chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
any progress on this? loving this build so far! :grinning:

What he said ^

Auto seems to be the way to go. They seem go be the best examples now. All my mates are pushing me to get one as @.Ross has a manual box sitting there:joy:

Also that 32 is a dream car. :heart_eyes:

Thanks guys, I do have a rather big update for the car coming very soon. I have been away quite a lot with work but have been slowly gathering some parts up. Towards the end of this month and throughout July I should be able to add some proper material to the thread.

He swapped it for a jet ski

Another tragic hipster decision

I wouldn't swap my 330D for that Corolla as I know for a fact you are a farmer at heart.

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
I have been away for the past 5 months working in much warmer climates, so have not been able to get much progress with the car, although slightly painful to be leaving clear water and glorious beaches I was excited to get home to the stack of parts I have gathered up whilst away.

I took a head stagger when I first left to stick another 1JZ into it, deciding on a 1JZ VVTI for ease of install I set about buying one, then got my time wasted twice in a row and had people trying to sell me scrap constantly, I almost seen it as a sign. After some more thinking I decided to stick with the SR20 which I already have and keep it simple to hopefully enjoy more seat time instead.

First a list of things I have purchased as not all of them are pictured:

- Nismo 740CC Injectors
- Tomei M7960 Turbo
- HPI mid mount manifold
- Blitz NURSpec exhaust (Turbo back)
- 180sx Engine harness
- HKS 1.5mm head gasket
- ARP Head bolts
- BC Racing uprated valve springs
- ACL Race bearings
- OEM Nissan gasket set
- OEM Nissan Piston rings
- ARP Flywheel bolts
- New OS Giken clutch release bearing
- HKS 60mm Gauges x3
- HPI Air Filter
- Z32 MAF
- Aero Bumper (FRP)
- Genuine Aero Spoiler
- Modified Knuckle setup
- FMIC
- Stock 180sx ECU
- HKS Pipe work

ZaWuIS5.jpg

VQpQVc0.jpg

X4kgKzA.jpg

AecRET7.jpg

uZO2o9L.jpg

N9ujyGM.jpg

Still to buy I have the following:
- Up-rated Cams
- Link ECU

The plan is to run the engine in on stock ECU and cams leaving me a little bit of time to save up some more money to buy the ECU and Cams, some parts such as the Z32 MAF will be able to be sold on at this point.

I have been working on cars for a long time, done many things and tried many things but this will be my first time building an entire engine, I am very much a give anything a go and get stuck in sort of a person so I quite liked the idea of being able to teach myself the basics to building one anyway.

As seen previously in the thread I already have the engine stripped down, so it came to time to start cleaning stuff and getting everything ready for building, first up was the head.

jXDsNBG.jpg

7GgdnQp.jpg

I degreased this with some Gunk before pressure washing it, using a tooth brush around the hard to get areas, the valve side was all coked up with carbon, again with a scotch pad and alot of time I cleaned out the dirty exhaust side. At this point I applied some paint to it making it look nice and fresh again.

8p9FJsP.jpg

Then I cleaned the valves before re-grinding them to make sure they were not leaking. Also cleaned the rocker arms and cam caps.

VdAUZ1S.jpg

DT6lMSR.jpg

b7L5LWs.jpg

KxQy1aB.jpg

pW5qNFW.jpg

Next up was starting to put it back together, first I started by opening my lovely gasket kit and putting in the new valve stem oil seals, quite easy, just tap them over the valve guides with a small mallet and a socket. After this, I placed the valves in as I numbered and ground them earlier.

a5J3UA6.jpg

With the help of my friend Hamish again we then put the new valve springs, retainers and collets in, a bit of a pain in the arse with a cheap valve compressor tool, but we got there.

