Number Plate

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
ok, a simialr story to that of yaris_wrc that ive just read.

basically, dad had a riley elf mk2 back in 67. on it, was a minter of a plate. now, the car is long since dead + fook knows where it resides, if it resides at all. however, he still has the tax book. is it illegal to get an elf, exactly the same and tax it with the number on, or would this involve the removal of some other plates :roll:? is there any other way of getting round it? i mean legal ways, although the number is worth going to a LOT of trouble for, old lyons senior is no criminal!

:grinning:

Marty Lad

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
you'd need the chassis plates of the old elf as well if you were planning on using the same reg and tax book, lyons senior may not approve though as this would classify as ringing and may be slightly illegal. although ive been told that helpful post office staff can give you a tax disc without such minor details as an mot cert, as long as you have the tax book,thus in theory allowing you to transfer the reg to whatever you want although not many will be willing to do it...........

-out of interest, What is the reg anyway?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
so you wouldnt need the original VIN plates if i found a helpful post office worker? like i say, the original car is long gone. its a pity to think someone cant benefift from the number plate now, just because the car is dead. its a pity the law couldnt make exceptions in special circumstances!!

Marty Lad said:
-out of interest, What is the reg anyway?

good ;)

Nordonian

RMS Regular
give my dad a call lyons, he runs a personalised number plate business, he cud give u all the proper answers 02838 849849

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
i do believe i was in there getting a chip a few months ago :grinning:

id rather keep this on the "DL" until i can confirm the legalities etc.

Marty Lad

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
as far as anyone would know, the car is taxed and is on the road, and so should be eligible to have its reg transferred, ive heard that this taxing method is usually used for the nasty business of mot and insurance evasion and so your helpful post office worker should be much more willing than usual when he hears your case

Nordonian

RMS Regular
registration dealers i think are issued with a program under strict liscence where they are able to look up a persons address from their plate,

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.