Nurburgring crash

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
^ Exactly this. It is a great place / circuit but there are far too many variables with weather and muppets on the tourist days. Deffo would be more careful about going flat out during them. Having mixed groups of cars and bikes is another danger on tourist days. I nearly collected a bloke on a bike when he zipped in front of me just before a corner and dropped anchor with not enough room for me to do anything but try and push the brake pedal through the bulkhead. Nuts.

Marc

RMS Moderator
I have done both Trackdays and Tourist days, and if you are doing 25+ laps on a day the Trackdays are great value and I found less crashes were happening on the Trackdays.

Dan.86

RMS Regular
I was told by a colleague, in Germany they will do everything they can to advise and warn the general public of a hazard and how to avoid it by way of instruction and signage (in the case of construction works on a footpath for instance). If a member of the public has an accident they are liable themselves because all reasonable precautions were taken by the other party. If this is true, I wonder if it could relate to the Ring (during the public times anyway?)

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
HO LE F***.

Mental but wouldn't out me off. Wouldn't take my own car, I'd rent out a Swift Sport over there instead. At least I've plenty of practice driving one of those!(y)

Saying that, I've seen the price list for recovery and repairs if things go tits up.8o|

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I don't understand why that Octavia stopped there? Unless it wasn't able to move? Driver of the Porsche in the video above did the right thing, get well past the crash. The driver in the OPs video should have tried to get past the crash too and then run back to warn people.
Looks like the octavia has had frontal impact and is sitting on top of the NS wheel, as such grounded to a halt

Cannot believe how lucky Nigel was in getting out of the way just seconds before his spanking new GTS could have been headed to the crusher :eek:

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Source - Porsche Centre Belfast

22555755_1631972263534207_5174751372003370108_o.jpg

22555812_1631972353534198_8017058403166224927_o.jpg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155

Even if you have a wee tap of the walls, it's still horribly expensive to pay for the lost time and the time it takes to fix the barriers

Very true. The CTR in that video only ran up on the inside kerb with probably a bit of braking which was enough to tip him over. A lot of people forget that you are cornering at much higher speeds / forces than you ever would on the road. A quick look at the tyres after a reasonable track session will show that.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Looks like the octavia has had frontal impact and is sitting on top of the NS wheel, as such grounded to a halt

Cannot believe how lucky Nigel was in getting out of the way just seconds before his spanking new GTS could have been headed to the crusher :eek:

No the Octavia rolled slowly up to the incident and then seemed to park there. In the original video in the first post you can see the Octavia with no damage slow down in time, drive past the guy with the helmet cam, and then the next time he looks down the road you can see it stopped. Bizarre.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
No the Octavia rolled slowly up to the incident and then seemed to park there. In the original video in the first post you can see the Octavia with no damage slow down in time, drive past the guy with the helmet cam, and then the next time he looks down the road you can see it stopped. Bizarre.
Octavia looks to have damage on nsf which would explain that

Paddy_R

RMS Regular

DavidY

RMS Regular
Drives
his wife mad.
OP's vid is just insane. That's one of the worst crashes I've heard of at the ring.

I came off the track a lap before the events of the vid below. Funnily enough I didn't know it had happened and went straight round to this viewing spot to start spectating just as the track was closed.
The guy in the white BMW that dropped its coolant was held accountable for the damage to all the other cars and the track, which included an hour of washing the track down with the machinery etc...

When I went, I took out insurance cover specifically for going on the nurburgring tourist day. It cost me £218 for the day but that gave me third party cover for other vehicles damaged and for track damage.Think i was covered for £1mil worth in total. However, my car was not covered at all. I struggled to find an insurance company that would cover my own vehicle on the nurburgring. Most only offer third party liability with the disclaimer that your vehicle is not covered whilst on track and you accept the risk etc. You just have to hope that you don't crash, or drive accordingly so you shouldn't crash at least, or you can hope that the driver that hits you has insurance that covers you. (Subject to it being his fault of course!)

I have a couple of videos of me taking the 335d around the ring, including scaring the crap out of my brother at about 130-140mph, (Also 160mph on the Autobahn too) but my car had major brake overheating issues and that caused warped discs so the laps are only about 60% pace here and there. I don't know how to edit them too well and reduce the size for uploading etc but if you are interested and know then get in touch.

DavidY

RMS Regular
Drives
his wife mad.
Last week!!!! That's some numpty driving to get into that state at that location.........

DavidY

RMS Regular
Drives
his wife mad.
Yeah i guess so. It looks like he is well into the crash before that fast left hander at the top of the hill so highly likely he has lifted off or hit the brakes at the point where the suspension would be rebounding out the foxhole. Just ludicrous.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.