Number plates

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

MR2 super GT

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 TTRS
what happens to a number plate if its on a car but the tax and Mot have run out?

how long does it stay on the car?

do you have to move it to another car?

Marc

RMS Moderator
you can keep it on the car as long as you like, but to transfer it to another car in the future you will need to have had the car mot'd.

MR2 super GT

RMS Regular
OP
MR2 super GT
Drives
Mk2 TTRS
ok here is the scenario (answers on a postcard):

I have a car with a cherished plate on it.
the car in question is a piece of **** and cost more for me to insure than my yaris with all mods.

therefore i dont drive it or have it insured - my cousin was insured on the car and had it Tax'd MOT'd etc.
he has now left the country and the tax and mot have run out on the car

WHAT do i do if i want to sell the number plate but as it might take some time to sell it. and the car has no tax or mot?

Ruth

RMS Regular
Could u not just put the registration on to a certificate for the time being and re register the car now?

Marty Lad

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
afaik car the plate is on now has to be Mot'd and taxed in order to transfer the reg from it, uncle had a similar problem a few years back and ended up scrappin the car and lettin the reg go with it as it was costing too much to mot the car

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
It can be out of tax and MOT for 6 months AFAIK.
Although if the last tax was canvelled early, it will have to be retaxed.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Yaris WRC said:
well the tax and mot ran out at end of december. so can i still move it to another car?
I rang Coleraine last year and thats what they told me, although nearly every time you ring you get a different answer!!!!! :x

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.