Not the normal “which new car”.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Anyone give some advice please on what to buy for reliability and fuel economy .looking at the likes of a 2014 on fiesta ,Citroen,Hyundai i20,308 ect.
The car will be doing 40 total mile trips to work 3 days and other data around the town .
Diesel is first option for fuel economy obviously but if a good mpg petrol car was best it would be ok .
My sister has a petrol 1.2 i i20 doing same trips and it’s average is high 50,s .car will never be above 60. - 70 so is a dpf a worry along with erg valves .i am not in the know with regards to this size of car to know what’s best.£7000 approx is the budget but with right car it can be increased to £9000 - £10000 max.any help will be greatly appreciated especially if anyone is in sales to give an honest opinion.
My sisters i20 has 84k on it now in 5 years and has been a great wee car so it’s something like that I’m looking .thankyou guys .

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Anyone give some advice please on what to buy for reliability and fuel economy .looking at the likes of a 2014 on fiesta ,Citroen,Hyundai i20,308 ect.
The car will be doing 40 total mile trips to work 3 days and other data around the town .
Diesel is first option for fuel economy obviously but if a good mpg petrol car was best it would be ok .
My sister has a petrol 1.2 i i20 doing same trips and it’s average is high 50,s .car will never be above 60. - 70 so is a dpf a worry along with erg valves .i am not in the know with regards to this size of car to know what’s best.£7000 approx is the budget but with right car it can be increased to £9000 - £10000 max.any help will be greatly appreciated especially if anyone is in sales to give an honest opinion.
My sisters i20 has 84k on it now in 5 years and has been a great wee car so it’s something like that I’m looking .thankyou guys .

For journeys that short diesel will cost more than petrol, general consensus is well over 10k miles a year is when diesel starts to become cheaper.

Get a small capacity petrol with a 6 speed box, 5 speed are normally suited for city or town driving so can use more fuel on longer trips.

Wouldn't know which cars to look at though

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Picked up a 4 year old 899cc turbo clio for the daughter recently with 6800 miles on it for similar use and miles. It seems great, does good mpg and she likes it.
20190413_181151.jpg

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Just get out and drive some! Why not check the likes of honestjohn.co.uk for advice as it is not "badge-biased" like much advice from the internets.
Personally, I like a cheap to run daily and the 2 new Fiestas I've had recently have been almost flawless apart from bendy brake discs and the demeanour of the Ford garage/ staff.
My current daily, a 1.7cdti Astra H runs on a sniff of red (little joke for the fuel inspectors there) and has cost a timing belt, brakes, tyres and oil over 4 years of ownership. Oh, one failure was a single glow-plug. And at 105k miles, any day might bring injector failure! All in all, it has been a very un-Alfa type car ownership experience.

Last edited:

Gavlar

RMS Regular
1.33 Yaris. Atleast with Toyota you'll get reliability and prob some 5 year warranty remaining depending on your budget

Just noticed your budget, will get you into a decent spec 2016/2017 one

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70

Selling this for the sister in law. Do you a good price on it 👍

RM55MCC

RMS Regular
Drives
fn2 type r gt
Fiesta St 👍🏼 Great Mpg

Attachments

• DD88BF23-B263-4FDE-91EF-429DAED93191.jpeg
    DD88BF23-B263-4FDE-91EF-429DAED93191.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 50

zafturbo

RMS Regular
OP
zafturbo
FiestaSt 👍🏼 Great Mpg
St is so right But in this occasion it’s got 2 doors missing ,it’s to “sporty” and defo uninsurable for the purchaser in question .needs to be low tax and insurance group .!

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
St is so right But in this occasion it’s got 2 doors missing ,it’s to “sporty” and defo uninsurable for the purchaser in question .needs to be low tax and insurance group .!

How about a fiesta zetecS with 4 doors? Think they come as 1.0 turbos

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
A straightforward normally aspirated petrol Fiesta would surely be a sensible bet ?

Anything French....nope.

Although you'd like to hope anything at that age could be driven for a year or two with ease with almost minimal costs.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Your budget would reach a new model (2017 on) Suzuki Swift with the 1.0 boosterjet (turbo) engine. Wife has one and likes it. Economy in the mid 50s, very light, torquey and good fun to drive. They are 4 door but look a bit like a 2 door with the hidden handles. Interior a bit plasticy but hey.
The old model with the 1.2 na engine is nice too.