DJTmlqK.jpg

M7zQ61k.jpg

Then I tested that my valve grinding had worked and the valves were seated correctly, I done this by putting water into the side of the head to the corresponding valves, intake side and exhaust side both with no leaks.

sN2U67H.jpg

Hydraulic lifters need bled and installed next, submerging the lifter fully in oil and using a small allen key you compress the lifter and remove all the air from it, then keeping it upright you place it back into the head full of oil.

f4CcaXV.jpg

aLXXgsr.jpg

Finally I placed the correct shims into the top of the retainers and placed the rocker arms on making sure everything was fitting correctly.

oXI49Bl.jpg

The cams will be placed on once the bottom end is built and I can time it all up together.

I wanted to continue today building the bottom end but unfortunately I have been delayed until next week due to having to wait for my new crank to get here. Instead I decided to do some work to the car itself, a quick clean after sitting in a shed for months and put the new spoiler on. Still awaiting delivery of my Aero bumper mid week.

EpWDAIG.jpg

4cvCpnC.jpg

cZwhZR1.jpg

MWEgHrv.jpg

Once the rest of my stuff arrives I can hopefully crack on with completing the bottom end and getting the engine whole again, then it will be the push towards putting it into the car and getting it running, more to come next weekend hopefully.

Last edited:

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Cant get the damn images to work, working on Driftworks fine! @Coog @Cooper @Graham @Marc any ideas? When I click to edit my post all pictures are there and working fine, all hosted and linked to IMGUR.

Last edited:

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
All seem to be working now Choppy. Good work on the head. I'll be embarking on something similar to that myself. Nothing like trying something new lol

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
All seem to be working now Choppy. Good work on the head. I'll be embarking on something similar to that myself. Nothing like trying something new lol

Cheers mate, looking forward to the bottom end, I am sure it will be more of a challenge. What engine will you be working on?

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Cheers mate, looking forward to the bottom end, I am sure it will be more of a challenge. What engine will you be working on?
Nothing as fancy as what you are at.

I've a refresh and timing chains to do on a 24v VR6 engine so thought I might as well go the whole hog on it.

I've also a small block 1.4 16v I want to ram 1.6 internals into and raise the compression so that will be a top to bottom build.

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Nothing as fancy as what you are at.

I've a refresh and timing chains to do on a 24v VR6 engine so thought I might as well go the whole hog on it.

I've also a small block 1.4 16v I want to ram 1.6 internals into and raise the compression so that will be a top to bottom build.

The 1.4 16v with the 1.6 internals sounds great fun. I would love a few higher quality tools for doing things already, a proper electronic torque wrench is a must nearly.

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
So I haven't updated this in a while, mainly because I have been busy with life, but also because i have been slaving away in the workshop making things happen.

I brought the car into the workshop expecting to just finish off the engine and throw the new SR20 in, of course when I started stripping things off you think "I may as well just do that now I am this far in".

So finishing off the engine

5ylGv44.jpg

DlMIKo0.jpg

kLnzdRe.jpg

rNj6sa7.jpg

fGGsoVc.jpg

yTuf35U.jpg

Zt4azfg.jpg

YkeuFO6.jpg

A6FBakG.jpg

1HMZfcJ.jpg

ywCIT9c.jpg

8htAxa1.jpg

VMsEkQv.jpg

Then the S15 was up for the SR20DE removal

gT2ah0W.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6****Qu.jpg

After some cleaning and painting some bits

WTPy7aa.jpg

A9MBHwd.jpg

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Got the car up off the ground to underseal it, ended up doing a full subframe/tank/lines out job and using paint over gravitex in below, before doing the under side gloss white.

27X1aS5.jpg

HpuvSCm.jpg

GiprVbs.jpg

n0r00gb.jpg

SMQAFRS.jpg

ISedLtm.jpg

1Yn9cyj.jpg

G7pxUob.jpg

hn4ra4g.jpg

Had a little incident with a flying tent and my daily, lost heart in the old girl and decided to go for an upgrade.

