New car suggestions

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Yup, I wasn’t just being a VW snob. I do love the Seats but have driven loads in work and there is definitely a difference in quality,

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
My only worry about going to England for a car is to be told a few porkies in the salesman describing his car to be mint and to find it’s actually a polo mint .i recently bought a car over the phone being described as stunning condition ,let’s say it is now after a trip to ag automotive to sort it out.

English sellers just seem to be lying *******s. Whether deliberate or otherwise....don't know. But they just are.

FFS I went over to buy a car in June, probably the easiest sale the ****er would ever get as I just wanted the car, photos looked great etc. Said it was great condition, no problems etc, full years MOT all the usual.
I arrive to Southampton, and yes it looks great, perhaps it did photograph a little better than it was. But still fine. Whilst doing paperwork I just decide to check the MOT online as they couldnt find the new certificate, just plenty of old ones. And lo and behold, the ****ing retards hadnt MOT'd the bloody thing.
They rush off to try and do this....it fails. Take it to a garage across the road for the repair ( nothing major, but still )....this is done. Then MOT place is closed for lunch so have to wait to retest. This **** went on for near 5 hours before I could actually get the car.

There is absolutely more choice across the water, but caveat emptor. Although same can apply locally, but at least it's usually only a short drive away.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
That's what put me off them too, my justification was if I'm paying that much tax a year in buying a 6.2 V8 Merc or the RS6 I ended up with 😂😂😂

Polestar blue looks the absolute nutts though!! One of the coolest modern wagons about

Edit: what annoys me most about the Volvo is the fact that the Germans have higher power 3L 6's coming in at the sub £300 tax band, so it's obviously something Volvo did emissions wise, or else the Germans are cheating at petrol emissions as well as diesels...

The D5 V60 Polestar hybrid I posted would be a great daily. D5 makes plenty of power and can easily and apparently very safely be remapped to much more. And it had negligible tax.

Regular one....bit plain looking but could have potential for a runabout. Online checker says zero tax

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
English sellers just seem to be lying *******s. Whether deliberate or otherwise....don't know. But they just are.

FFS I went over to buy a car in June, probably the easiest sale the ****er would ever get as I just wanted the car, photos looked great etc. Said it was great condition, no problems etc, full years MOT all the usual.
I arrive to Southampton, and yes it looks great, perhaps it did photograph a little better than it was. But still fine. Whilst doing paperwork I just decide to check the MOT online as they couldnt find the new certificate, just plenty of old ones. And lo and behold, the ****ing retards hadnt MOT'd the bloody thing.
They rush off to try and do this....it fails. Take it to a garage across the road for the repair ( nothing major, but still )....this is done. Then MOT place is closed for lunch so have to wait to retest. This **** went on for near 5 hours before I could actually get the car.

There is absolutely more choice across the water, but caveat emptor. Although same can apply locally, but at least it's usually only a short drive away.

To be fair I would have been checking the MOT before I booked the travel etc.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
And how fast do they update their system ? When they say it has just been MOT'd ?

It's pretty much instant or certainly within 10 minutes or so anyway. Just bought a car and it was to get a fresh MOT so ended up sitting at the PC waiting for the pass to come through before anything was arranged.

wes

RMS Regular
Seen a blue focus estate st line in work last night it looks really nice, have yous been on anymore test drives

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Seen a blue focus estate st line in work last night it looks really nice, have yous been on anymore test drives
We're taking a step back to decide on our needs. There's slim pickings for what we want so holding out for a good one.
S3 5door with DSG and as much spec as we can get seems to what we're settling on.
There's Golf Rs but undecided if we "need" the hot hatch-ness of it.
Also there's a Golf R estate has popped up to be for sale soon but its above budget and we're debating an estate at all now.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Good job just right not to jump in, good luck (y) my new car plans last year were squashed by the new kitchen extension the mrs wants :joy:
Our plans change daily so can't jump into anything. If we'd more choice it would be a different story.

Reactions: wes

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
FYI, with regards to maintenance costs which you mentioned previously, a VW warranty for our R is £330 per year. Just something to consider.

I can’t remember what @Deezer-D paid for the S3 one.

For that sort of money I’d definitely recommend it, complete peace of mind.

Reactions: Mel

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
FYI, with regards to maintenance costs which you mentioned previously, a VW warranty for our R is £330 per year. Just something to consider.

I can’t remember what @Deezer-D paid for the S3 one.

For that sort of money I’d definitely recommend it, complete peace of mind.

Also worth getting a proper one from Audi, chap I know bought an aftermarket one for his B8 RS4. It shat itself and it’s now a complete nightmare, needs a new engine and nobody is willing to stand over it!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Aye that’s what I meant. I got one from Audi on the TT, A7 and A8. TT one was £370 and covered £4500 of soft top repairs!

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Did you just ring Audi Belfast? VW one on the Touareg is about to expire and they're quoting £1700.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I did.

Did you get that quote online? Can’t understand why it’s so much more than the Golf. 🤷‍♂️

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Mine was £700 for 2 years for the S3 with Belfast Audi and includes breakdown cover. Not quite Audi warranty standard but not far off. Covers all engine, drivetrain and electrics

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Mine was £700 for 2 years for the S3 with Belfast Audi and includes breakdown cover. Not quite Audi warranty standard but not far off. Covers all engine, drivetrain and electrics
How do u mean "Not quite Audi warrenty" if its with Belfast Audi ?

And the way yous are talking have us worried that there's good reasons to need a warrenty ! Are they prone to expensive faults ?

TalkToFrank

RMS Regular
Drives
335i MT Touring
I would stick to the cars that hold their value and change every year or 2.... Rs focus, m3, Evo, 996, (997 might be slightly out of reach) RS4 etc etc.... go round them all till you find one you can't let go!

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback

And the way yous are talking have us worried that there's good reasons to need a warrenty ! Are they prone to expensive faults ?

It’s an aftermarket warranty sold by Agnews franchises that is underwritten by a company called AutoProtect. It’s a fairly good warranty in fairness. I took one for my CLS at a cost of £600. Worth it in my eyes. However you must get the car serviced by Agnews in order for it to hold water.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE

It’s Agnews AutoProtect warranty. All work carried out by Belfast Audi using Audi parts. Covers probably 95% of the stuff the manufacturers warranty covers including STronic gearbox, engine, turbo etc. Haven’t got access to the booklet as I’m away but it is an excellent warranty especially when you take into account the breakdown cover. Also has an MOT guarantee that if it fails they’ll sort the issue unless a wear and tear item like baldy tyres

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.