No more BAPPP BAPPPP baby..........

Nigelo

RMS Regular
How do motorcycles compared to cars in terms of exhaust noise volume? Anecdotally they sound dramatically louder, are they?

Also, sounds reasonable enough in a built-up residential area, but can imagine they'll be on slip roads, stretches of dual carriageway etc ... "if we can't find you for breaking the speed limit, we'll fine you for driving slowly and noisily"

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
OP
NI_Volvo_Nut
Drives
Volvo's!
I know the DVA & PSNI have no means of testing exhaust noise but there is legislation for illegally modified exhausts or modified from standard, whatever way it worded. Motorcycle exhausts which are loud are generally marked as "not for road use"

Speaking of which, motorbike cans on cars seems to have died a death? Have the children finally wised up??

DJMCA

RMS Regular
I know the DVA & PSNI have no means of testing exhaust noise but there is legislation for illegally modified exhausts or modified from standard, whatever way it worded. Motorcycle exhausts which are loud are generally marked as "not for road use"

Speaking of which, motorbike cans on cars seems to have died a death? Have the children finally wised up??
I was one of those children that had an aftermarket can on my bikes

Tbh technology has moved on as with most things. New bikes have such efficient exhausts which sound well to start so they dont need changed

Same as most sportscars now, sound well outta the box and dont really need aftermarket exhausts

Edit - 'Not for road use' was easily covered by a sticker for MOT purposes lol

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Not that it's as bad, but the noise of some lorries, vans, tractors that are completely OEM are loud. Frig when the oil deliveries or bin lorries go up my street they're as loud as the wee boy racer that visits across the road. Why is one different to the other ?

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
“The current legal noise limit for car meeting type approval is 74 decibels, and it is it is illegal to modify a car’s exhaust system to make it noisier than the level at which it passed type approval with.”

One for the TIL thread. That’s Capristo, Tubistyle, Akropovic, etc out of business in the UK then

MarkM

RMS Regular
“The current legal noise limit for car meeting type approval is 74 decibels, and it is it is illegal to modify a car’s exhaust system to make it noisier than the level at which it passed type approval with.”

One for the TIL thread. That’s Capristo, Tubistyle, Akropovic, etc out of business in the UK then

That’s been the case for some time though technically, nothing will change!