New Careless Driving Penalty Introduced in NI

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
IMG_1449.jpeg

Just launched today this. Three points at the roadside for careless driving or a careless driving course can be offered.

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Fix a few brake checkers too. Not that I condone driving too close to people but some people take the pi$$

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Had a driver yesterday who could have done with one, I was overtaking and as I was nearly beside them they swung out to overtake the car infront of them forcing me onto the shoulder. Didn't bother to check their mirrors at all.

and as usual, you beep the horn to let them know you're there and it's all your fault all of a sudden

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Had a driver yesterday who could have done with one, I was overtaking and as I was nearly beside them they swung out to overtake the car infront of them forcing me onto the shoulder. Didn't bother to check their mirrors at all.

and as usual, you beep the horn to let them know you're there and it's all your fault all of a sudden
I had similar happen to me last year. I contacted the police and provided them with dash cam footage of the incident. Cops called me and said it's basically my fault for accelerating (well within the speed limit) to drive past them and I must have been in their blind spot.

I didn't know cars had blind spots the size of an estate. Maybe Audis do.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
I had similar happen to me last year. I contacted the police and provided them with dash cam footage of the incident. Cops called me and said it's basically my fault for accelerating (well within the speed limit) to drive past them and I must have been in their blind spot.

I didn't know cars had blind spots the size of an estate. Maybe Audis do.
That's madness. What's the point in reporting anything with police like that?

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Who determines what "careless" is?

Sounds very subjective to me.

Pretty easy to determine and Driving without Due Care and Attention or Incomsiderate Driving.

Anything that falls below the minimum standard of a careful driver as well as all your usual pulling out of junctions causing accidents etc.

As the usual range for Careless driving is 3-6 points in court , this FPN at 3 points is only aimed at the lower end of Careless/Inconsidedate Driving which includes driving too slow, not using indicators properly, causing other vehicles to slow down by pulling in front of them…

Obv you don’t need to accept the FPN and can be contested

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Who determines what "careless" is?

Sounds very subjective to me.
Doris might think I’m careless doing 60 mph on the motorbike approaching the junction she is pulling out of as I should slow and anticipate for driver error.
I might think Doris is careless for her being in my sight for 10 seconds and she still pulls out on me at the last moment.

At ground level it is very subjective but in law (I would hope) that Doris would be found to be careless over myself.