Nissan Silvia S15 Part II

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
So on Saturday I set about painting the car, fantastic morning, dry day everything was looking good, with some help from a few friends I rolled the car into the marquee and started to drag everything I needed in, heater, cleaning stuff, air line etc etc then disaster struck..... with me and the car inside. The marquee and the 6 alloy wheels, wood and various bits of strap/bungee holding it down lifted, the wheels got flung about 20/30 feet away, narrowly missing myself and the car and the marquee came to rest against a barbed wire fence, somehow avoiding damage to all cars, even that RX7 its up against.

1pNIhro.jpg

ZkkrTMD.jpg

KjKTv5v.jpg

I pretty much **** my pants and was slightly disheartened with the amount of effort I went into putting it there and our plans to paint a few cars. The car was pretty much prepped, the paint was bought and that weekend I had set aside to do it, so I worked my arse off for a few more hours and salvaged what I could to make this, it isnt pretty, nor is it amazing but at this stage I just wanted paint on the car.

kA2jiXS.jpg

J8bez7r.jpg

PX5xjqU.jpg

So I waited until everyone left the garage that night, covered as much as I could from overspray and went for it.......... it was almost 5am til I got finished with a big shout out to my pal Andy who stuck with me giving me a hand holding lights/heat guns to try and get the best I could out of a **** situation.

SNkiwVC.jpg

fq76Q0V.jpg

6RYn3C2.jpg

ijQuxkx.jpg

I left and got some much needed sleep letting things cure off a little, cautious that other people use the garage I got down as soon as I can to start throwing stuff together so I could move the car back out and it be water tight. This unfortunately revealed my wings had turned out a slightly different colour, they were grey to begin with and of course I skipped out on priming them thinking "**** it" at 3am, which obviously I now regret as they need re-painted.

wphb16Z.jpg

jqVpRvY.jpg

5FW6X9d.jpg

And then I pushed it outside and the paint hangover/tired/stress had kind of been worth it - My little picture in my head of a Ferrari Rosso Corsa Red S15 on the polished CRKai's had became a reality.

G3wzvzJ.jpg

ygMtJB2.jpg

urQ6NWj.jpg

Ordered some new buffing pads, G3 compound and plenty of 1500 grit wet and dry to flat it all down next week and remove some of the dust/imperfections, will also try and get the wings fixed for then. Thankfully this is 2K Direct Gloss acrylic with no lacquer so it can be made nice no matter what.

Hopefully the next update will be me simply dropping the JZ in.

Check back in a few weeks for more.

Dylan.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Wow Dylan, looks fantastic, cant beat a bright red S15 IMO, and the polished wheels compliment the whole look ... talented guy I must say

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Good work as ever Choppy. As usual when attempting this **** disaster is never far away but I've never had a spray booth fly away :joy:

What brand direct gloss did you use?

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
Epic! Looks fantastic Choppy, even with the slightly off shade wings :p

Looking forward to the next big update! :laughing:

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Good work as ever Choppy. As usual when attempting this **** disaster is never far away but I've never had a spray booth fly away :joy:

What brand direct gloss did you use?

I looked for the more expensive Glasurit paint but couldn’t get a decent supplier in the mainland even after some help with Greame, decided to go with Jawel paints from eBay, cheap and certainly good quality.

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
I have been fairly busy with work lately so really haven't had as much time as I would like progressing the car, usually I would do some form of tinkering every night but lately I have only managed weekends.

My package arrived from JDM Distro.
KASo0q2.jpg

What could it be?????
dDyxL5y.jpg

Had my Xcessive 1JZ > Sbody engine mounts arrive from FRSport too.
boQ5MFE.jpg

Gathered all my parts into a central location
3EpXaTs.jpg

GS6 53DZ HGD 530D gearbox (These are supposed to be fantastic for taking high power)
vKPIX8I.jpg

Started putting my FTWL Motorsport BMW > 1JZ conversion kit together, mostly worked fairly well, had a few snags with using a 1JZ VVTI Auto starter but nothing a hole cutter couldn't rectify. This is the Twin Kevlar clutch kit which is supposed to be good for up to 1000nm of torque. The large flywheel is to gain the space from the adapter plate and box differences and deceptively only weighs 8.5kgs.
rhogYf2.jpg

3KOVz3z.jpg

5NS8uYY.jpg

RtcuMuo.jpg

xXDIxBV.jpg

F2RzgVF.jpg

zVrJh0O.jpg

I then had something which looked like this.
9seuE2T.jpg

Thanks to a late night eBay purchase, I managed to snap up this fairly rare stock location manifold from eBay for what can only be classed as a bargain, being sold as a factory 1JZ manifold.
AMG5auR.jpg

OyDXkx6.jpg

Then to make sure everything was going to fit and work I fitted everything into the car, unfortunately it has to come back out this weekend so I can bash the gearbox tunnel a little for some extra clearance. It looks right at home.
UJhuJxW.jpg

pFEA77i.jpg

aX1qxNm.jpg

I have now ordered up some steel box section to start welding up a gearbox mount, hopefully that will be done this weekend if I can manage to get the engine in and out. After that its time to get the prop shaft welded then some exhaust and intercooler pipe work made.

