Nissan Leaf Tekna 40kw 🥱🤣

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Yeah @chrisdromore even with those costs it would still be more economical in terms of mpg than any diesel I’ve owned or know of.

My work daily i30 1.6crdi is averaging low-mid 50’s at best and that’s a mix of urban and extra urban. It’s quoted on paper as capable of combined 65-70 average 🤣 but it gets nowhere near it, I don’t think any diesel does unless you are always doing steady 60mph runs and not near the city, any sort of heavy traffic commute kills the mpg. The etron is still a bit cheaper to run using the home charger and if you manage to get a public charger say once a week then even better.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
You do hear some crap from people about EVs all of which have little to no experience with them lol

Don’t know what they are missing, as you say, the are the perfect daily. I will never have an ICE car for a daily again.

Still plenty of toys to enjoy when the notion takes me, like yourself. Best of both worlds!

I find having one of each makes you really enjoy the experience of the other even more.

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
You do hear some crap from people about EVs all of which have little to no experience with them lol

Don’t know what they are missing, as you say, the are the perfect daily. I will never have an ICE car for a daily again.

Still plenty of toys to enjoy when the notion takes me, like yourself. Best of both worlds!

I find having one of each makes you really enjoy the experience of the other even more.
Yup, I really miss driving the Elise or 997 but they're in hibernation on life support.........Just have to enjoy the EV serenity in the winter + I can't arrive at a customer in a flash car anyway!

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Ev daily and a weekend/summer toy is the perfect combination and as you say Pete it makes you appreciate driving both cars, as a daily driver or heavy traffic commuter an ev can’t be beaten imo.

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
Have to agree , cheap ev daily sounds ideal.

Unfortunately, there are no cheap evs. Any that are cheap have the range and efficiency of an Anne summers return

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
Can someone recommend a sub 10k ev - that has a 150 range ? Does that exist?

For me cheap motoring means cheap to buy and cheap to run.

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8

All well said and done. But if your weekend toy is a 2 seater ( like many ) then the range becomes more of a factor.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Yeah @chrisdromore even with those costs it would still be more economical in terms of mpg than any diesel I’ve owned or know of.

My work daily i30 1.6crdi is averaging low-mid 50’s at best and that’s a mix of urban and extra urban. It’s quoted on paper as capable of combined 65-70 average 🤣 but it gets nowhere near it, I don’t think any diesel does unless you are always doing steady 60mph runs and not near the city, any sort of heavy traffic commute kills the mpg. The etron is still a bit cheaper to run using the home charger and if you manage to get a public charger say once a week then even better.

It’s also a large 300 bhp 4WD SUV. So it’s not exactly a clio DCI.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Yeah, for what you have on the drive and what it costs to run, with the deal we got (same nhs one as yourself) it’s a steal. Will see what’s available next summer in terms of monthly’s and range and possibly do it again as having the space for the 3 young ones and the baby seats etc is good. The Only downside of the nhs deals is I think it affects my wife’s pension but I can’t get a clear answer as to what extent.

Otherwise it will be something like a 2013 Passat or A6 avant. That would still probably end up costing more all in though than a good nhs fleet deal.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
@chrisdromore you are setting parameters that are for a fail there immediately. That like me saying I want a sea view apartment in portrush for £90k because you can have an apartment in Divis for cheap. They are both homes, right?

I didn’t buy an EV because it was a cheap car to buy. I have no interest in running about in some old diesel ****box at 10k that needs constant maintenance etc been there done that.

I bought a car that was when compared for other ICE cars like for like on price - cheaper to own overall by some margin, better to drive, more spec, speed lol

It’s a 60k car so comparing it a 10k car is a comparison I don’t understand lol

Range isn’t an issue, I have done over 6k miles in 3 months. I have a range of 300miles give or take. Even with that you don’t drive an EV like a ICE you don’t run the charge all the way down and then fill it up, you top it up as you go. It takes a few weeks for that to click when you are so used to a fuel gauge and how you get fuel but once you do it is so much less hassle to own than an ICE. No more standing about in the cold and rain and filling a tank etc. I have my car on a charger in 30sec.

Also imagine if you could be out for dinner, or at the cinema, shopping etc and someone was topping up your petrol tank while you were doing it. Even enough that the to and from journey was covered. And that the top up was free, you would think it was great right? Well that’s what is amazing about an EV.

