numberplate retention question

boringdave

RMS Regular
Drives
81 mini city
I bought a motorbike with a rather risky reg ( S5 RUC) and was hoping to put it onto retention but how do I get a new reg for the bike when I do that?
Is it a automatic process or do I need to pay for a new reg?.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Just pay the £80 to take that plate off the bike and they will auto assign a random plate to the bike in it’s place , then you take the new docs and your license and get the new plates made and stick them on

boringdave

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
81 mini city
Cheers for the very quick replys.
Happy days I shall get that done then tell the wife its going onto the car for a laugh.( she wants me to get rid of it)
Really I plan on putting it onto a new yet to be bought bike that I have yet to decide which nor does the wife know im looking but its ok I shall tell her when I buy something :grinning:

davyk31

RMS Regular
Why not sell it if you don’t want it. There should be some S5 drivers wiling to give you money.

Jonny

RMS Regular
Photos needed lol. Best NI related plate I’ve seen in ages.
remember looking at an Estroril E36 M3 on pistonheads years ago before I bought my clubsport and it was S?? DUP

must trawl photobucket and see if I have a pic saved of it lol

boringdave

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
81 mini city
71393291_10215896631636125_4056253340105834496_o reg.jpg

Peter T2

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
correct me if im wrong ........... but can you transfer a plate from a bike to a car. im not to sure if you can, i no you cant from a tractor to car ???????

Peter T2

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
you can.
How to transfer a private number plate to a motorbike
If the number plate that you want to transfer is already on a vehicle then you will have to complete a V317 form and submit it to the DVLA, along with documents for both vehicles that are involved in the transfer. You will also have to ensure that both vehicles are taxed and have a valid MOT so that the vehicles can be moved to be inspected by the DVLA if necessary. Along with this, you will have to make sure you pay the correct fees in order for the transfer to take place.
If the private number plate is not already on a vehicle and instead on a V778 Retention Document or V750 Certificate of Entitlement, you can then transfer the plate directly to your vehicle. When checking the certificate, if it is not in your name or you are not a named ‘nominee’ then you will have to change the nominee name, which is free of charge. You can check the costs and instructions for the transfer process on both certificates.
How to transfer a private number plate from a motorbike
If you’re wanting to transfer a private number plate from a motorbike to another vehicle then the same rules apply. You will have to process your application through the DVLA to remove the registration from your motorbike and onto a different vehicle. But, if you don’t have another vehicle to transfer the plate over to, whether that be because you’re saving it for a new vehicle or wanting to sell the plate at a later date then this is also possible. You will have to put your number plate on retention using a V778 Retention Document which lasts up to 10 years and can be renewed at no extra cost if you continue to keep your plate on retention.
If you want to sell the plate on the same rules apply. You can do so through auction sites, the DVLA or private selling sites such as NewReg.co.uk. Both parties will have to have the relevant documents available to send off to the DVLA in order to meet the legal requirements for the transfer.