More to come soon :grinning:

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
A thread update at long last, only a month later but its got lots of juicy stuff.

I pulled the engine back out, I needed slightly more clearance around the tunnel and I wanted to clean everything up and re-do the brake lines before putting it all back together - As per usual it never ended up this way. We had a wild Edward powered S15 for a few minutes.

ueNCAMi.jpg

X0BuTWu.jpg

Started cleaning and painting the inlet manifold.

lTxprEb.jpg

Now I came to an awkward point in the build where I had to make some important decisions, my original plan was to run the car with the stock 1jz until such times I saved up enough to do a top mount conversion, after laying out my options, the work in getting the engine working/correct with a top mount setup was actually less all be it more expensive. I didn't fancy making exhausts, buying flanges and all the silly things to have it on the stock engine so I bit the bullet and went the expensive way.

Every spare penny over the last few months has been pumped into this now, I even had a garage clear out and sold off tons of spares just to help buy things.

First up some Siemens Deka 875cc injectors - Contrary to the internet, these do not fit in a stock 1JZ VVTI and require turning down on a lathe, thankfully the guys that work near to me done it for a box of beer.

MhBk4YH.jpg

5VDmPY0.jpg

CZMBaoU.jpg

Then I needed a proper manifold and turbo, not any Chinese stuff which would be useless but something beefy, I went for an APW Engineering custom made T3 Twinscroll 50mm wastegated manifold, as you can see Andy made a top job. Managed to get my hands on a new Holset HX35 7 blade 11cm rear housing, topped off with a second hand Turbosmart 50mm Progate. A quick loose test fit to the engine proved I had made the right decision.

tzDybCV.jpg

hcMLbuS.jpg

ZTRGby6.jpg

HY37GBE.jpg

Also, all this stuff can't work without some form of engine management, after considering a number of options I decided on an ECUMaster Black Standalone, you get amazing bang for your buck and they are starting to get VERY popular. Went for the whole kit which includes the Bosh 4.9 wide band and a MAC boost solenoid.

eng_pl_Ecumaster-EMU-Black-stand-alone-computer-kit-4-5026_2.jpg

I am waiting for some paint to arrive this week so I can finish cleaning up the engine and covers, this should see me ready to put the engine back into the car and continue making the custom gearbox mount and exhaust. Once in I will be attempting to make a full standalone wiring harness with a little help from the HPAcademy videos.

Will try and get some more regular updates in the thread.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Also, all this stuff can't work without some form of engine management, after considering a number of options I decided on an ECUMaster Black Standalone, you get amazing bang for your buck and they are starting to get VERY popular. Went for the whole kit which includes the Bosh 4.9 wide band and a MAC boost solenoid.

eng_pl_Ecumaster-EMU-Black-stand-alone-computer-kit-4-5026_2.jpg

Let me know how you get on with this ECU bud. I am considering ECU Masters DET3 for the MX5 turbo build. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there in the MX5 community with this ECU.

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
@chopaholic how do you find the HPA course? I'm tempted to do it but the skeptical side of me thinks it could be a load of balls
Great, go for it.

I actually haven't went for the full course yet, I have just been watching the free ones. It is so much money just to watch some video's I am not sure yet, but they do seem good.

Which one did you go for Ian?

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Which one did you go for Ian?
A lot, EFI tuning fundamentals, Practical standalone tuning, wiring fundamentals, practical wiring, boost control, understanding AFR and engine building fundamentals.

Learnt so much, was able to set up and map my Datsun from these courses although wasn't confident enough to do the full map on the Datsun. Also did the base map on my civic which as it turned out was better than the professional map I got done after, although this will be sorted soon hopefully. Its more for understanding whats going on and how to set up ECU's and so on rather than me actually trying to do a full map myself as its hard on the road, especially without someone else knowing what is needed if they drive. Plus you'd be a fool to map using a wideband like might be connected to your ECU, you need a more professional setup costing over 1k to be confident in your readings. The results from the PLX wideband in my EF were off from the pro setup Johnny uses at AI Autosport for example so I wouldn't want to be using that for high rpm stuff.