Nissan Silvia S15 Part II

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
All great work, love it all, its looking proper awesome, going to be a weapon, and in your hands I imagine passengers will need to wear a nappy.

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
I hate cleaning cars with a passion, nothing sickens me more than people who like a two bucket method and I am the sort of person who will pick the sponge up of the gravel. Needless to say it wouldn't have been a good idea for me to attempt much cleaning, so my friend Ryan has been helping sort out some of the paint work, he is about half way through the process and has been machine polishing it.

A sneak picture:

myurExp.jpg

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Body work and colour look spot on but I just dont think the wheels suit it - maybe a jap thing which i have no clue about tbh

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Looking forward to more updates, superb thread.

Winced at the photo of the turbo getting cut. Ballsy!

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Here is a well over due update to try and bring this thread up to date, please excuse the fact I will probably have missed parts/pictures as so many things have happened over the last 2/3 months and I have got a memory like a sieve.

I will start with something I done a while ago but haven't got round to fully completing yet, extra lock. I spotted these Geomaster 2's on eBay for a bargain 3/4 months ago, without much thought about what supporting modifications they would need (I have never had extra lock before) I purchased them and let them sit and gather dust for a while, I was considering trying to buy some extended lower arms, but the only ones I could find were £200/300 for home made jobbies. I then realised I had a spare set of lower arms in my parts pile, some spare TEIN inner tie rods and extended outer rods, I decided to have a bash at modifying them myself.

I am not any form of pro welder, but judging by the fact most people on youtube were using gas-less migs and getting decent results I decided to give them a bash myself and used the TIG on a nice high heat, they came out pretty good, you can see at the end where I messed up and had to cut the lock stops as they were getting a little too close to the holes for the tension rods.

Dc9puuv.jpg

jx998rn.jpg

MGc760g.jpg

aL11p6a.jpg

CFQ03uL.jpg

uXR0lEM.jpg

1J2vn2x.jpg

n37Ouyj.jpg

HG6xi9O.jpg

maxTVMk.jpg

Next up was a job I was putting off for ages, the underside of the car, it was all done in white when the car was white, although it looked great before, with the now red paint it looked ridiculous, so I set about making it black. I also refreshed a few bits I wasn't happy with, fitted a new Walbro 450 fuel pump and added a couple of adjustable arms with the new Skyline R33 rear brake setup.

eELc7Pg.jpg

pDjsf9T.jpg

WfjZ83N.jpg

GD5WWhk.jpg

cvWI85n.jpg

FWx7d5W.jpg

glVtfxe.jpg

ZlBypma.jpg

VgtKIGv.jpg

As you will know, I am extremely limited for space in the engine bay, I needed to get a little bit smarter about my brakes as I want the car to be half decent for road driving, after LOTS of research I decided I was going to get rid of my GKTech brake servo delete in favour of the following: S14 NON ABS Import brake servo, 300ZX BM57 LHD master cylinder and a GKTech braided line kit. Required a little bit of hammering to the turret, but works much better and I actually have some feeling in my pedal. Also tigged up my wastegate screamer pipe.

Q5cB3tL.jpg

0jlAn4H.jpg

A tough decision but I sold my AE86 in favour of more money towards my house deposit, the car was being wasted sitting in a car park. I also treated myself to a nice set of Milwaukee power tools, if you are on the edge about buying these, do it!!!! I wish I had done it years ago, makes life so easy.

czxIm5K.jpg

uYskj3d.jpg

Next up, mapping!!!! A huge milestone for the car, it was due to go down at the start of lockdown but with restrictions in place I decided to take some more time and run over the full car to make sure it was as good as it could be, I would hate to have made the trip fully down there and have the car break over something silly.

I borrowed a transit recovery from my friend and took the car down to Js Motorsport who is the nearest local mapper I would trust, he was super busy so the car had to stay for a few weeks until he could fit it in, which suited me as I almost needed a few days away from it to give me a rest.

8SW7EQJ.jpg

bG1JfTg.jpg

I had asked Jack to give the car a little once over before he started his work for my own piece of mind as another set of eyes can often spot issues you can not. This was a bit of a proud moment for me, Jack said he had no faults with the car, my pre-mapping worries had now gone out the window.