BTkX4P4.jpg

4FuvreV.jpg

QZb6Qbl.jpg

1fSFg9b.jpg

Stu called by with his JZX100 monster running mental power, Adam finished up his S14a, Ed as usual do some tidy work on his awesome Micra, tested my wheels on Kanes S13 and a random Tupac banner!

r8k9WEZ.jpg

Ue7wQDk.jpg

VlT38i0.jpg

xLvQy4F.jpg

IbybUlu.jpg

bRRrc9x.jpg

lmSjw2Y.jpg

Next up was putting the rest of the engine stuff together

v0HvlmL.jpg

HmoZY8l.jpg

sOpkWHr.jpg

H8gjjrm.jpg

Fitted the engine

d8yKhJY.jpg

d8l3LRt.jpg

FHhrBKO.jpg

The car is now awaiting the silly bits and bobs being completed like intercooler piping and some wiring to make it work.

More updates soon.

JamieG95

RMS Photographer
Drives
F10 530d
“Will swap for Zafira VXR” :joy::joy::joy::joy:

Looking great, some rather nice motors floating about your place, RS6 avant lurking in the background?

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
Looks like an awesome collection in the workshop, wish I had the knowledge of the dept of work your doing with those engines etc

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
An update!!! I have to go back in time some as I have been a little lax with my build threads.

Me and Adam decided to split the cost of an AC/DC TIG welder so we could progress our projects without having to outsource any work, this came in the shape of a Stahlwerks welder, its a cheapy but for us as newbie welders it certainly does the job.

SQLSwad.jpg

VE9GHBT.jpg

I done some practise on 5mm aluminium, it was a lot easier to weld on this compared to the thin aluminium intercooler pipe work but I managed to get some presentable welds with no foot pedal.

L9dljmh.jpg

0BTQnKT.jpg

lFnV0Ex.jpg

The engine was placed into the car, and after a few niggles with waiting for parts arriving I was able to drive it for the first time in ages, engine went well and I managed to get a few miles on the car towards the run in process. Pictures here with its custom intercooler pipes. A great feeling considering it was my first time building an engine myself, it pulled hard and everything works well.

oX2GnAV.jpg

qBoODs1.jpg

I finally managed to get the new bumper on, pretty good fit considering its FRP.

CcNd58q.jpg

NCCO8VJ.jpg

Work called me away for about a month and I was home in Ireland for Christmas which meant not a lot of driving got done, I had been a little more focused on buying some parts for my AE86. Whilst at home, obese from Christmas, all my friends back to work and me sitting trying to cure my boredom, I started on a youtube binge with the idea of making a cool new exhaust for the S15 and then started to get stupid ideas into my head, the result of those ideas has been this............... (No this is not a pre-fitting picture).

Bv5euo0.jpg

dtSRzNN.jpg

fRaXQyY.jpg

DkFV5AK.jpg

I put a Driftworks thread up as soon as I got back from Ireland with the stuff for sale, prior to removing the engine pretty much most of the stuff was "dibs" so yesterday I packaged everything up and the engine was also collected today by Alex Stark who owns my old PS13.

C2rexY1.jpg

So where am I going with this? The main reason for losing the SR is mainly the challenge but also I think there is something exciting about an engine swapped car. When I decided to lose the SR I hadn't quite decided on what would replace it, I had been looking at LS swaps for ease of power, but with the lack of part availability in the UK and after crunching some numbers it didn't seem that viable. SR20's are making SERIOUS money in the UK now, believe it or not most of the stuff I had gathered is pretty much paying for my new engine/gearbox/clutch/prop.

After a quick message to Dave Lee @ JDMDistro I sourced an engine and am having to eat my own words of "I will never do a 1JZ again", this time I have gone for a VVTI version for the standard single turbo and front sump, the engine is due next month from Japan.

Does this mean I need to change the thread title now? :worried:

The plans are to run the engine mated to a GS6-53DZ BMW 530D gearbox, I am currently researching the mine field which is adapter plates and flywheel/clutch conversions, if anyone knows of a GS6-53DZ HGD model gearbox for sale please let me know.

Now I am on the waiting game for the engine, its time to get this bugger MOT'd for a potential drift day next month.

rWoVWKu.jpg

More to come.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
While that sounds great, I'd personally have my Corolla NA, something like a k20 or built k24. Plus If I had a turbo charged high power S15 I think having a high revving NA 86 would be a nice mix.