"NI REGISTERED CAR FROM NEW"

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
looking a new car for Mrs. and lots of dealers making a big deal about this. Is it because people fear buying across the water or does it offer preferential VRT rates if exported down south?

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
looking a new car for Mrs. and lots of dealers making a big deal about this. Is it because people fear buying across the water or does it offer preferential VRT rates if exported down south?
It will be the latter. Just sold one of our cars to be VRT'd and its better if it was registered here from new.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
OP
hannakournikova
might have answered my own question:

312221727.1920.jpg

KevM

RMS Regular
A UK registered used car attracts VAT as well as VRT. An NI car doesn't.

"From 1 January 2021 vehicles imported from Great Britain are liable to: customs duty, if applicable. Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) VAT at the current standard rate"

I 'believe' that is possibly coming to an end soon though.

We do very little export trade these days

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Any vehicle that comes to N.Ireland from Mainland UK is subject to additional VRT VAT charges.
If the car is registered here from new or arrived before Brexit, it avoids the additional charge.

Dealers are highlighting it to avoid the multiple calls per day from ROI asking what cars you have in stock that would avoid the charge.

aaflyer79

RMS Regular
I’ve just call from dealer in Scotland. Due to pick up new Superb on Saturday from Glasgow. They need a relative in Scotland\mainland to register V5 first to as it can’t be registered to NI from new due to Brexit. Thanks sister. How did I miss this?!

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I’ve just call from dealer in Scotland. Due to pick up new Superb on Saturday from Glasgow. They need a relative in Scotland\mainland to register V5 first to as it can’t be registered to NI from new due to Brexit. Thanks sister. How did I miss this?!
Complete and utter rubbish. Car is registered with DVLA here same as mainland.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Pretty sure that’s rubbish, bought a car from a dealer in November and no issues getting it registered. They just wouldn’t deliver it, I had to arrange my own collection.

aaflyer79

RMS Regular
Pretty sure that’s rubbish, bought a car from a dealer in November and no issues getting it registered. They just wouldn’t deliver it, I had to arrange my own collection.
Yeah but what’s the issue: is it a hassle for them to register it etc??

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Yeah but what’s the issue: is it a hassle for them to register it etc??
To be more accurate, they need to send the V5 off to have it registered if you live in NI, this changed in the summer last year, it cant be done online. This will cause you a delay and is most likely why they wont do it. If it's registered to a mainland address then it's done instantly online. This is what Audi told me last November.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I bought my Boxster from an OPC in Swindon back in April 2021, the V5 was registered to my home address

davyk31

RMS Regular
As @saxo_man says it can be done it just can’t be done online. I did it this time last year with a Scottish dealer on a new Mercedes. They post the docs to DVLA and it took a couple of weeks but got the car registered to a NI address and on a local NI plate.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Sold my E Golf recently to a gent down South as it was cheaper than him buying locally and avoided the big import duties. I was very happy with the price and the Southern Government are still delivering good incentives for people to buy "green" cars.

MarkyMck

RMS Regular
Drives
F56&R53 JCW
I think I know why this has happened. Nothing due to Brexit.

We cant register new cars via AFRL to mainland GB from NI. I would imagine it would be the same thing form GB to NI. We need to post the application manually with a V55 and request a registration token from the DVLA for a GB issue plate correct for the customers area.

The dealer will be able to register it instantly to a GB address via AFRL. They will have a registration target from the manufacturer. At quarter end they wont be wanting to leave anything to chance - that's why I imagine they have asked for another GB address.