Next Trackskills Track Day at Kirkistown is Sunday 25th September.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

dufunk

RMS Regular
Question regarding overtaking on a couple of occasions I was overtook coming into the 2nd fast corner. I was for using the racing line into it and the cars behind would of see that but they nipped in there just before the corner fair enough they have the talent but why not wait til after the chicane which is more safer and I obviously would of let them by! I understand totally if its a high powered car but these were similar to the celica!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Question regarding overtaking

Know exactly what you mean, some are just more impatient. Nobody should overtake on a corner, and it is up to the car in front to decide to move over and *clearly indicate* they are letting someone through. It is up to the car overtaking to wait for a *clear indication* and make sure the overtake is safe.

An example of "making sure the overtake is safe" is NOT overtaking right at the end of the main straight, leaving the car inside heading straight for the barrier stopping people from barrelling down the inside there.

Having said that, remember as well the car behind might be on slicks and you on road tyres, for example, meaning they might be 10+ mph quicker through the corners even if the cars have similar performance. If someone is catching, then they are quicker no matter what they are in.

Easiest if somebody is obviously impatient behind is just let them through and then everyone can be on their merry way :grinning:

spagball

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Sorry dude, that one is 100% on you. Fair play for putting the video up though and be honest about it (y)

Basic track day rule - it is up to the overtaking car to make sure the overtake is safe. That was not safe. Neither was the run up the inside down at the hairpin before, a slip on the brakes there and it would be a t-bone.

Trust me, I know how frustrating it is when you feel the car in front is holding you up and not letting you pass, but that is trackdays for you. You get all sorts - the vast majority play along, a few don't, and some simply don't have the experience yet.

The main rule is not to hit anyone. Ever. Crash as much as you like, but never hit anyone else. There is no excuse.

Anyway, live and learn and all that, hope both of you made up and got sorted ok.

As for the video, with the camera that far inside the cabin, it thinks you are filming the interior and sets exposure accordingly. Because all sensors have a limited range that means the much brighter outside gets burned out.

Either move it further up to cover more of the windscreen and less of the interior. Or try to figure out a way of getting it to expose for the outside rather than the inside. Spot meter as mentioned above can help, as the camera will try to expose for a small portion in the centre of the picture instead of across the whole picture. Worth trying though it can cause other issues instead.

Thanks for your reply but dont accept your views on this incident. I'll take 50% of blame and think im being very fair doing so-

1. He told me he didnt even know i was there from as far back as the back straight because his mirrors were crap, so from the start to end of my video he thought he was on his own!

2. I took a tight line at bottom hairpin cause if i took my normal line i would have been kissing his back bumper, also knew he would leave me cause my car doesnt get goin till turbo kicks in

3. As i said he didnt know i was there (i always know whats behind me) if id know he thought he was on his own i never would of tried to overtake there, but it was safe and i had time if the driver in the mazda had even a slight interest in the whereabouts of his fellow trackdayers- i accept now it was my fault to have hoped of this from that driver. But all drivers need to take responsibility for knowing whats going on around them, not having decent mirrors isnt an excuse to drive as if your on the track by yourself. If he had turned in on me at a faster part of the track could have been alot worse

4. Ive used the same cam position for a year with no problems it was wrong setting or corrupt card. allah hu akbar

spagball

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Motorbike trackdays i believe are different, then it is 100% the responsibility of the boy behind, because there is so much more room and power

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
There is absolutely no reason to hit anyone at a track day. None. Ever. No excuse.

Not like you are running in the dark or in thick fog or something. At Kirkistown you can see the cars up ahead half a lap before you get to them, hardly comes as a surprise they are there.

If the car in front is not *clearly* moving over, for whatever reason - ignorance, blindness, stupidity, or just simple inexperience - then there is no safe way past. So don't.

The marshals will pick up on it and deal with said blind driver.

You do get experienced drivers who know each other very well going close. That is very different from trying to force your way past someone who clearly had no idea you were there. For whatever reason.

spagball

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
I loved that wee car but shes gone as McCartney said 'shes leaving home bye bye' but im going to get a bigger engined beauty to keep up with you throttle jockeys may take me a while but i will Keep it Country Bye

spagball

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW

Attachments

• 01c4aafaa0627261685d883abdac2408f7a6e55d61.jpg
    01c4aafaa0627261685d883abdac2408f7a6e55d61.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.