North Coast 500 - Scottish road trip

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Been following this for a while and they've finally got the website sorted out with itinerarys, details and routes!

North Coast 500 - Home

I fully intend to do this next year, some of the best driving roads and scenery Scotland has to offer. It annoys me that I spent 5 years living close to Inverness and instead of experiencing these roads I wasted time sitting in car parks every night in a Nova while dreaming of Novadose kits and neons :p

The luxury itinerary looks brilliant, though would soon add up to the price of a nice holiday abroad!

RMS road trip anyone?

steaa

RMS Regular
Drives
DBP MK7.5 R
I'd love to do something like this. Checked out some of the locations on google maps street view and there is some really good scenery(y)

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
There was an article on PistonHeads about this, they did it in the GT86 and the new MX5. Looks pretty spectacular in places and all different types of road!

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
The Highlands are simply stunning. Done it a few times on the motorcycle and I never tire of it. The roads are made for biking

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Ah didn't realise pistonheads had done it already @gary87, must look the article up here now! (y)

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Done a 1600 mile road trip around the highlands a few years ago, one of the best holidays I've ever had.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Just back from a week in Dornoch. Even in the van its a nice drive. Some dangerous stretches though and hard to give it any beans as there are always cyclists round the corner or hikers or something or other.

BLS

RMS Regular
Drives
bmw
Would like to do that road from inverness to applecross

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
We go to Inverness every year for a 4 day motorbike trip and it's the best weekend, over 1000miles in 4 days.

The only bit you will be disappointed with is the section from John O'Groats back to Inverness bar a few miles of it it's fast, open and dull, I would head inland rather than do this section.

I would love to go to northern Spain some time for a week but it's a major PITA to get to............fine if you live near Plymouth, just hop on the ferry!

Applecross............................

2015-07-05%2013.53.09%202_zpszn0xpsuv.jpg

Last edited:

BLS

RMS Regular
Drives
bmw
We go to Inverness every year for a 4 day motorbike trip and it's the best weekend, over 1000miles in 4 days.

The only bit you will be disappointed with is the section from John O'Groats back to Inverness bar a few miles of it it's fast, open and dull, I would head inland rather than do this section.

I would love to go to northern Spain some time for a week but it's a major PITA to get to............fine if you live near Plymouth, just hop on the ferry!

Applecross............................

2015-07-05%2013.53.09%202_zpszn0xpsuv.jpg
Look at that road and scenery!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Right, heading off next weekend on a Scottish trip and will be doing more or less the NC500 in stages. However, I have come across this road from Lairg to Laxford Bridge which skips a corner

I believe this route will be a lot more quiet than the normal route, what do you think?

This is the normal route you would take from Inverness to Ullapool

Ullapool.jpg

And this is the alternative route I am proposing, then continue along the coast north as normal.

Lairg.jpg

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Your routes leaving out that part of the A838, there's only small sections of it double lane

Last edited:

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Just realising after looking more in to it that I would miss out the Kylesku Bridge which is on my hit list so never mind!