Nurburgring

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

SRS_26

RMS Member
Drives
BMW M3
Anybody any trips planned to the nurburgring this year? Just wondering if there's any convoys heading from over here, rather than just heading myself for the first time.

SRS_26

RMS Member
OP
SRS_26
Drives
BMW M3
Was thinking of going in May or September, I take it July/August can be quite busy there? Also more expensive by looks of it. Was considering going to the Belgium Grand Prix in August, but the chance to drive Spa would be better. Never thought about stopping at it on the way back. Have you had previous experience with Spa track days? Worth looking into I think!

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Was thinking of going in May or September, I take it July/August can be quite busy there? Also more expensive by looks of it. Was considering going to the Belgium Grand Prix in August, but the chance to drive Spa would be better. Never thought about stopping at it on the way back. Have you had previous experience with Spa track days? Worth looking into I think!

Haven’t been in July / August time. The times I’ve been have been beginning and end of September. The last time we went it was packed all day, plenty of incidents too. I only done a few laps as I had the Renaultsport track day at Spa on the Monday. Circuit Days is who I am doing Spa with this year. Unbelieveable track and certainly worth a visit.

SRS_26

RMS Member
OP
SRS_26
Drives
BMW M3
How lucky have you been with the weather in September? Would be nice if it was busy too, to see all the different machinery at it. The 'incidents' would scare me! Id love to do Spa. 350 for the day, decisions - F1 weekend or track day! How many cars would normally be at likes of that?

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
I was last at the Ring in september 2016 and the weather was awesome, mid to high 20s if I remember right. Spa was very similar also weather wise.

The RS day had around 70/80 cars I think. All split into groups depending on experience. Can’t comment on a Circuit Days track day but I’m sure some of the other guys can.

SRS_26

RMS Member
OP
SRS_26
Drives
BMW M3
Would be happy with weather like that. Was for leaving it til September to give friends who'd possibly wanna go more time to save for it but if none of them show interest I might go in May/June. Would love to do a proper track day like that too. Time to start getting the car prepped for it now

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
Unsure yet, May or September. I probably wont take the Subaru but the a4 may go its 4wd and stil 260odd bhp. like yourself none of my mates are showing interest so i was actually considering going on my own it doesn't bother me. What route are all thinking of getting there?

SRS_26

RMS Member
OP
SRS_26
Drives
BMW M3
Why not take the Subaru?
Alot of my mates aren't really into cars, so was just seeing if there was any groups heading over sometime.

Was looking at larne - cairnryan then Hull - Rotterdam, like the idea of leaving in morning and at the 'ring for 1ish the next day. 2 ferries , 8hrs driving there abouts.

Or down to Dublin hop on the ferry to Cherbourg and 8hrs drive across top of France to get there. Price for that ferry is very cheap in September, and I like the idea of time saved getting 1 ferry. Only thing is ferry leaves about 4pm and gets there at 11am so be night time when you reach nurburgring. But spose good night's sleep and up and at it next morning.
Haven't decided just yet. What had you planned?

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
I’ll be driving to Dublin then ferry from Dublin to Holyhead, meet a friend in London and then onto Folkestone to take the tunnel across.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Been to Spa for f1 and it's an amazing track. Would love to the ring but don't know if I would have the balls to do it justice. It's a long drive home.....

Just out of curiosity how much (approx) is your route costing @Eddie_

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
I've been there over a weekend the last two Septembers. We had one dry weekend and one wet one.

The 2nd weekend in September is also DTM weekend at the GP track so the Nordschleife can be really busy/mental/more accidents, however the atmosphere and variety of cars that turn up is fantastic. There's usually Porsche racing at Spa that weekend too. Holland to Germany is the route I'd really recommend. Road trips are great craic but for a Ring weekend I think it's better to do as little driving to actually get there you so you don't arrive knackered.

Hull-Rotterdam is a decent ferry but we all found the A1 to Hull to be really dull, especially as there were roadworks on most of it when we went and 50mph average speed cameras the whole way.

We did Newcastle-Amsterdam last year. A wee bit of a longer sailing and a wee bit dearer, but you don't have the extra drive down England or the extra fuel stop, so it kind of evens itself out.

The Hull ferry itself is maybe a bit nicer though and alot easier for low cars to board and disembark from.

Also there are no road tolls from Holland to Germany. There might be a few travelling across France, so might be something to consider as well as extra fuel/time etc.

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Been to Spa for f1 and it's an amazing track. Would love to the ring but don't know if I would have the balls to do it justice. It's a long drive home.....

Just out of curiosity how much (approx) is your route costing @Eddie_

I booked the Dublin - Holyhead ferry at the beginning of January and got 25% discount off the route so it was about £160 return. The Euro Tunnel is just use Tesco club card vouchers to cover it as they are worth triple their value.

Marc C

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 325i Touring
Something I’ve always wanted to do but never even knew where to start with organising it. Will definitely get a read at that guide @Cooper

SRS_26

RMS Member
OP
SRS_26
Drives
BMW M3
Does Spa do 'open to the public' days or do you have to book a track day?
If I don't do Spa I will probably go there for F1.
I like the sound of the Newcastle to Amsterdam ferry, like the sound of as little driving as possible, and like the sound of DTM weekend as long as the ring was open mid week to avoid a busy weekend.

Cooper your ring guide made me sign up to ask the question! Good read!

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
If you're only going over for the tourist drives rather than organised track days the ring is very rarely open all day during the week. Even on a Friday it'll usually not open until after 5pm.

The calendar for opening times are here Green Hell Driving - Nürburgring

Last edited:

SRS_26

RMS Member
OP
SRS_26
Drives
BMW M3
Ah yeah, I see. Could've swore it was open mid week start of Sept. Would be tempted to go the DTM weekend tbh.
I take it track days are held on the GP track? I see it's very rarely open to public.
I would rather do track days in a more track focused car. The M3 is my dd, but hoping to maybe buy another project car in a few years time to do up and have as a toy. Boosted e36 maybe.. we'll see!

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Circuit Days do an open pit lane on the Nordschleife also which would be awesome, they are £499 and operate as an open pit lane format.

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
its getting a 'project' car there. something better for track could be an absolute bollox on the road getting there. I would love and i am thinking about Mt. Panorama next year for the 12hr.

To be honest I would look forward to the roadtrip and scenery as much as the ring itself and i am more tempted by spa.

SRS_26

RMS Member
OP
SRS_26
Drives
BMW M3
Circuit Days do an open pit lane on the Nordschleife also which would be awesome, they are £499 and operate as an open pit lane format.

I'd be interested in the Spa one mate, but maybe road trip this year and Spa track day next year.

its getting a 'project' car there. something better for track could be an absolute bollox on the road getting there. I would love and i am thinking about Mt. Panorama next year for the 12hr.

To be honest I would look forward to the roadtrip and scenery as much as the ring itself and i am more tempted by spa.
It would be road worthy like. Maybe get a few test miles put on it in coalisland by that time lol .
I've done a bit of driving round Wales which was lovely and scenic, but motorway driving round England I'll pass on. I like to get where I'm going.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.