No fling Tyre Shine

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
What do people use to clean tyres before using slick ? I had my wheels off , wheel cleaner, citrus prewash , fallout remover, shampoo. Dried , tyre slick, wipe off excess , sat a few days in garage. Drove 60miles and it looks like bare tyres again!
I get a far better look by just leaving whatever is on there and topping it up after washing wheels and not touching the tyres.

This lol. Wash car as normal, wash alloys. Dry car and dress paint etc then last thing I do I tire slick. Usually by this stage the tires are pretty dry.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
I would go with 2 or 3 @Big Pimp . As your tyre shine has quite a thin consistancy, something with a small thin outlet might be better? I have not opened my new one yet, but I would appreciate a top for it if thats possible.

Lee

RMS Regular
20190502_180507.jpg

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Orchard Glitz or Zaino z16 would be my go to tyre products and are great at providing gloss without any sling. Carpro PERL is also a good option, as you can also dilute it down for use on plastics, engine, rubber or leather (hence the PERL name)
I've always found Meguiars far too thick, and seems to gather fairly heavily in the sidewall patterns on the tyres. Gyeon is excellent but the tyres need to be cleaned thoroughly between applications or it will start browning. Auto Glym Tyre Gel is very good indeed, with good longevity, and if applied sensibly, although it's a thick gel, wont sling but gives good gloss.
I'm going to give rollo a shout within the next week or so, so I can see if he has any stock available of glitz. PM me @davyk31 And I'll let you know.

Cheers

Cooks

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Orchard Glitz or Zaino z16 would be my go to tyre products and are great at providing gloss without any sling. Carpro PERL is also a good option, as you can also dilute it down for use on plastics, engine, rubber or leather (hence the PERL name)
I've always found Meguiars far too thick, and seems to gather fairly heavily in the sidewall patterns on the tyres. Gyeon is excellent but the tyres need to be cleaned thoroughly between applications or it will start browning. Auto Glym Tyre Gel is very good indeed, with good longevity, and if applied sensibly, although it's a thick gel, wont sling but gives good gloss.
I'm going to give rollo a shout within the next week or so, so I can see if he has any stock available of glitz. PM me @davyk31 And I'll let you know.

Cheers

Cooks
I had Glitz and never liked it at all. It went on like water , hardly knew anything was on there. Had other Orchard products so not bashing them , just never liked the tyre shine.

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
I had Glitz and never liked it at all. It went on like water , hardly knew anything was on there. Had other Orchard products so not bashing them , just never liked the tyre shine.
I've found that different tyre products can react very differently on different brands of tyre. Bridgestone potenza s001 were fantastic with glitz. But not so good with zaino. The Michelin Primacy 4 on my wife's a class dont seem to want to gloss up at all, but the Goodyear on my 3 series do. Bizarre, but I suppose it can be simply a characteristic of the rubber compound and how it absorbs the various products.

Cooks

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
I've found that different tyre products can react very differently on different brands of tyre. Bridgestone potenza s001 were fantastic with glitz. But not so good with zaino. The Michelin Primacy 4 on my wife's a class dont seem to want to gloss up at all, but the Goodyear on my 3 series do. Bizarre, but I suppose it can be simply a characteristic of the rubber compound and how it absorbs the various products.

Cooks
Yeah thats a good possibility actually.

RCT

RMS Regular

Cooks

That’s correct I’ve seen it over the years in our garages. Some of the tyres will not show a good shine and dull quickly and seem to absorb the slick. At the same time you don’t want to slarry it on as it’ll be up the side of the car! It was Michelin’s that were very bad on Toyota Auris a number of years back, and I thought the supplier of our products had changed the product/diluted it down, but it’s deffo in the tyre compound, so your not imagining things.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Tried a good few dressings but always come back to Megs endurance.

Having clean, dry tyres are essential for starters then work it in well, I use a shoe polish applicator sponge.

Allow to dry for as long as possible too. (y)

MarkP

RMS Regular
Drives
zafira :-(
Tried a good few dressings but always come back to Megs endurance.

Having clean, dry tyres are essential for starters then work it in well, I use a shoe polish applicator sponge.

Allow to dry for as long as possible too. (y)

This is what I've used for years but was considering trying a new product as it doesn't last very long.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
This is what I've used for years but was considering trying a new product as it doesn't last very long.
Really clean your tyres. Mine didn't last one journey whereas i did Mel's new tyres (never had shine on them previous) 3 weeks ago and it's still gleaming.

