Nissan Silvia Club K's PS13

chopaholic

RMS Regular
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Turbo gasket sorted. Good to see the turbo is in excellent nick also. Then out for a spin with the mates!

The car is running ok. You can get the power down if you pick a gear but it doesn't like going through the gears, there is a bit of hesitation between shifts before boost kicks in again. Just a slight delay and the odd missfire. Going by my experiences with the Skyline it could be absolutely anything from coil packs, fuel issue, timing I have no idea.

Will get it to Richard Bradley in the next few weeks hopefully but for now I'm just happy to cruise about in it. The thing makes some absolutely epic noises though! Can't wait to see how she performs

I would 100% be looking towards getting some VAG coilpacks installed, SR20 coils are famously bad. Is it stock fuel pump? Get a nice Walbro and Z32 fuel filter. With my old PS13 I also had plenty of cracked rubber pipes which were losing a bit of air on boost, just replaced the whole lot.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
I would 100% be looking towards getting some VAG coilpacks installed, SR20 coils are famously bad. Is it stock fuel pump? Get a nice Walbro and Z32 fuel filter. With my old PS13 I also had plenty of cracked rubber pipes which were losing a bit of air on boost, just replaced the whole lot.

So much to do, so little money😂 Bit by bit! I'll get there👍🏻

@TheDaniel are you located in or near Belfast?

Got talking to Ross one night and mentioned you to me in conversation when I brought my skyline along to applegreen

Must get a catch up with you lads and a looksey at the motor 😃

Yes indeed I'm in Belfast! Definitely👍🏻 need to see your Skyline too.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
In talks with the company who imported my car. They have a 5 stud conversion kit with R32 brakes and sent me photos. Not sure if its good money or not but he's looking 1000 for the lot. Would save me having to figure out what all I would need etc. Handy to have it all in one place.

Any advice appreciated.

IMG_20211008_141459_098.jpg
IMG_20211008_141453_819.jpg
IMG_20211008_141456_725.jpg
IMG_20211008_141449_144.jpg
IMG_20211008_141451_614.jpg

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
To be honest after I posted that I sort of backed out. Not sure if any bits need replaced etc. Will have a think about it.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
To be honest after I posted that I sort of backed out. Not sure if any bits need replaced etc. Will have a think about it.
I did the swap as the brakes were larger, but also to paint, refresh, upgrade and replace bushes and joints before it was installed. Can always sell your old setup to recoup some money back too

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Expect some refurbishment at least. Hard to tell how complete it is. They're old cars, you're unlikely to find new bits, but I don't know what the aftermarket for these is like.

Unless you really need the five stud then maybe just make the best of what you have?

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
You can get most of those items after market besides the calipers as far as I can tell. Almost better to hold off and go all new bits. Just need to figure out all what I need first.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
In that case definitely hold off, and then just do the things you actually need.

That other kit - it might be fine, it might miss bits, it might need refurb, etc. It's going to be over 20 years old. You just can't tell. It's a lot of money for a punt that may or may not do what you actually want.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
Thats it, its basically a thousand quid gamble. There is no full conversion kit as such you just need to add up all the bits and it all adds up quick as I would likely be doing coilovers also all at once and need tyres on the GTRs also. Its a while off yet before its done so was contemplating other wheels for the time being. Absolute money pit😂

Frig knows. Its all good fun! Just want it running and driving 100%. Getting 4 new tyres this week. Going for some Avons. Toyos where a bit cheaper but I found them to be crap in the wet. Not cheap but a much needed!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Just get it finished as it is and then go from there. So easy to get carried away. They're old cars now, it's a different game from ten years ago.

Any old car is a money pit, lol, and a Japanese one doubly so 😅

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
Best money pit ever though😂👍🏻

Youre 100% @svensktoppen it all adds up so quick with lots of wee bits. My wipers stopped working so I replaced a fuse and they wouldn't turn off. Theres a wiper relay box under the bonnet that stopped working, possibly due to the amount of head blasted at it from the turbo gasket blowout. So I got an S14 wiper box given to me which got them going again at least but I lost the timing function and the wouldn't reset at the bottom of the window, I had to stop it in time..very distracting! .. so I found a new relay box in Australia..only one I could find £53!!