Sunday night I went out for dinner, added 25% range while I was parked in the car park that I would have been parked in anyway. Range isn’t the issue 95% imagine it will be, you just can’t think how it works until you have one and then it makes sense. Certainly with the battery capacity of a tesla it does anyway..

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
@chrisdromore you are setting parameters that are for a fail there immediately. That like me saying I want a sea view apartment in portrush for £90k because you can have an apartment in Divis for cheap. They are both homes, right?

I didn’t buy an EV because it was a cheap car to buy. I have no interest in running about in some old diesel ****box at 10k that needs constant maintenance etc been there done that.

I bought a car that was when compared for other ICE cars like for like on price - cheaper to own overall by some margin, better to drive, more spec, speed lol

It’s a 60k car so comparing it a 10k car is a comparison I don’t understand lol

Range isn’t an issue, I have done over 6k miles in 3 months. I have a range of 300miles give or take. Even with that you don’t drive an EV like a ICE you don’t run the charge all the way down and then fill it up, you top it up as you go. It takes a few weeks for that to click when you are so used to a fuel gauge and how you get fuel but once you do it is so much less hassle to own than an ICE. No more standing about in the cold and rain and filling a tank etc. I have my car on a charger in 30sec.

Also imagine if you could be out for dinner, or at the cinema, shopping etc and someone was topping up your petrol tank while you were doing it. Even enough that the to and from journey was covered. And that the top up was free, you would think it was great right? Well that’s what is amazing about an EV.

Sunday night I went out for dinner, added 25% range while I was parked in the car park that I would have been parked in anyway. Range isn’t the issue 95% imagine it will be, you just can’t think how it works until you have one and then it makes sense. Certainly with the battery capacity of a tesla it does anyway..
Pete I am all for it. I have solar myself and have the space to charge. All the comments on topping up etc make sense.

What I have to say though is that as a lay person looking in, the comments about dailying an ev are misleading at times. Cause they imply cheaper motoring. Yes for sure it’s cheaper to charge than pour in super at 1.50. But at 60k it’s a dear purchase.

Re your comment on portrush and divis, don’t agree with this. Naturally as battery technology improves and cars age, there will become a point in time, where 10k as a price point will get me into something second hand with a range of 150 miles. That might be another 2 years, but in 2 years time the apartment in portrush still won’t have reflected in price.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
I watched an old 70's movie on TV last night based in London and the amount of smoke haze from the vehicles was unbelievable. I remember the first time I went into London and blew my nose and it came out black on the tissue. I love my old petrol cars but EV's in densely populated areas is the way to go. Getting harder to get a charger now as there are so many EV's on the road from when I started 4 years ago.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
When did a 10k car become a ****box? 😲

Maybe ****box is a little harsh but it’s getting you a 100k 320d that is about to ruin your life with turbos, timing chains etc then you still have to fuel it, tax it, service it etc

True it will also get you some fresh mono box but I’m a car enthusiast I am never, ever, ever even going to consider driving something like that 😂

@chrisdromore I see your point and I can see the merit in it. I am only looking at it objectively for what someone would be buying brand new for equivalent money. It will definitely be cheaper in an EV as an overall experience.

It depends on what your draw to it is I guess. Mine wasn’t economy, but it certainly has made a huge difference to my pocket vs the alternatives at similar budget.

But the main point I guess is that the range thing really isn’t going to be the issue a lot of people think it is. If you can charge at home or work, they really work. You just need to readjust how you think about what range means.

stuarti

RMS Regular
As an owner of a Nissan Leaf thats 15 months old, range is absolutely an issue so am not buying that it’s not. This is a 30k car that struggles to make 100 miles at min no matter what way I drive it and how cautious I am in it re eco mode etc. It’s been in to Nissan 5 times and Nissan uk involved and I’ve been told it’s within tolerances. That’s pathetic .. 100 miles and when it’s cold less… wouldn’t have another leaf about me, but as above have to be prepared to buy more expensive to get decent range etc.

Also as per talk, strong chance the free chargers won’t be free anymore at some point next year, and generally speaking good luck trying to get a charger when you are out.

Ev definite benefits … but lots to still be developed to make it a great thing, and buy the right car that says you will get big range.

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
As an owner of a Nissan Leaf thats 15 months old, range is absolutely an issue so am not buying that it’s not. This is a 30k car that struggles to make 100 miles at min no matter what way I drive it and how cautious I am in it re eco mode etc. It’s been in to Nissan 5 times and Nissan uk involved and I’ve been told it’s within tolerances. That’s pathetic .. 100 miles and when it’s cold less… wouldn’t have another leaf about me, but as above have to be prepared to buy more expensive to get decent range etc.

