1872C957-7065-455F-A3EE-276CD3C65C1E.jpeg

DD1CD34B-E87F-4447-B8B8-18F56967EA4C.jpeg

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
The cheap and cheerful argument doesn’t even hold water anyway. Reasonably specced 110s were pushing over £50k and well beyond towards the end of the production run. The new one seems like a bargain in comparison!

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
Drives
Italian
The more I look at it the more I like it but have to say not in a Defender way. I'll be keeping my TD5 for many years by the look of it.

And I agree with Bryan, I don't get that square panel on the side ?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I have to say, I like the dash layout, or at least what can be seen here:

2928A1C9-E95A-4E3F-AFB4-9FBCB8A39AAC.jpeg

AE174E3E-0DFF-4BBF-8513-0073F827F604.jpeg

Price list will obviously cause controversy, though comparing it to the old model Defender is daft as it’s a different vehicle with a different target audience and nothing in common with the utilitarian vehicle the name used to be associated with IMO, as with so many cars that have been re-released and try to live off the old namesakes heritage and following.

ECD8C1F8-0C83-4980-B452-D41EB260A06C.jpeg

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Every car these days has a vastly inflated list price...Clever marketing to push people into monthly payments...

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
So, someone with no automotive experience (as far as I know) gets unspecified government grants to build a knockoff of a 40-year old defender as a showcase of modern technology and innovation.

It will be built from a chassis and body from Portugal, a German engine, and will be engineered in Germany.

But it will be bolted together in a factory in Wales which does not exist, but which will get more government grants.

I can't see anything wrong here at all, guaranteed success 😇

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I had what can only be described as the total and utter misfortune to drive a Defender today. It was a full farmer spec 110 model I believe. Granted the particular example I was driving was a 2005 model and had 126k on the clocks but it was without doubt the single worst vehicle I have ever driven and the milage had nothing to do with why it was so awful.

Now I'm not a small bloke being that I'm 6ft, not slim and have size 11 feet. First up the seat doesn't go far enough back to be comfortable for me, this actually had a positive as it meant that I could put the window down and put my right arm/shoulder out it as there certainly wasn't enough room inside the cabin for them. The interior door pull spent all day digging into/restricting my right leg to the point where I now have I bruise on it, the handbrake also spent all day digging into my left leg and there is a bruise there also. Is there a worse positioned handbrake lever in the car industry? I doubt it. The pedal box is also very tight, or it was for me and my size 11 boots anyway. Due to my leg being restricted by the stupid door pull I found it hard to actually move from the accelerator to the brake. I also found the clutch and brake pedals to be very high. And that's just the start of what I found wrong with this.

How people drive these everyday is beyond me. As a tool for hauling feed across fields I'm sure they're great but as a road vehicle they are dangerous in my opinion. If I ever have to drive one again it will be way way too soon.

Last edited:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I had what can only be described as the total and utter misfortune to drive a Defender today. It was a full farmer spec 110 model I believe. Granted the particular example I was driving was a 2005 model and had 126k on the clocks but it was without doubt the single worst vehicle I have ever driven and the milage had nothing to do with why it was so awful.

Now I'm not a small bloke being that I'm 6ft, not slim and have size 11 feet. First up the seat doesn't go far enough back to be comfortable for me, this actually had a positive as it meant that I could put the window down and put my right arm/shoulder out it as there certainly wasn't enough room inside the cabin for them. The interior door pull spent all day digging into/restricting my right leg to the point where I now have I bruise on it, the handbrake also spent all day digging into my left leg and there is a bruise there also. Is there a worse positioned handbrake lever in the car industry? I doubt it. The pedal box is also very tight, or it was for me and my size 11 boots anyway. Due to my leg being restricted by the stupid door pull I found it hard to actually move from the accelerator to the brake. I also found the clutch and brake pedals to be very high. And that's just the start of what I found wrong with this.

How people drive these everyday is beyond me. As a tool for hauling feed across fields I'm sure they're great but as a road vehicle they are dangerous in my opinion. If I ever have to drive one again it will be way way too soon.

They are truly terrible. Worse in the rain, as you can’t create more space by putting the window down.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
So why is everyone moaning about Landrover replacing it with something the majority of people might actually want to buy?

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
So why is everyone moaning about Landrover replacing it with something the majority of people might actually want to buy?

No idea, must be rose tinted glasses..... So heavily tinted they can't actually see anything!

Still in pain this morning where the door pull and handbrake lever were digging into me.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Can’t see many forking out £40k++ for a defender, unless it becomes the must have Chelsea tractor.

Dave..

RMS Regular

I loved my Defender for driving off road but on road with full mud tyres it was a death trap. I feel your pain, I drove mine from Belfast to Tandragee and then to Newtownards - my back was wrecked for weeks. I had to have help to get out of the thing. I am 6` 4" and the lack of legroom was awful. Mine was a 1992 with sh1t seats.
I sometimes look at a 110 and think I would love one but then remember what long drives were like and quickly change my mind,......

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
Drives
Italian
"WOOHOO" I must have the best Defender ever! We go everywhere in our 110, even call them mini adventures and have been all over the UK in it. We simply love it. Ok Im not the tallest so fit perfectly. It even has aircon, heated seats and a heated windscreen, plus its Alive tuned which does help a lot.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
I find with the original defender you get used to especially once you get going and crusing along, town driving and parking can get quite annoying lol, I love them deep down though.

With the new defender they are due dealer tours by the end of the year as far as Im aware. We've had Alot of enquiries on them since the reveal, there was 10 or so the following day in the first hour of opening. I can imagine alot of discovery owners thinking of changing. Regards to pricing... Have you see the price range for a fairly decent spec new model of any of the range? Especially the new "2020" evoque and discovery sports, though the defender does have a VERY vast price point, then again are aiming for a Very vast client market too.

Last edited:

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
I find with the original defender you get used to especially once you get going and crusing along, town driving and parking can get quite annoying lol, I love them deep down though.

With the new defender they are due dealer tours here November time as far as Im aware. We've had Alot of enquiries on them since the reveal, there was 10 or so the following day in the first hour of opening. I can imagine alot of discovery owners thinking of changing. Regards to pricing... Have you see the price range for a fairly decent spec new model of any of the range? Especially the new "2020" evoque and discovery sports, though the defender does have a VERY vast price point, then again are aiming for a Very vast client market too.

Not only that, price up a new Landcruiser (which we only get in SWB now I think)

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
Best review I've watched yet and all from a guy in front of a desk.

Just gets better and better. Proper talk about the pros and cons from someone who knows a hell of a lot about 4x4s