Unfortunately the car never quite made what I expected of it, I was expecting it to make 500bhp+ but it initially made 420bhp at 1.4bar on the dyno, for some reason it was going to 100% duty cycle for the boost controller at 1.4 bar. Weirdly, when Jack took it on the road and done some magic, it eventually managed to go to 1.6 bar. Still not quite my 500bhp+ mark but now doing 1.6bar its much closer. Jack assured me on the phone that I will be very happy with how it drove, it was super responsive and very fast.

Before collecting the car, I decided it was time to step my game up slightly, I had borrowed my friends recovery truck and the ease of moving the car about had me hooked, I decided to steal a little bit of my house savings and purchased this to make the collection. Got it as a steal and its very mint considering its age. As soon as I got the car back I had to have a play, a quick 2nd and 3rd gear pull (excuse the quality).

odlePmt.jpg

Jack was right, the car is an animal at the power its at, it spins the wheels in every gear and is enough to make it scary, exactly what I wanted - my previous thoughts of possibly needing to upgrade the turbo for a much more expensive GTX3076 to make some more power had disappeared and I was again happy.

Last edited:

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Next milestone was MOT, it needed some stupid jobs doing, rear foglight, reverse lights, height adjusted slightly and some polishing. A few miles trip down to the local MOT place was the first time driving it on the road, it was nice to drive it but even nicer to come away with a pass, only one advisory for a rear wheel bearing. OFC a few days later it got the wheel bearing. I even took a few photos when it was sunny.

H52EAWP.jpg

VgLIt5m.jpg

BbDjatb.jpg

CfucE8r.jpg

Not quite satisfied with the feeling of the Wilwood brakes, I picked up a set of 350Z Brembos to try and give me a better road car feeling, the wilwoods were good but needed lots of heating first. Due to the Brembos being a slightly different fit, you have to drill your hubs out to 14mm, I decided to fit my extra lock knuckles at this point as it would save me ruining a standard set of S15 hubs if I ever wanted to go back. Sticking to the stock bottom arms for now, the lock to lock is now much quicker and certainly better.

tc2FZss.jpg

UPigS6j.jpg

As with most things on the car, there was things I wasn't happy about, the rear lights were the main one, spotted a pair of OEM tail lights at a price I could afford and done a purchase, I have been wanting to change these since the car was white. Also purchased a new GKTech viscous van, this increases the air flow through the radiator and reduces my temps by a few degrees.

I had a small issue with the car when my fuel pump wiring decided to desegregate, I am pretty sure Walbro spec stuff is not supposed to become brittle to the point its exposing wires in the tank. I re-wired everything with Raychem DR25 and covered it in stuff called PRC, this is used on the inside/outside of Typhoon fuel tanks. Hopefully it holds up this time.

qPqyybJ.jpg

ACz5GuD.jpg

GwzoNZX.jpg

Last but not least, I can never pass up a good deal, so I purchased this little 180sx from my friend as a side quest, made the trip to Scotland on Friday to collect it. This will be getting a tidy up to be sold at the end of the year.

NXwgbc8.jpg

Fingers crossed the next pictures/videos will be doing some skids.

Thanks for looking.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Well done mate ... Honestly your best project to date. Couldn't fault it. Sounds insane.

amcm1

RMS Regular
Everything about that car is perfect. Unfortunately your now making me want to rip mine apart to do something mad with it 😂

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Thanks for your kind comments everyone.

You've built that car as good as any pro.. Brilliant work bud as always.
Think we need more 180 pics lol

Might stick some 180sx progress pictures up in here, won't be touching it for a little while, been a bit sore on the savings the last while lol

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
What beauties, both the car and the plane. I've always wanted to own a spitfire, but unfortunately I am not a multi millionaire which is what it would take to get something close to a spitfire today.

chopaholic

RMS Regular
OP
chopaholic
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Haven't touched the car in what feels like ages, got some work to do early next year on it as its burning oil on start up (valve stem oil seals).

I am heading out of the country for a few months so decided to give the car a clean before parking her up in the garage. I hate cleaning cars but its nice having it looking tidy. Even managed to grab a few pictures.

euAZ2qd.jpg

HM8BVYp.jpg

gw5Pu4z.jpg

CtuGHLM.jpg

XtuFUq0.jpg

AC0OfNY.jpg

819NVRe.jpg

Been purchasing some bits to improve a few things which annoy me, mainly the clunking of the welded diff, have opted for a 350z 5 bolt diff and shafts, GKTech conversion spacers
and I will likely have to now purchase something to space the hubs slightly allowing the drive shafts to fit without over compressing them.