New Normski Family Wagon - 2020 Kia Proceed GT

Normski

RMS Regular
Drives
987 BoxsterS
The big Passat wagon finally died for the last time about 4 weeks ago so I didn’t have the want or means to try to throw more at it for it to happen again so had to bite the bullet and go for something a bit newer with a warranty.

Didnt have the luxury of a massive budget and the recent experiences with VAGs had put me off going for something like that again and something without a known history and warranty to fall back on.

While quietly watching random car vids on YouTube one night I came across these new Proceeds, I’d never considered a KIA but the car looked class, I’d never seen one on the road, it fitted in with what I was after, still wanted an estate but a slightly smaller one now that kid is grown up a bit was ideal and the quality looked miles ahead of KIAs of old, I looked at my budget and figured I could make one of these work so found a year old Ex-Demonstrator at Downeys a few weeks ago and after a look at it and test drive the rest is history.

Wont rhyme off all the details, google can fill in the rest but:

Black KIA Proceed GT, now just hit 7k miles.
1.6 GDI Petrol Turbo 204hp
7 speed Dual Clutch with paddles with a normal and sport mode. (Sport mode improves throttle and steering and opens a flap in exhaust to make a nicer sound etc)
Plenty of kit, led headlights and taillights, 5mm lower than non GT models, red GT accents throughout inside heated seats and steering wheel, nav, apple car play, leather and Alcantata seats, lane keep assist, park assist, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres as standard, 6 years warranty remaining, reverse camera blah blah, plenty of kit as you seen to get with KIA these days.

My first time owning an auto and I’m glad I’ve done it, so easy to drive and takes some stress out of traffic travel etc. Have done about 2/300 miles since got it a few weeks ago and it’s been great so far, even the wife who was sceptical has taken to it happily.

Anyway, photos, haven’t got somewhere with a nicer backdrop to get decent ones but here she is in all her glory:

06A14229-BC4D-4C47-9575-07151ABD2689.jpeg

5458899C-400D-4130-B77A-317C2FEFC915.jpeg

89999923-55A9-49AA-8B08-DCECDB309C70.jpeg

158D3BB1-945A-4DC6-9D37-655C4B380436.jpeg

E64708F6-3A7A-4934-8761-AE11818B06D4.jpeg

72FF7A94-DC87-495E-9ECD-B38E1CD3D1C6.jpeg

3F7EB4B4-8150-4823-94FC-25E860CFDAEF.jpeg

7B91001F-4880-4D2F-B75B-D675FB2F227F.jpeg

451982C5-EDF1-4254-855B-8BEBB105D103.jpeg

721C73F0-F03C-4214-9956-A0447447FA4F.jpeg

7AF79BFA-C278-4746-B960-FE1CA0B8DF65.jpeg

68BC670C-FF40-432F-A5E0-46B9B8B0B077.jpeg

89BC5BBC-A27D-4CB7-970D-944AA37DC68A.jpeg

2C651E93-161C-4279-B090-199027AA4D35.jpeg
D2F881FE-BAA7-4713-863F-A0E4466D176F.jpeg

Thanks for looking 😀

Normski

RMS Regular
OP
Normski
Drives
987 BoxsterS
When I seen Kia Proceed, I just thought ugh. But that's actually really nice.

Before I discovered it and seen it I’d probably have said the same, first 2 generations were 3 doors, they went for something a bit different with this one, it defo catches some looks from people who have probably never seen one before then realise it’s a KIA, not a bad thing I guess

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
You know my thoughts. Great to see something different. Health to drive mate.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
That looks great, and as you said, I don't think I have seen one. Certainly not in the GT spec.

Looks to be somewhere between a hatchback and an estate?

Only thing I don't like is that chrome shape in the rear side windows. Would be a de-chrome for me, or at least dechrome that bit.

