Nissan Silvia S15 Part II

chopaholic

RMS Regular
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
After promising I never wanted another project after the last troublesome JZ S15, I have went against my own words and done something I am sure at some stage I will regret.

Some will remember the funky JZ S15 I built last time which ended up having engine failure due to knocking the sump off the road too many times, the car also nearly gave me failure as from the word go nothing ever seemed to go smooth.

WOTHJua.jpg

The past few months I have been living the boring life and pretty much spending my weekends playing PUBG and searching the auctions and dealers in Japan, ultimately saving some pennies together.

This car came up on a dealer website, it fitted my needs and I messaged about the vehicle with no response so I just sort of forgot about it and kept on searching, me and Alan (Driftwizards) bidded on a few auctions cars and hunted high and low for stuff which met my budget. A few weeks had passed and I decided to email the dealer directly instead and got a response, yesterday we had agreed on some details and I paid for the car.

It is a year 2000 Nissan Silvia Spec S Auto, it seems from the images to be in fair condition and it suits my needs perfectly as a base to start on.

5aYvgIc.jpg

zSy75WD.jpg

9FSrSWY.jpg

MtlYMwn.jpg

vYLPWNc.jpg

wo8pqFw.jpg

NEvtBRY.jpg

0NqLmPF.jpg

fb8H3n2.jpg

cxN6LLI.jpg

peE9UMK.jpg

Rewind back to last week, on a Tuesday morning I was sitting in work and I spotted a "knocking" SR20 for sale on Driftworks for reasonable money, I decided to make the 8 hour round trip to collect it with the thought in my head I will rebuild it for something at some stage not knowing I was buying that S15 yet, I also ended up buying an SR20 manual gearbox when I was there. For anyone interested, an SR20 fits in the back seats of a BMW E46 330D.

6xrQVaQ.jpg

Got the engine back into my garage, had a bit of a poke around and decided to investigate the "knock". I was pleasantly surprised to find the following:

KqV0zMJ.jpg

53AFt6y.jpg

W5KGNqe.jpg

It had done the common SR20 thing and broken a rocker, so that is what the knocking was, I was obviously over the moon as the price I paid for the engine reflected the knock.

As the rocker had broken I decided ive got a few months until the car comes so I stripped the engine on down to check out the bottom end and replace the headgasket for a metal one, giving myself some future proofing, upon taking the flywheel off I was presented with this mess:

pcSU4Cv.jpg

mQ2kL3g.jpg

It looks like someone has tried to remove the flywheel with a ****ing bulldozer, it has wrecked the mounting surface of the crank, so my inspection of the bottom end would now need to go further as the crank > flywheel mounting face is now going to need machined.

Thankfully enough there was no metal in the oil and everything else seems to be spot on in the engine.

cQk6Rdo.jpg

My1a6xK.jpg

hsBt49K.jpg

HVnlWzX.jpg

qoOs0qz.jpg

vKguzsR.jpg

4ECyDP0.jpg

The plan now is to get the crank mounting face machined and when building it back up replace the bearings for piece of mind, a new metal head gasket, some up rated BC valve springs to hopefully solve the rocker breaking issue and some new up rated cams when I am there.

S15 will take a few months to make its journey around the world so I will just start trying to collect some parts.

More to come soon.

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Glad you held off for such a clean one within your budget.
The last S15 was a real credit to you, what you achieved with basic tools in a leaky 1 bay garage with no lift was nothing short of incredible.
Hopefully this project involves less skinned muscles with more plug & play parts.

Thanks Barry that means a lot, it was a bit rough around the edges but it worked. Going to need to get myself a TIG for this one as I am too far to borrow yours :p Also get sorted and get your arse over for a weekend.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Seen this on Facebook. Looking forward to seeing what comes of this 1.

What's the craic with the 32? It away yet?

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Seen this on Facebook. Looking forward to seeing what comes of this 1.

What's the craic with the 32? It away yet?

Cheers Nicky, the 32 is still here, haven't advertised it properly really, want to finish a few things up before I sell it to get the maximum value from it. Or I might even keep it for a rainy day haha

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Cheers Nicky, the 32 is still here, haven't advertised it properly really, want to finish a few things up before I sell it to get the maximum value from it. Or I might even keep it for a rainy day haha

The 32 is only going 1 way price wise. May as well get a bit of fun out of it while knowing your money is in a safe place... Would absolutely love a 32, but it won't be happening any time soon.

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Thanks for the comments guys.

So a little update, the car is leaving Japan on the 25th of this month.

While it was there waiting for the boat I decided to order something from UpGarage, a fancy OS Giken Single Stage clutch, this one is VGC with plenty of life left on it, not something you often see for sale on the forums over here so I jumped at the chance of this one, what made it even better is the guy who is shipping the car said I can have it delivered there and he will put into the car for the boat home to save on postage!

XQSbsIC.jpg

6zSpRMm.jpg

E3TZZhE.jpg

I am now on the hunt for a Vertex Lang front bumper to go with my styling ideas as I don't want to go down the Aero bumper route again. For anyone who doesn't know what that bumper is like:

DBKD4snUwAES3XJ.jpg

I am pretty much just waiting for payday now to buy the rest of the stuff needed to start doing some engine building.

More updates to come as more parts start arriving.

:laughing:

JH86

RMS Regular
I didn't know you were a homosexual?

Red is the best colour in them.

Its 2017 I can recognise beauty regardless of gender

Red is horrendous in anything

A rash is red.. horrendous
A skelpt arse is red... horrendous
Cherry red dturbo sport is red.. horrendous

Hear me fam?

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Its 2017 I can recognise beauty regardless of gender

Red is horrendous in anything

A rash is red.. horrendous
A skelpt arse is red... horrendous
Cherry red dturbo sport is red.. horrendous

Hear me fam?

The buckfast has gone to your head fam.

13562102_1079361212139341_1064309164_n.jpg

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Quick update for today...

Some Dmax coilovers which I spied on eBay:
YZYMTlC.jpg

COH6VCd.jpg

XlpwDzp.jpg

sCCppIW.jpg

Should be with me in a few days time and I will be able to start cleaning them up ready for use.

Also bought a HKS Headgasket and a new rocker arm to replace the old one, hopefully should have the clearance of the car sorted by next week which will leave it so the car just needs collected.

More updates to come.

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Spotted this on Facebook the other day whilst having a boring day at work, decided I would struggle to get one at any other time so I bit the bullet and bought it, I guess it is going to be beans and toast for a few weeks until pay day :grinning:

SFRLTSF.jpg

45aLEzK.jpg

Lewis.

RMS Regular
Drives
S14 Zenki
Awesome. As ive said to a few of the other guys, If you spot any rare parts or anything your after on this side of the world, hit me up.