Octane Booster , anyone use it ?

Neil_M

RMS Regular
I had my JDM Impreza mapped by Andy Forrest for BP Ultimate. It made great power and was totally stable.

Until I had it mapped I ran it on the NF Octane Booster, mentioned above.

After mapping I did run the car on NF Booster on max dilution every now and then too. I would suggest doing that for peace of mind until you do get to mapping the car.

IMHO map the car based on what fuel you can easily get. That's more peace of mind than anything. Exactly the reason I went for BP Ultimate.

The NF booster actually coats the combustion chamber in a browny material. It can stain plugs and oil etc, so it can alarm some people. Regular servicing should keep any issues at bay.

I personally would let your tuner or desired mapped give you a steer. That's what I did.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I have used the NF before but always been unsure of how much to put in to get that extra 2 RON.

Was under the impression to put in 1ml per litre but never knew how much RON that would give.

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
i have been reading a bit and it would seam (correct me if you think i am wrong )

one 300ml bottle of 6 ron additive to 60Ltrs of 97ron would give you a total off 103 ? bringing the fuel up 6 ron points ?

so if you only wanted to bring it up 2ron points you would only use 100ml for 60Ltrs of 97ron i think will give you a total off 99 ron

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I’ve one bottle left so will put in 150ml to 60L for an extra 3 Ron and run the 98/99ron map option

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Don't forget lads that the 97 we get at the pump has more than likely already been treated with some kind of octane booster anyway

I was speaking with a topaz fuel driver and asked what way the fuel got sent to the north, he confirmed that 95 is 95, and there's a fuel pack stuck in the tanker for 97/super

I don't think any companies actually bother to bring different types of fuel over here, so it's probable that all super brands do the same.

Might work out cheaper to get 95 and appropriately boost it to 99 with some high quality booster yourselves if you cba!

K55

RMS Regular
So where does one get a few bottles of NF locally (bar Ali Burrows)? ...

I assume there's no other octane booster worth bothering with?

Neil_M

RMS Regular
So where does one get a few bottles of NF locally (bar Ali Burrows)? ...

I assume there's no other octane booster worth bothering with?

I bought it in bulk online... RCM, and Advanced Automotive (from memory) are worth a look. It's the only way to buy it without getting stung for postage and still at a reasonable price.

Reactions: K55

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Used millers before but no real difference. Motorsport and spares do it

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Is this not an extremely expensive way of upping the fuel .i know it’s the only way though .

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I wouldn't fancy doing it on something that does a lot of miles at the price per bottle. It doesn't matter to me with the Impreza as it only comes out to play the odd time.

jonny.92

RMS Regular
My mk2 leon Cupra was mapped for 99Ron in UK before I bought it. When I brought it back to NI, I brimmed it with BP Ultimate and took it up to AutoTune for a RR/diagnostics run.

They said there was nothing worrying in the logs at all after ~5 pulls on the dyno, and the ECU was barely pulling 1 degree of timing which would equate to nothing on the road. It's not like I'd be doing 5th gear pulls 20 times a day. It made within 3bhp on 97 of what it had made on 99.

I was told so long as the tuner hasn't mapped out the knock sensor etc., the ECU will have no problem compensating for 97Ron fuel. I ran Ultimate for my entire ownership and never had any issues, however I didn't ever chance 95Ron just in case.

I read into octane boosters at the start but didn't like the idea of the long term effects with residue in the combustion chamber, plus the cost would add up rightly on a daily driver.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
I used NF or Silkolene Proboost back in the day in my S14/R33. Found that the petrol station used had a greater effect on max knock than anything else.

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Have started to use octane boosters so went with NF as recommended above. Was going to buy front Ali Burrows but he isn’t handy for me and postage was £9 for a couple of bottles 🥴.

Ended up buying from Cam Auto Developments, £29.99 for both bottles and I queried why NI shipping was £4.95 when the advertise free UK shipping so they are refunding the shipping charge. Also threw in a free packet of Haribo 😆

Great service, ordered Saturday and arrived today!

3DC69CAC-CE33-4B02-8824-18D8977077F6.jpeg

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
Have started to use octane boosters so went with NF as recommended above. Was going to buy front Ali Burrows but he isn’t handy for me and postage was £9 for a couple of bottles 🥴.

Ended up buying from Cam Auto Developments, £29.99 for both bottles and I queried why NI shipping was £4.95 when the advertise free UK shipping so they are refunding the shipping charge. Also threw in a free packet of Haribo 😆

Great service, ordered Saturday and arrived today!

View attachment 249250

that’s who i bought off even with the postage

gave the haribo to the wee one lol

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
My only experience is from having the euro R mapped down south by AP racing and we ran out of the SUL I brought down during mapping, he swears by VP Racings madditive , it's expensive but though he recommends it for most applications were lower fuel grades are being used - I had to run 95 home so banged a bottle of that in. I'm no scientist so can only pass on as a recommendation from him.

PhilM

RMS Regular
find somewhere that sells toluene.

buy some -mix it 10% with your normal fuel.

chill until your remap.

Likely the cheapest way.

personally id get the bits fitted and mapped asap and piddle about in the meantime.

Phil

Last edited:

KillerJim

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 / TVR
Only ever used it when the Sagaris was running hot before I got a pin hole in the radiator fixed (it would noticeably pink at low RPM when super hot)

imho there's little real world use for it; unless you want to map yourself into the requirement.. or your ECU doesn't detect detonation and retard the timing (i.e. all TVRs)

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
I used it on my turbo ep3, it did foul a lot of my plugs so was buying plugs quite often.

Switched it Methonal mix and never looked back. If anyone can I’d highly recommend going that route.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Is meth easy to get over here? I thought u had to have a license for it or it couldn’t be sent from the ok or something, can’t remember now.

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
Is meth easy to get over here? I thought u had to have a license for it or it couldn’t be sent from the ok or something, can’t remember now.

I get it over here no problem, can be ordered from England as well without issue.