Nurburgring crash

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
It's not a track, it was a public toll road that weekend "tourist driving day". Don't know where the 911 that dumped the coolant came from but most of the UK insurance companies have specifically named the ring as excluded in their policy cover. Hope he has valid insurance cover otherwise 13 other people could be coming after him personally. (my understanding of reading into this recently)

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
Just goes to show how quickly it can go very very very wrong, think I’ll stick to Gran Turismo hot laps :joy:

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
In this case I believe the Marshall left early from that point.

I also seen an incar vid from one of the members here who ended up right in the incident, he may post the video if he spots the thread @Cooper has seen it too I believe, thankfully he was smart enough to get him and his car right out of the way.

Crazy crazy crash!

This is the one I take it? Mental.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
It's not a track, it was a public toll road that weekend "tourist driving day". Don't know where the 911 that dumped the coolant came from but most of the UK insurance companies have specifically named the ring as excluded in their policy cover. Hope he has valid insurance cover otherwise 13 other people could be coming after him personally. (my understanding of reading into this recently)

German police will investigate as it's a public road. He may be charged and have to pay the costs etc.

Ouch, thats an expensive day out.
Surely though is gets very messy as yes the car(s) that directly crashed due to sliding on his coolant could possibly claim but some of the rest could be argued weren't paying attention to the road ahead ie would the evo claim from the 911 that started the change of events or the TT. Solicitors are the only winners there.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Ouch, thats an expensive day out.
Surely though is gets very messy as yes the car(s) that directly crashed due to sliding on his coolant could possibly claim but some of the rest could be argued weren't paying attention to the road ahead ie would the evo claim from the 911 that started the change of events or the TT. Solicitors are the only winners there.

I don't know how it would all pan out, but it'll probably be as messy as the actual crash. I was reading about insurance cover as there was a EU wide consultation happening a while ago suggesting that every single motor vehicle needed to have insurance. The impact on motorsport was being discussed which then led to me reading about The Ring. Seemingly it can be a tricky area, more so if you have standard UK cover. At the end of the day, on a UK road the person that runs in the back of you is automatically at fault. Not sure if that rule applies in Germany too.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
I don't understand why that Octavia stopped there? Unless it wasn't able to move? Driver of the Porsche in the video above did the right thing, get well past the crash. The driver in the OPs video should have tried to get past the crash too and then run back to warn people.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Saw this last night and gave me ultimate fear for everyone involved

I agree with a lot of the safety points that could be included eg flares, radio, lights etc...

But why on earth did people just stop dead - eg that skoda estate??? he didn't crash, just stopped in the middle and nearly got the Northern Irish Porsche smashed because he was blocking the only through bit of road.

Feel sorry for those that didn't crash into it but pulled over to the side to only get rear ended :worried:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
On somewhere like the ring where you are surrounded by barriers, blocked in front with people coming up behind you at big speeds, the only sensible course of action is to get past the accident and make sure you don't add to it by putting your car or yourself in a place that will get hit. By all means go back and help where you can but nobody is going to thank you for causing another accident. I loved the ring but I think I would only do it on an organised day now, too many people out there with a lack of basic knowledge. At least with an organised trackday, you have a driver's briefing to make sure people are told in no uncertain terms what not to do.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Going to the 'ring is on my bucket list and there was a slight chance of buying something in the next few weeks to go next year as a treat to myself for my 30th, but seeing how quick things can go tits up has made me question it

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Scary for all involved, looks like it was 3/4 corners before the diesel tree, and similar distance from the start.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Very true @Andy888 and I've watch many of them. But still makes you think

Not as exciting, but similar thing happened to me on the Westlink some years back. I sat still looking in my rearview mirror and braced myself for the bang but luckily the Toyota behind skidded sideways and stopped before touching my back bumper. I counted 10 subsequent bangs behind, as I moved forward with the line of stationary traffic which started to pull away again. Could happen anywhere.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Is their a safety briefing session before you drive the ring or just turn up and drive as hard as you want?...if there is one would it not be a good idea to advise people to drive on past the scene of the crash out of the way and then go back to check if necessary staying behind the barrier.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Lol. Yeah but I don' think there's several Porsches chasing you down at 100mph on the westlink @Andy888. I understand that crashes like that are few and far between. But as you can see it only takes a few seconds for you to be out a lot of pocket or far worse. It' still on the bucket list though

Nickyyy

RMS Regular
Drives
RS6 / DC2
Is their a safety briefing session before you drive the ring or just turn up and drive as hard as you want?...if there is one would it not be a good idea to advise people to drive on past the scene of the crash out of the way and then go back to check if necessary staying behind the barrier.

Nope. Show up, buy your card and away you go, think there's some instructions on your card IIRC

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Thats crazy given the amount of crashes over the years and the speed of some of the machinery around it.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.