My mate has a normal Ceed and its coming up to the end of its 7 year warranty and he has been so impressed by the stuff still covered.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I had never heard of them either until the guy down the street bought one. Heard this "throaty" noise driving past, turned round and thought "wtf was that?"

Sound good and look well, his is white.

Normski

RMS Regular
OP
Normski
Drives
987 BoxsterS
Thanks all, I’m still at that early marriage stage with it so it can’t do no wrong at the moment lol, hopefully that continues, will get to a cars and coffee or two if I can.

That’s actually lovely, dechrome would really add to the aggression too!
Yeah I get what you’re saying, would defo look more aggressive, the front bits are like a shadow chrome, side full chrome. I promised her indoors I wouldn’t mess with this one like I did the Passat so may have to just have ideas for the time being lol.

That looks great, and as you said, I don't think I have seen one. Certainly not in the GT spec.

Looks to be somewhere between a hatchback and an estate?

Only thing I don't like is that chrome shape in the rear side windows. Would be a de-chrome for me, or at least dechrome that bit.

My mate has a normal Ceed and its coming up to the end of its 7 year warranty and he has been so impressed by the stuff still covered.
cheers, they call it a ‘shooting brake’, bit like the Merc CLA with some sneaky Porsche design Ques. There is the normal hatchback Ceed and a sportwagon (estate) which is boxier at back so has bit more carrying space but the design of this won me over and it works very well. The Shark fin thing is a bit random but it’s not offending me too much.

The warranty thing was a big point for me, I know it’s not always worth what it’s hyped up to be but I couldn’t take any chances again on engine issues and as long as I don’t fettle with it there should be no issue anything goes wrong.

I had never heard of them either until the guy down the street bought one. Heard this "throaty" noise driving past, turned round and thought "wtf was that?"

Sound good and look well, his is white.

It does make a good howl for what it is, cold start opens the exhaust flap and it sounds angry, I also think in Sport mode it plays some fake noises inside so I haven’t heard it from the outside yet but I’ve been told it can be heard coming from up the road 👍🏻

thomas_lad

RMS Regular
Thanks all, I’m still at that early marriage stage with it so it can’t do no wrong at the moment lol, hopefully that continues, will get to a cars and coffee or two if I can.

Yeah I get what you’re saying, would defo look more aggressive, the front bits are like a shadow chrome, side full chrome. I promised her indoors I wouldn’t mess with this one like I did the Passat so may have to just have ideas for the time being lol.
Could you not just wrap the chrome so it is reversible? so you're not "messing with it" you are just "temporarily altering it".

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Well done for resisting the VAG magnet that is perceived quality. It's only perceived through marketing hype and slightly nicer plastics and trim make the VAG group irresistable to many weaker beings....... like me! :p Though I doubt the Skoda would be nearly as nice to sit in at that weapon of choice.

Normski

RMS Regular
OP
Normski
Drives
987 BoxsterS
Well done for resisting the VAG magnet that is perceived quality. It's only perceived through marketing hype and slightly nicer plastics and trim make the VAG group irresistable to many weaker beings....... like me! :p Though I doubt the Skoda would be nearly as nice to sit in at that weapon of choice.

Haha, thanks and I totally get you sir, nothing against VAGs or the likes but I’ve had a few and now this, in terms of comfort and feel inside etc there’s no real difference to me as a man needing a reliable family wagon to get about in and if I walked up the road every day for a week I’d see a few hundred VAGs and BMWs, yet to see another one of these. Fair do’s to the peeps who can afford the latest Beemers and Mercs, they look superb and I wouldn’t say no if you give me it but the mix of newness, warranty, spec and uniqueness for the price I got this for was too hard pass up 😃👍🏻

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Nice. I'm obviously out of touch with things when I read that a standard 1.6 diesel is 200bhp+. And it's not a VAG, which gets my vote too. Nice looking car. Enjoy.

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
I really like the look of that. What’s it like on fuel and tax?

Is there any sneaky stipulations to keep the 7year warranty?