New rider question (bike bought 27/1/20)

Turbokid89

RMS Regular
Drives
E34,e36M3,skoda
Hi folks might be a silly question but as off yesterday I now have a full bike license after passing it first time with 2 faults but question I have is should I buy my first bike with ABS or none ABS as the bikes I like are late 80's or 90's

Am not going to be doing any crazy speeds etc just going back and forward to work when it's dry or day trip out some where

Thanks jay

Lee

RMS Regular
Hi folks might be a silly question but as off yesterday I now have a full bike license after passing it first time with 2 faults but question I have is should I buy my first bike with ABS or none ABS as the bikes I like are late 80's or 90's

Am not going to be doing any crazy speeds etc just going back and forward to work when it's dry or day trip out some where

Thanks jay

Well done.

I passed my test last year and my bike doesn't have ABS. I've covered 10,000 miles on it with no problems. Having to brake very hard in the wet I'd imagine is where it would come in handy. Personally I wouldn't let it be a deciding factor in buying a bike.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
What about the Harley mate?

Get out...

@Turbokid89 I wouldn't let ABS be a deciding factor on a bike. You’ll soon get used to braking pressure on the lever and pedal. Buy something you’re comfortable on and can get your confidence up on as there’s nothing worse than cramping arms, hands or back if you’ve any distance to travel.

Last edited:

Turbokid89

RMS Regular
OP
Turbokid89
Drives
E34,e36M3,skoda
Thanks folks for the replys I see what's all about for sale then and take it from there

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
ABS wouldn't be available on most 80's or 90's bikes except maybe tourers or big sports tourers, K100 that sort of thing.
Personally I like ABS, I've had 3 bikes with ABS and 3 without it. I could count on one hand the number of times I've actually felt it operate but it's nice to know it's there.
Training myself to countersteer without thinking about it and look exactly where I want to go, was more useful than any ABS, but I don't think they tell you about it in riding lessons at all.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
My big bike is ABS with combined braking. It works well.
My hack is standard braking and is decent. When I commute and filtering I tend to use the rear brake but as a rider it’s good to build up experience on non ABS bikes.

if I was to buy a bike I would likely opt for ABS option as previously posted it’s a nice to have when you need it

would not worry if it’s a good bike and suits your needs if non ABS

AC

RMS Regular
I have ABS and I’ve never needed to brake hard enough for it to kick in. Nice to have as a failsafe but as above, it wouldn’t put me off buying a bike.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
Personally I hate the abs on my supermoto, anytime you want to lock the back wheel the abs kicks in and to disarm it you have to go through a procedure or holding buttons in taking your bike for a walk around the car park. Nice to have abs on the front for peace of mind, but I have never needed it before

Scuba Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
S3/V4S/X5/R
I have ABS and I’ve never needed to brake hard enough for it to kick in. Nice to have as a failsafe but as above, it wouldn’t put me off buying a bike.

mine kicks in often LOL!

Turbokid89

RMS Regular
OP
Turbokid89
Drives
E34,e36M3,skoda
So thought I would up date this so yesterday was on Facebook and come across this 2000 Suzuki bandit 600cc 25k miles and same owner from new original tool kit owner manuals 2 keys etc does have a few things done to it but am over the moon with it just can't wait to the better weather

IMG_20200128_153657_518.jpg

IMG_20200128_153657_507.jpg

IMG_20200128_153657_509.jpg

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
That wee Bandit used to belong to a mate of mine. It’s a lot of red...

Best of luck with it 🤙

Manover50

RMS Regular
Drives
JaguarXFR-S
ABS on bikes from the 80s or 90s wouldn't be even 10% as good as modern versions but tyres have come on massively since then.
Good tyres with good progressive brake feel will be as good for 99% of riding.... that other 1% your likely going to be praying with your eyes closed with or without ABS.
Get some advance rider training or a trackday where you can push the brakes harder and test your own and your bikes abilities and learn to better control the bike.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
^I'm quite happy to go out for a run with anyone and show/explain the basics of advanced riding.. Not an observer or anything but I'd be confident I could explain the gist pretty well.

Even Bikesafe (very worthwhile doing) is largely based on IPSGA and advanced stuff so if you use that as a stepping stone you're already improved

Last edited: