Numberplates without issuer address

bill

Banned
Sitting behind a new car on Monday and noticed the number plate had no dealers address on the plate. It was not the cops I thought the law was it had to have the plates companies postcode and name.
If not where can I get plates done.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
I don't have the address on any of my plates, that's not to say they are legal, it's more that I don't believe the police are that strict about it.

Jonesy

RMS Regular
I ordered new plates off ebay and where sold as 100% uk legal. Came with nothing but the reg on them
This place asked for nothing at all in ways of proof . Just put the plate into a message box how you want displayed and thats it

Last edited:

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Anywhere that makes plates has the ability to leave it blank, try asking you local car accessories place to see if they’ll do it for you

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
This guy's leaves the address off. There is a very small bit of text in bottom corner you wouldn't notice.... Looks like British standards id or something for the plate plastic that's part of the manufacturing process.
You don't need to post off V5 or anything, a photo emailed does the job.

Prefer the look without the address!

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC

I thought it just needed the British Standard number but no mention of it there?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I'm pretty sure its a legal obligation to the suppliers and not of the vehicle owners

Strictly speaking it is illegal for them to supply plates without all the bull****, including checking V5 etc etc. Although there's bound to be a can of worms with giving out V5 details, which would have your address etc etc and GDPR.....exactly what are all these plate suppliers GDPR policies with regards this ? Most probably have none.

The whole law around plates is just nonsense, not a bit of wonder it's largely ignored.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
Is there anything on how a plate has to be attached to the vehicle. I have my bike plate attached by two strong magnets so that I can swap it easily and neatly at mot time.

eamon343

RMS Regular
The past few sets of plates I have got on ebay and didn't have the address on them or the BS mark. But I think they were listed as 'show plates' and 'not for road use'. Never been asked for a v5 or anything either

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Strictly speaking it is illegal for them to supply plates without all the bull****, including checking V5 etc etc. Although there's bound to be a can of worms with giving out V5 details, which would have your address etc etc and GDPR.....exactly what are all these plate suppliers GDPR policies with regards this ? Most probably have none.

The whole law around plates is just nonsense, not a bit of wonder it's largely ignored.
I'm pretty sure all they use is the 11 digit number form the V5, no personal data is recorded or held

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Some have taken a copy of my licence and V5 before.
I know now that I have a printer of my own, all that is required is the ref no, so the copies were not needed.

Bryan

RMS Regular
I got plates yesterday and I asked them to remove the store name and post code and it was no bother.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
all my plates would have no trace of bs stamps and or addresses, I think it is a simple case if it isn't ridiculous looking ie font size/style or size of the plate you will never get any hassle from police/mot although there is always that chance I suppose

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
I got a set of plates done locally last week for MOT. V5 shown, plates have zero markings on them other than reg obviously. Wasn't a issue.