Reactions: Mel

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Car washed today and scrubbed the tyres so they should be very clean. Dried them off with my pet dryer and will leave them to sit for a day or two as I won't use the car again until the weekend. Will treat he tyres tomorrow but not sure yet whether to try Meguairs or Anachem tyre shine to give them another shot

Any tips as to how to make these work without fling. I really don't think I use too much product and have bought some of the little kitchen sponges to apply with

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Car washed today and scrubbed the tyres so they should be very clean. Dried them off with my pet dryer and will leave them to sit for a day or two as I won't use the car again until the weekend. Will treat he tyres tomorrow but not sure yet whether to try Meguairs or Anachem tyre shine to give them another shot

Any tips as to how to make these work without fling. I really don't think I use too much product and have bought some of the little kitchen sponges to apply with

Personally I would use both. Tyres on passenger side with one brand and use the other brand on driver side. Just will give an idea of works best on the tyre, lasts longest, least fling etc.

Apply sparingly, I also go round the tyre several times to try and get even coverage and then wipe away excess with a microfibre.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular

Try a different one on each wheel and see which you prefer.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Sooooo the results are in! Used the Anachem tyre gloss. Washed the car on bank Hol Monday scrubbed the tyres and dried them off with my pet dryer. Left it to sit until the Weds and applied two thin coats of tyre shine. Rubbed over with microfibre a few times and again the car did not move until Saturday. Really couldn't have prepared better and everything should have been bone dry but after the first trip I had some fling, not loads but too much for me. A couple more trips since and likely about 60 miles done on dry roads and the finish is very dull and really would need reapplied. So sorry Ross! Most of your products I love but not the tyre shine.

Not sure what I'm trying next as my bottle of Orchard tyre shine is nearly done and it's been the only one with no fling so far

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
Took into the family car yesterday evening.
Used anachem ultra slick. I used a spare spray head I had lieing around and sprayed it onto a detailing brush and done the tyres that way. One coat, left to dry over night and had a great shine this morning.
Wife took herself and the children on a random trip to carlingford and back today and not one drop has flicked onto the side of the car.

RoniN

RMS Regular
Try Autoglym Bumper and Trim Gel for the tyres.
It is more expensive but it will not fling and lasts ages.

Either rub it into the tyres with a foam pad or paint it on with a brush, then wipe with a cloth.

Cheers

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Think as we have said before it’s very dependent on the tyre brand and also the surface of the tyre wall. Some are very smooth and anything looks good on them but others have lots of little ribs which seem to be issue with the Pirelli’s on my Macan.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Sooooo the results are in! Used the Anachem tyre gloss. Washed the car on bank Hol Monday scrubbed the tyres and dried them off with my pet dryer. Left it to sit until the Weds and applied two thin coats of tyre shine. Rubbed over with microfibre a few times and again the car did not move until Saturday. Really couldn't have prepared better and everything should have been bone dry but after the first trip I had some fling, not loads but too much for me. A couple more trips since and likely about 60 miles done on dry roads and the finish is very dull and really would need reapplied. So sorry Ross! Most of your products I love but not the tyre shine.

Not sure what I'm trying next as my bottle of Orchard tyre shine is nearly done and it's been the only one with no fling so far
Did you try the Meguires ?

gsmith

RMS Regular
@davyk31 I’ve always found Autoglym rubber plus cleaner to be the one that doesn’t flick with a proper slick finish.
Angelwax elixir again I have found applied properly doesn’t flick leaves a more clean satin finish.

gsmith

RMS Regular
That’s elixir after one coat and I’ve had no issues with any flick my go to is still Autoglym rubber plus for most off the cars I do. But I only use this now on the wife’s. 👍🏻👍🏻
24F15E6D-83E4-43F7-89ED-137E311C500F.jpeg

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
I use AG Rubber Plus on both other cars I have and it’s great with no fling and that’s with no special cleaning of tyres or wiping the tyre dry. It did however fling on the Macan but may try it again.

Have a bottle of Meguairs and should try it on the Macan but had trouble with fling with it on cars before and also seems to leave a lot of residue on the tyres that goes a bit brown after it gets wets. Is very durable from memory.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Meguairs does fling quite a bit.

Fireball Tire Wax is great and is my go to Slick now, haven't had any fling that I have noticed either. I use it on plastic trims too.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
How do you apply the Fireball Graeme and is it a thicker or thin product?

How much is it and for what size?