new diesel regulations

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

scub

Banned
so after years of being told by the green tree hugging lobby that diesel was the way to go & getting other associated benefits to buy /run a diesel car ,
they now seem to have done a complete u turn & derv drivers are officially on a par with rapists & homicidal lunatics.
London to introduce £10 vehicle pollution charge, says Sadiq Khan
new taxes to come in from oct & god help you if you drive an older diesel anywhere near london -
that's £10 per day - every day ...
never had or will have a derv personally but that's 1 complete balls up of a set of regulations....
lunatics in charge of the asylum or what ????

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
so after years of being told by the green tree hugging lobby that diesel was the way to go & getting other associated benefits to buy /run a diesel car ,
they now seem to have done a complete u turn & derv drivers are officially on a par with rapists & homicidal lunatics.
London to introduce £10 vehicle pollution charge, says Sadiq Khan
new taxes to come in from oct & god help you if you drive an older diesel anywhere near london -
that's £10 per day - every day ...
never had or will have a derv personally but that's 1 complete balls up of a set of regulations....
lunatics in charge of the asylum or what ????

It's the same as everything else...just a money spinner. Although I imagine there are huge numbers of vehicles in London with false plates too because of the congestion charge.

Although he mentions the additional charge in 2019 for outlying regions of London will not apply to taxi's ? Some of the dirtiest smelliest vehicles on the road ?
What about hauliers, delivery drivers, ambulances etc etc.

Wages in the area must be insane to pay for the greedy whores in charge.

And if the hippies did ever say diesel was the future...it shows how ****ed up their heads are with all matters...even climate change.

Diesel always has been stinking and dirty. It may be more fuel efficient in terms of moving vehicles...but the two are not the same. So if the tree huggers have been telling people differently, they need a huge kick in the fanny and the government should fine them, just like they did VW for supposedly spoofing about emissions.

dervsport

RMS Regular
NOx is the big problem and diesels produce a lot more of this than petrols. Some streets in London have the highest NOx levels in Europe. It's very nasty stuff, very carsonogenic and with all the large buildings in the centre of London it just hangs in the air and doesn't get dispersed.

Dervhead

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT
My mechanic who is Ford mad told me Ford were beginning to phase out diesel. I had a very quick look online & it seems Renault aren't putting anymore into it anyway. Beginning of the end perhaps?

Reactions: DC.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
I believe Paris is for banning diesel from the city, period. So unless you happen to have a lorry, delivery van etc, you'll not be allowed in.

Personally I think they should bring in emissions testing for diesels at MOT. The stink of some of them driving past theres no way they're working correctly.

Bedhead

RMS Regular
Drives
Mundaneo, Scudo
I believe Paris is for banning diesel from the city, period. So unless you happen to have a lorry, delivery van etc, you'll not be allowed in.

Personally I think they should bring in emissions testing for diesels at MOT. The stink of some of them driving past theres no way they're working correctly.

Which is ironic as the frogs were among the first to produce diesel engines that actually were ok in a passenger car and weren't a glorified forklift engine or lifted from a van.

Emissions testing will be a good thing but without actually having the thing under full load on a dyno how will you do it? Revving it under no load will do sweet FA. Didn't they try it over here, wreck a few engines and get an MOT tester chinned?

I can see the future being small turbo petrols, N/A bike engines have been over 100bhp a litre for nearly 40 years, no reason that modern car engines can't make say 150bhp from a 1.0 with a load of torque.

whyme?

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk IV Golf
My mechanic who is Ford mad told me Ford were beginning to phase out diesel. I had a very quick look online & it seems Renault aren't putting anymore into it anyway. Beginning of the end perhaps?
Renaults next move is a hybrid assist diesel which we will see in the new Scenic 4.
Its a 80hp electric kers kind of system.
But after that I'm not sure there's anything more that can be done to reduce emissions levels

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
The next step will be a widespread roll-out of e-car charging points. Realistically they need to be at every supermarket, shopping centre & multi-storey car park.

Whilst phasing derv out (y)(y) they need to give people a viable alternative to petrol.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
There are rumours that Volkswagen is going to stop production of all small diesel engines (those under 2 liters) by 2020. They have confirmed already that the development of a new 1.5 TDi has been stopped and that they are going to be focusing on what they call 'mild hybrids' instead of diesels.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I spend a lot of time in Paris, and you do feel choked with diesel fumes. The air down in the 1/4/7/8/11/15 arrondissements would make you feel sick at rush hour. When you're sitting in covered sections of the peripherique you can get light headed.

At the minute they operate a scheme where on one day only plates ending in an even number are allowed in, and odds the next day.

vtec1

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus st
2qb5cms.jpg

Bedhead

RMS Regular
Drives
Mundaneo, Scudo
The next step will be a widespread roll-out of e-car charging points. Realistically they need to be at every supermarket, shopping centre & multi-storey car park.

Whilst phasing derv out (y)(y) they need to give people a viable alternative to petrol.

E cars are fine if you have your own drive, but where I live you seldom get parked anywhere near your own property and when you do get parked you're halfway up the footpath, you'd literally need charging ponits built into the kerb every 15 feet.

Reactions: DC.

Charlieboyoo

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3 bmw M240i
E cars are fine if you have your own drive, but where I live you seldom get parked anywhere near your own property and when you do get parked you're halfway up the footpath, you'd literally need charging ponits built into the kerb every 15 feet.
Very good point.wat about apartment blocks?its in the same dilemma

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.