As you say its a different game. Its more about restoration and finding OE parts that are no longer in production than just modifying. I see this car as more of a restoration project though. Its a perfect base for it and has potential to be like brand new again with a few touches but its a lot of money😂

New relay box has the correct amount of pins so ill try it today and see how we go.

Old
20210910_201249.jpg

New
20211008_221703.jpg

20211008_221657.jpg

Not really exciting but its a long process 😂

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
Nothing much to report on her, just been driving away at it. Still need to get it to Bradley but other expenditures popped up this month. One of which was a new brown/bronze tinted windscreen as a small crack has started to crawl up from the bottom of the screen. Try and find one of them bad boys anywhere here! So I've one en route from Japan via JDM Distro. .. Nothing to show so here's some random photos of her for now 😂

IMG-20211024-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20211024-WA0010.jpg
IMG-20211024-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20211024-WA0001.jpg

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
No updates as such but sharing my plans, some of which will hopefully happen this year...

- Get her running better (New fuel pump to go in, service, check timing and plug gaps etc.)

- New bronze tinted windscreen to be fitted once landed from Japan.

- New Speakers - Shouldn't be too expensive to sort out, so want that done soon. (Advice welcome!)

- A proper detail as paint is a long way off yet!

- S14 Kouki triple meter gauges or something similar. I'm quite fussy about these, but that could be a whole post in itself.

Screenshot_20210810-182918_Instagram.jpg

- Front Lip - Becoming hard to find!

Screenshot_20220213-113104_Instagram.jpg

- Period set of 4 stud wheels as I dont plan on doing the 5 stud conversion any time soon as its hassle and money lol would love to find a set of the optional BBS wheels but another impossible thing to find and I dont imagine they will be cheap! So may settle for something nice and 90s looking.

image_58650d31-5dcf-404e-9988-83556c20ad67_960x.jpg

Long term I have OE style silicone side strips and badges coming from the states, when it comes to painting I'm going to go 2 tone, so the strips where needed.

Screenshot_20211020-200653_Chrome.jpg

Keeping to the original colours, so this is what I'm aiming for.

q2g6uuupz6n21.jpg

I'm sure I'll find a few other bits and pieces to do along the way but I'm really in no rush. The car isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable... also still need to buy that house 😬

Here's some random photos for now of the only time I've taken it out this year lol

IMG-20220122-WA0019.jpg
IMG-20220122-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20220122-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20220122-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20220122-WA0024.jpg

Any comments or advice always welcome!

Cheers👍🏻

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
OP
TheDaniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
A bit more progress with the old car. Some more parts collected. I acquired some optional extra rear spats from ebay, hopefully be getting the front lip within the next couple of weeks.

This is the idea. Getting rid of the mud flaps and getting these on will tidy up the back end nicely. They look a bit rough but they've just been wrapped but no cracks or damage on them.

s-l400 (2).jpg

Screenshot_20220218-200703_Instagram.jpg

Got a new Walbro fuel pump fitted, made a huge difference as mine was definitely done! The day of dubshed, while driving home the car started a very bad misfire so I booked it in with Richard Bradley for a once over.

The day before I was due to take it, me and a mate had a poke to see if we could get it running better before we had to drive from Belfast to Dungannon. Turned out to he a bad coil pack. Through the power of social media and numerous responses from some legendary S-Chassis owners, we had a set within an hour.

20220416_105502.jpg

The car ran a lot better but decided to take it anyway. She made a very healthy 212BHP! Considering the only actual upgrades are exhaust and fuel pump, from 205bhp in 1993, I was very happy.

Photo from Richards snapchat:
20220414_134449.jpg

It was a bit wet on the way home so couldn't get the full potential but could definitely feel the difference! Took it for a quick spin this morning, first time driving it in the dry with at full power and I was blown away! 212bhp feels a lot more lively in this than the 271bhp in my Skyline. Maybe because the skyline was well planted. Completely standard suspension doesn't help at all, definitely in need of coilovers and wider wheels. Trying not to fall down the rabbit hole and keep it as close to OE as possible but with enough upgrades to make the car a usable summer toy.

IMG-20220320-WA0005.jpg

Cheers!

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Skylines are not impressive at all until north of 300bhp. Lazy feeling.
SR20 is awesome with some basic adjustments. Much more is required to get that from a rb25