No bass from 6x9's

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
turned everything on 2day for a wee listen after dynomatting both doors, and theres no bass coming from the 6x9s.....

there kenwoods i bought from iceman about 3months ago. checked all connections, but nothing would happen if there was a loose connection, so its not that.

the twin tweeters in each speaker work fine, but there is no bass at all

rosssei

RMS Regular
could it be headunit settings?? had the same problem wit a kenwood headunit, had to adjust it from there mate?

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
OP
Chris Mac
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
6x9s arent amped matey.
yea theres a setting on the HU i think i checked it, but ill check again but cant see why it would be affecting it, as its still playing med and treble just no bass

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
There is a setting on my headunit (Pioneer) that allows you to take away the bass from the rear speakers. Perhaps yours has something similar?

Can find out exactly what its called tomorrow if you are still stuck.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
OP
Chris Mac
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
yea del, the terminals are differnet sizes, and the connections are different to fit them perfectly so they wont fit over the wrong terminal

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
never worry dude...will sound better now anyhow!!

Push the cone down...if its rigid the coil is gone.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
OP
Chris Mac
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
see theyr only like 2 months old, got them from iceman, and ollie had a look at them yesterday and we played with the cone, and no problems....he was reli puzzled!!

-Pete-

RMS Regular
the wire coming down the cone and joining the voice coil might have come away and now its not getting any power although you wouldnt know unless you cut them apart(not going to happen)

must be something obscure if ollie couldnt find it when he looked

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
OP
Chris Mac
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
i no, he played withthe connecting wires from the connections into the cone, and made no difference, think its gonna be a case of sending back to mr kenwood and seeling what they say about things.....

lee-r33

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 Skyline
just burn them and buy a sub and some components lol 6X9's are the enemy

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
DUDE!!
i will repeat this once more.... haha
they can be out of phase, turn the balance from centre to left, then centre to right. If there is more bass when one speaker is sounding, then they are out of phase. It's a common problem and can come from a crossed wire, inside or outside the stereo or amp.
Chris, you mentioned that the terminals are different sizes - this is true and they denote pos and neg connections, but check the wire where it's connected to the amp or stereo, they could be mixed up there.
Cheers
Del

rosssei

RMS Regular
agreed (y)

I have Components and a Sub and sounds alot better SQ than mates with 6x9s and Sub, although his is louder but distorts alot easier.

lol thats only his front speakers ricky...cus they still standard! never had a probs wit 6x9s in my sei, but had uprated fronts and the sub! keep em in Chris if you already got dem! good for pure noise! I had mine set up to only play mid range and some treble, sub played bass and front's played treble. Sounded awesome as anyone who heard the wee car could tell ya!

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
Any chance of connecting the 6*9s up to someone elses car for a minute?

That will tell you quickly if its the speakers or the settings on you system. Will be a lot fast than messing about sending speakers to kenwood etc

As for 6*9s and a sub, the vibrations from the sub could have caused damage to the 6*9s, in saying that I had a similar set up in my corsa and it didnt damage them. Sound quality was really not affected either, I had both components / subs and components / subs / 6*9 set ups, both as good as the other for different reasons.

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
6x9's in a car are only good at producing noise!!

The sound stage should always come from the front!! Ive yet to hear a nice sound from a car running, comps, sub and 6x9s. if the sub is particularly good/powerful it causes the air to vibrate enough to affect the cone on the 6x9's.

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
Not if you have the bottom of the 6*9s boxed off lad and good powerful front components.

six_impressive_hours

RMS Regular
A rear stage is daft imo.

Do you go to a concert and stand with your back to it? ^o)

A sub and the best set of components you can afford is what you want ;)

jamesy

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
A rear stage is daft imo.

Do you go to a concert and stand with your back to it?

A sub and the best set of components you can afford is what you want

jamesy

I wasn't getting at a rear stage, I agree that most sound should come from the front.

My point was just using rear speakers as fill, Chris says he hasnt the 6*9s amped and he has amped front components so cant see anything wrong with that as most sound will be coming from the front..........

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
OP
Chris Mac
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
people seem to be overlooking the fact that i have 2 subs, a 4channel amp, front components and a 2channel amp already in the car.

the 6x9s are only in for abit more mid and treble in the back of the car, as with the subs there is so much bass, so the people in the back get abit of treble and mid aswell, but the 6x9s arnt working properly, althought the mid and treb is still coming through, its not like normal and sounds w@nk

need to just get a new parcel shelf, but its easier to pick up a hens teeth than find out

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Chris.... we can't overlook what we haven't been told dude.....
have you sorted anything yet?
I'm losing sleep over this post........... haha

six_impressive_hours

RMS Regular
I wasn't getting at a rear stage, I agree that most sound should come from the front.

My point was just using rear speakers as fill, Chris says he hasnt the 6*9s amped and he has amped front components so cant see anything wrong with that as most sound will be coming from the front..........

If you try disconnecting the rear fill, the clarity improves imo. The rear speakers are further away and thus the soundwaves are reaching your ears at different times, distorting the sound you hear to an extent.

I think there are some clever hu's out there with dsp's built in that can get round this though.

jamesy

six_impressive_hours

RMS Regular
people seem to be overlooking the fact that i have 2 subs, a 4channel amp, front components and a 2channel amp already in the car.

the 6x9s are only in for abit more mid and treble in the back of the car, as with the subs there is so much bass, so the people in the back get abit of treble and mid aswell, but the 6x9s arnt working properly, althought the mid and treb is still coming through, its not like normal and sounds w@nk

need to just get a new parcel shelf, but its easier to pick up a hens teeth than find out

But you don't sit in the back ;)