Also as per talk, strong chance the free chargers won’t be free anymore at some point next year, and generally speaking good luck trying to get a charger when you are out.

Ev definite benefits … but lots to still be developed to make it a great thing, and buy the right car that says you will get big range.

I get 140 miles all the time ATM, I'll get more in the warmer weather as I did manage 170 miles when I got it. I always drive in ECO and D drive mode, I drive in ECO as I actually prefer it anyway, normal mode has a very sensitive throttle whereas ECO has a linear throttle and is no slower on full throttle.

Last edited:

stuarti

RMS Regular
I g

I get 140 miles all the time ATM, I'll get more in the warmer weather as I did manage 170 miles when I got it. I always drive in ECO and D drive mode, I drive in ECO as I actually prefer it anyway, normal mode has a very sensitive throttle whereas ECO has a linear throttle and is no slower on full throttle.
Maybe I have a lemon 😂 not a leaf

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I think part of the issue with range and what winds people up is consistency. You get quoted a figure that you will most likely base your purchase on but then It seems to vary a lot on certain cars for no apparent reason.

The etron for eg will not show more then 145 mile to a full 100% charge yet I think others on here are getting the 180 or so which we did get for about the first few weeks. We even got a software update in Audi last week and told yeah your range will be better now but it’s exactly the same. If you are running heaters etc you can knock another 20-30 miles off the 145 too. Ours was one of the first batch to come in to NI so maybe they have ironed out any issues with newer models. I suppose it’s like any ICE car too though, quoted figures conducted in a lab in Germany with perfect conditions dont equate to real life mpg.

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Maybe I have a lemon 😂 not a leaf
I do tend to drive easier in it than in ICE cars, well more thoughtfully in terms of keeping the speed at 65 max most of the time and coasting down to lights and junctions. I do generally do that in all cars but more so in the Leaf. I never understand the guys that overtake going down a slip road to a red light, idiots.

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
I watched an old 70's movie on TV last night based in London and the amount of smoke haze from the vehicles was unbelievable. I remember the first time I went into London and blew my nose and it came out black on the tissue. I love my old petrol cars but EV's in densely populated areas is the way to go. Getting harder to get a charger now as there are so many EV's on the road from when I started 4 years ago.
That tissue comment is awesome - what the fck was everyone breathing ? Crazy

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
Maybe ****box is a little harsh but it’s getting you a 100k 320d that is about to ruin your life with turbos, timing chains etc then you still have to fuel it, tax it, service it etc

True it will also get you some fresh mono box but I’m a car enthusiast I am never, ever, ever even going to consider driving something like that 😂

@chrisdromore I see your point and I can see the merit in it. I am only looking at it objectively for what someone would be buying brand new for equivalent money. It will definitely be cheaper in an EV as an overall experience.

It depends on what your draw to it is I guess. Mine wasn’t economy, but it certainly has made a huge difference to my pocket vs the alternatives at similar budget.

But the main point I guess is that the range thing really isn’t going to be the issue a lot of people think it is. If you can charge at home or work, they really work. You just need to readjust how you think about what range means.
Your absolutely right , it just down to personal circumstances. I was gagging to get a tesla twin motor, but in the end I just decided to let it all pan out a bit longer.

Now I’m running about in a 6 litre as a daily, which has lpg to soften the blow to the wallet. So the thought of finally jumping ship to daily ev really appeals to me. But at the price point I wanna spend , there just isn’t anything suitable. - yet

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Can someone recommend a sub 10k ev - that has a 150 range ? Does that exist?
For me cheap motoring means cheap to buy and cheap to run.

A 2017 Zoe would be in around the £10k mark now and has a real world figure of about 170 mile per charge. I really liked our Zoe back in 2015, it was a good city car and had far more room than you would expect, great handling too.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf

Everyone that has been critical to me has never actually owned/driven an EV; I met a guy at a charge point the other day and he asked me if it was a lot of hassle charging and owning it - I replied by saying that if he thought it was going to be hassle then it probably would be for him! We all convince ourselves of things when we want to like buying that really fast car because it has some great safety features!!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
London is just an overpopulated ****hole. I'd say it's worse now than in the 70's
Range isn’t an issue, I have done over 6k miles in 3 months. I have a range of 300miles give or take.
Let's face it though, most EV's do not do 300 miles.