V8/V6
5D1C5838-3116-41C5-8FD3-C9076BD5B604.jpeg
D99ECCCF-9647-4755-B937-30715A3F727E.jpeg
F0E1986D-AB54-40BA-BD80-26151E618D9A.jpeg
F0B4FD7E-06E8-4391-AEBB-199E2D6A2DA4.jpeg

Last edited:

simy

RMS Regular
Seen that last night, official launch is tomorrow anyway I think.
Quite like the look of the three door version.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Love the look of the green one in the first image with the steel wheels, very cool!

Based on those SA prices, the 90 is £45k though! Surely that can't be right?!

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Not a massive fan of the images of it ... Colour is lovely though. Very nice interior too

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
Nice enough, but not the same kinda machine as a defender.

Should have consigned the "Defender" name to history and called this something else. By calling it Defender it will draw comparisons that it are unfair to draw.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Cheaper than that Bryan, unfortunately the wrangler is $30k stateside and they're no different to the ones you get here, so you pay nearly £40k for a £25k motor :neutral:

They do at least have proper axles.

I did laugh at the line from LR above about experienced offroaders blah blah... settings. Fine tuning the level of slip for each wheel, etc etc is on noones radar bar the guy writing the sales brochure and perhaps some blokes in the pub.

Not that any of these will see more than some 'experience centre' somewhere that could be mostly cleared by someone with a bit of sense in an old Corolla.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
they'll sell to the same people as the run-out of the previous model, the likes of barbara barbour jacket from ballyholme for driving to the garden centre in donaghadee.

The other demographic is the guys who'll drop them in at a 4x4 place to have them lifted, fitted with modulars and 33'' tyres, 12 spotlights, a winch and use them to park in the field at the local farmers market on a sunday (And spend the rest of the afternoon washing them)

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Pretty well looking at the tow capacity!
Capacity is all well and good but that "active" locking diff and those shiny alloy wheels don't get the traction in the back field after it's been raining all week.

It really looks like this should have been the new Discovery.
Defender is basically a cross between a van and a tractor. I'm not sure how many farmers (or explorers) care about having an infotainment screen, but the fact a towbar is an optional extra probably will matter. And also probably tells you all you need to know about it.

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
Capacity is all well and good but that "active" locking diff and those shiny alloy wheels don't get the traction in the back field after it's been raining all week.

It really looks like this should have been the new Discovery.
Defender is basically a cross between a van and a tractor. I'm not sure how many farmers (or explorers) care about having an infotainment screen, but the fact a towbar is an optional extra probably will matter. And also probably tells you all you need to know about it.

What 4x4 scheduled for release in the next few years doesn’t have electronically controlled diffs and transfer cases or an infotainment system apart from the Dacia Duster?

Times and markets have moved on. All the electrical gubbins isn’t just for show, the new Landcruisers are evidence of that. Yes some of us are mad enough to lust after the original Defender but 99.999% of buyers have no interest in a tin lunchbox propelled by a thirsty and gutless oil burner.

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's not a prehistoric Defender agricultural implement replacement.

It's a "smaller" Disco, or a less posh Evoque if you prefer.

And it will sell in droves to the same people who buy either of those. At a nice wee margin. And there are a lot more of them than money pinching farmers loading sheep in the back.

The latter will continue to buy actual tractors and quads for the fields, and an old Disco or Landcruiser with a trailer for the market.

As for Wranglers, they might look cool until you actually sit in one. Never mind drive the wretched things, lol 😇

Bryan

RMS Regular
As for Wranglers, they might look cool until you actually sit in one. Never mind drive the wretched things, lol 😇

Oh believe me I know how bad they are... mine has leaf springs all round. Nice thing to look at but there's nothing nice at all about how it drives :p

That being said, however, I'd still love a brand new 4 door one and if Jeep wants to give me one (hint hint) for promotional purposes to tow the YJ around bring it on (y)

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The big Wrangler is basically a Suburban or something similarly horrid, is it not?

Second worst car I've ever been in, lol, but they do look ultra cool 😎