Next Trackskills Track Day at Kirkistown is Sunday 25th September.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mike_2

RMS Regular
Drives
MR2, EP3 TypeR
As if we needed a reminder motorsport,ahem sorry track driving was dangerous and to always expect the unexpected, it was yesterday.
Glad all are ok and the only dent's where to the cars and drivers pride. I looked at the back of the silver Clio and thought it doesn't look to bad, then I walked round to the front (bit of a farther Ted moment). Unfortunate as it was going very well up to that point as well :worried:.

mk3doc

RMS Regular
Drives
mk3 tuebo /gti 1
image.jpeg

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Cars can be replaced at the end of the day pity tho car had a full engine rebuild and was on the ball last track day and the same with this one reappearance will be made tho

Gutted for you, but you're lucky to walk away from that without any damage to yourself.

Onto the next one. (y)

mike_2

RMS Regular
Drives
MR2, EP3 TypeR
Question for the collective wisdom of RMS.

The locking brake problem returned to the MR2, which generally results in a spin.
When braking hard the back wheels intermittently lock up and put the car into a spin.
Upon recovery the ABS light stays on and the brake pedal feels hard with little travel, return to the pits, leave the car sit a while and everything returns to normal (difficult to tell if the ABS light is part of the problem, or only comes on as a result of the spin).
Fortunately it only happened once this weekend, but it happened several times the previous track day,so much so we just had to call it a day.
The brake hoses were changed and we use Mintex race pads as opposed to the previous yellow stuff.

What do folk's think, Caliper, pads, ABS sensor/module, from a friend traveling behind at the time it appears the left rear smoked and was the wheel that lock up (after that he was busy figuring out how to avoid hitting us :grinning:).

Video from yesterday as well (no spinning in this one)

mk3doc

RMS Regular
Drives
mk3 tuebo /gti 1
What actually happened there? Lol
Just going to hard into the chicane it was bit of a blank tbh but just think hitting the second apex put the car of balance and over she went it was my first experience of sliding down the track on the roof but never again will I go out without a roll cage

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
Just going to hard into the chicane it was bit of a blank tbh but just think hitting the second apex put the car of balance and over she went it was my first experience of sliding down the track on the roof but never again will I go out without a roll cage

Yeah cage really gives you confidence and obviously saves your skin if something like this happens! Never thought I'd see one roll there tbh lol

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Question for the collective wisdom of RMS.

The locking brake problem returned to the MR2, which generally results in a spin.
When braking hard the back wheels intermittently lock up and put the car into a spin.
Upon recovery the ABS light stays on and the brake pedal feels hard with little travel, return to the pits, leave the car sit a while and everything returns to normal (difficult to tell if the ABS light is part of the problem, or only comes on as a result of the spin).
Fortunately it only happened once this weekend, but it happened several times the previous track day,so much so we just had to call it a day.
The brake hoses were changed and we use Mintex race pads as opposed to the previous yellow stuff.

What do folk's think, Caliper, pads, ABS sensor/module, from a friend traveling behind at the time it appears the left rear smoked and was the wheel that lock up (after that he was busy figuring out how to avoid hitting us :grinning:).

Video from yesterday as well (no spinning in this one)

Can you pull a fuse to disable the abs?

Would be an easy to eliminate and at least your in control then of the braking

mike_2

RMS Regular
Drives
MR2, EP3 TypeR
Yip that's an option. Trouble is we can only test on track as it requires very hard braking and can't replicate it on the road. MOT is due shortly as well. :worried:

jagged

RMS Regular
Drives
640D G.C. E36M3
Sorry for your misfortune @mk3doc , hate to see good cars damaged ,hope it's not too hard to fix ! that right - left flick through the chicane has caught many a poor soul , but you live to fight another day .

jagged

RMS Regular
Drives
640D G.C. E36M3
@mike2 surprised by your problem , but is probably a result of taking the advice of whoever it was told you to use the brakes in the first place , the old strategy of firing it at the corner was hard to beat !
Sounds like an abs issue , though may be worth checking that the caliper piston is moving freely .

spagball

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Had a slight coming together with another trackdayer on Sunday, at the time thought i wasnt to blame but having looked at video i think its 50/50 and more a misunderstanding of where each of us where on the track. I would have gone on the grass but couldnt because of marshal post. Video doesnt look too dramatic but i can assure you it was! Sorry about bright video think SD card corrupt or wrong positioning of cam?

mike_2

RMS Regular
Drives
MR2, EP3 TypeR
I saw the Mazda, plenty of rubber marks up the side, so hopefully not to bad for either of you (I have seen the Mazda look much worse ;))

With regards the video brightness, not having the spot metre turned on can cause that too.

MarkM

RMS Regular
@mk3doc Bit of a shocker on Sunday then! Glad you're ok, bloody horrible end to a days fun, cage is a must when you start pushing! The pic you posted on Cliosport, is it pick up on the offside rear tyre or has it delaminated, looks odd?

@spagball as @mike_2 said it's probably spot metering, when it's off the cam will focus on what's closest, turn it on and the focus will be well down the track, hope there's no serious damage, that's why I wouldn't put my road cars round there, Clio is for abusing :grinning:

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.