New Ford Puma

johnm

RMS Regular
Was time to thankfully hand the better halfs Corsa back. Spent a couple of weeks reading through review after review and trips to various forecourts to see what anything looked like in the flesh on Sundays to avoid the sales pitches lol.

Finally we had it narrowed down to a Merc GLA 250 AMG line or a Ford Puma.
Had a good look online at reviews and offers and decided to head down to Salt Marine to look at the Puma and then Agnew's in Craigavon for Merc.

I'll get Agnew's out of the way first. They couldn't have been less interested in a sale if they tried. First comment from his mouth was to complain about having to clean the car if we weren't going to buy it. Didn't know the spec of the car themselves and didn't believe me when I told them to then repeat it to me when they got the print out. Dead battery and it conked out on the test drive. Paint work was woeful on it too. The car itself was great and we probably would have took it had they been any way competent. However it lead us to this....

Ford Puma 1.0 ecoboost hybrid 155ps, ST Line X first edition plus. 😂
Has pretty much every pack bar the comfort pack which is the heated seats and steering wheel (we thought these were on it but only noticed on the drive home so I need to see if they can sort it out).

Picked it up two weeks ago and dropped it up to PMG. Got it back a couple of days later and she is over the moon with it.
Have to say its a comfy place to sit, and the 1litre engine is punch enough. Boot has a funky addition of a 'wet box' which will come in handy hiking and storing wet suits etc.

Only thing I've noticed is it has a bit of torque steer when in sport mode and push it along a bit.
Have to say Tony at Saltmarine was brilliant, would definitely recommend them.

IMG_20200702_162720~2.jpg
IMG_20200702_184404~2.jpg
IMG_20200702_184424.jpg
IMG_20200702_182603.jpg
IMG_20200718_102645.jpg
IMG_20200718_102752.jpg

First wash yesterday and finished of with hybrid has it sitting 👌🏻

IMG_20200718_091824.jpg
IMG_20200718_102844~2.jpg

Dave..

RMS Regular
Lovely, the red really pops.

We had a bad experience at Salt Marine, we were going to see the new MX5. The woman in reception was more interested in her phone than talking to us.
The sales man looked really p1ssed off having to find the keys so we could sit in the car.
We didn’t stay long.

Last edited:

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
My da was thinking about changing his eco sport st line for one of these. Have seen one knocking about looks a good looking car.

I really like the wee EcoBoost engines my dads one is the 140 and it goes well for what it is and sounds fantastic lol.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Love these and this looks great, spotted the new Kuga aswell and couldn’t believe it was a kuga it was fantastic looking.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Cheers all.

We had a bad experience at Salt Marine, we were going to see the new MX5. The woman in reception was more interested in her phone than talking to us.
The sales man looked really p1ssed off having to find the keys so we could sit in the car.
We didn’t stay long.
Hahaha, just goes to show it all does just come down to who turns up for work on the day.

My da was thinking about changing his eco sport st line for one of these. Have seen one knocking about looks a good looking car.
I really like the wee EcoBoost engines my dads one is the 140 and it goes well for what it is and sounds fantastic lol.
They do have a decent note when you put it into sport mode which surprised me from a 1.0 even if it is turbo'd, genuinely surprised me. The electric part of it is great too as it kicks in to help it along at lower rev's so you don't need to step down a gear.

Good reviews for these.
That was a big factor in it along with a high safety rating. With Jess doing a fair bit of miles (and long hours) around the Southern Trust doing GP training for the next couple of years I wanted her in something that doesn't get blown about like a leaf. From driving the Surf the odd time she liked the idea of being higher up so this mini-SUV type style works. Feels well planted while ins't too big or cumbersome, has great visibility all round it. Loves the reversing camera too so I think I might have to put one into the surf lol.
Parts of the tech pack like the lane assist, camera and Led lights is 100% worth it. LED dash is pretty cool too lol.

Need to see about a dashcam for it.

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
These are growing on me the more of them I see. I can see the original Puma in the headlights.... That red is really nice, too. Good luck with it.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Had one for a week during lockdown and the best part about it was the 'boot box'... I really don't know how it has won 'car of the year' award(s).

I really must get my review done. Oh, it went very well too, in fairness.

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
Really love these, saw one the other week for first time and had to double take then get straight on to Google . No doubt it'll drive really well too as most fords do and looks like it will age well too. All the best with it!.

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
Wasn’t keen on them when they came out but I’ve seen a few about and they look great. First one I saw was that primer grey and it didn’t do it any favours.
What’s the back like for space for kids etc?

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
I think it is a really cool motor. Looks fantastic and just that wee bit edgy that other manufacturers are afraid to try.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Wasn’t keen on them when they came out but I’ve seen a few about and they look great. First one I saw was that primer grey and it didn’t do it any favours.
What’s the back like for space for kids etc?

Back seats are roomy enough. I'd read that the panoramic roof can reduce the head room in the rear but I've had my kid brother in there who is 6'4 and no issues at all. Doors aren't too long either so doesn't need much space to open fully.
Boot floor has two levels you can set the floor at, a metre clearance from side to side and the parcel shelf is flexible to bend around anything that might poke up a bit.

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
Wow looks a cool wee car that, haven't actually seen any on the road. Something a bit different I like it 👍