Octane Booster , anyone use it ?

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Who sells it here? Thinking of running 10% meth in the impreza when I get it mapped as don’t drive it often

Gambit

RMS Regular
Who sells it here? Thinking of running 10% meth in the impreza when I get it mapped as don’t drive it often

Is it really worth the hassle? In grand scheme of things the pub talk BhP figure is gonna be a lot less than most of todays hot hatches but you're about 500kg lighter :laughing:

I'd just map it on sul and enjoy not having to measure ml's of meth or go looking octane booster

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Was thinking just if meth was handier to buy than running an octane booster. It might be overkill but I like to have a safety margin in terms of octane rating given the quality of fuel here and scoobs don’t like to run lean. I’ll discuss with the mapper though.I do little miles so throwing a gallon of meth in now and again is no prob if it’s easily obtained.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
If you mix methanol in the petrol you have to inject more fuel, as stoich for meth is a good bit lower.

It's better used in smaller amounts via indirect injection to help lower egt's and let the likes of toluene take up the octane slack.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
If you mix methanol in the petrol you have to inject more fuel, as stoich for meth is a good bit lower.

It's better used in smaller amounts via indirect injection to help lower egt's and let the likes of toluene take up the octane slack.

I see what you mean Mark, some of the Subaru boys run meth injection but it’s near guaranteed to be a gearbox breaker, the earlier 5 speeds don’t like to have more than about 350lb/ft so most end up going newage 6 speed but I’d want to keep the RA 5 speed with the short ratios

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If the car is tuned to run meth in the tank....you must always run that mix of meth in the tank.

For a road car it is dumb...unless you carry large quantities of meth around with you all the time, or rarely drive the car any actual distance that you might need to fill up.

And it is daft to suggest meth injection breaks gearboxes. If you cant break a Subaru 5 speed on regular pump fuel...you're doing it wrong lol.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I haven’t broke a gearbox yet in owning 6 Subaru’s one of which was 340bhp and on a standard turbo 2000 box.....I don’t drive like a **** though

PhilM

RMS Regular
I haven’t broke a gearbox yet in owning 6 Subaru’s one of which was 340bhp and on a standard turbo 2000 box.....I don’t drive like a **** though

Think stevie just means that driving style aside a 5speed can be broken through sheer power on 97sul with the right thing bolted to the exhaust manifold.

And despite knowing very little about the Subaru world id still feel safe assuming that is indeed a fact otherwise mr stevieturbo wouldn’t have said it.

Tbh I can’t mind if we are answering the original posters query from yonks ago or just the more recent comments but if it’s to drive any distance on the road it’ll be handier just getting it mapped safe on 97 than starting to fart about with fuel.

Phil

JH86

RMS Regular
So octane booster makes it 2 above?

Nobodys stated the fact that its. 2 not 2?

And the whole ecu will run on dog water regardless of octane/timing?

Just me? OK carry on with your expensive additive

PhilM

RMS Regular
So octane booster makes it 2 above?

Nobodys stated the fact that its. 2 not 2?

And the whole ecu will run on dog water regardless of octane/timing?

Just me? OK carry on with your expensive additive

Think from testing it’s been proven to be neither .2 or 2. Virtually a scam imo. (See link I posted previously for the test)

Phil

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
ok so after using that nf octane booster for 200 miles this is what my plugs looked like yesterday when i got home from cars and coffee
74E5F5B9-EF41-4057-87E4-1AF7BB15A388.jpeg

all four looked like this

Last edited:

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Some test results from the past.

As said I only use it because my impreza is a jap import and running a full decat. 1 bottle lasts me months at 3ml per litre of super so it’s no issue cost wise and I’ve not had any problems with the engine for years, apparently the orange deposit is normal if using an OB or additive, provided it’s not misfiring personally I wouldn’t worry about

Last edited:

Mark_C

RMS Regular
The deposits are probably manganese from the mtbe that is generally in the bottle boosters. It's really effective at its job but does coat the plugs etc.

Mtbe, etbe and toluene are all used the world over by fuel manufacturers as additives to petrol to boost octane

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
she drove fine actually felt less aggressive than super only

plugs 2 weeks ago where white

4 weeks ago brand new

Sinewman87

Drives
M3
I have about 60L of Meth if anyone wants it cheap?

I ordered it with the intention of fitting Meth injection but won’t bother fitting it now

StephenDc2

RMS Regular
I have a 25L drum of Panta-XS 118.OCTANE race fuel if anyone wants something that will actually work, Panta at 25% mix with pump fuel should provide a clean 100-102 octane

Ideal for race and track cars or road cars that only get weekend use

The 25L drum has 20L remaining so will give 100L of fuel when mixed 5L to 15L pump fuel

I have been down the whole octane booster route in the past, no noticeable gains and heavy deposits on the plugs. The race fuel mix is imo the easiest and safest way to do it

I calculated the mixed fuel to cost £2 per liter

chopaholic

RMS Regular
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
A bump for this.

My car is mapped on 99 RON which is nice and easy to get here in England, but I will be visiting home for a few weeks soon and will likely put 4/5 65 litre tanks of fuel through the car.

Has anyone got experience on Lucas Oil Octane Booster? 4 x Lucas Oil Octane Booster Fuel Additive 15oz | eBay

Or what is the best value for money considering the 4/5 fills.

Thanks

EDIT:

Just read some more about this NF Octane Booster, seems to be the way to go.

Last edited:

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra

Good stuff there, would feel safer using torco than anything else.

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
Just confirming I used NF Octane booster when I ran out of fuel at Kirky in my old FSTi. Had an Android head unit running at the time with "BTSSM" and even using the crap 95 fuel from the local fuel store and throwing in a bit of NF Octane booster the computer didn't record any knocks. That said it was mapped for 97 fuel and not mapped to the edge of its life so it may not have knocked without the NF Octane booster. What I will say is it didn't cause any knock that the computer detected so it either raised the octane enough or I lucked out and the map was handy enough to run the 95 without issue. Did another two sessions at the time with the tank of 95 and NF booster in it. I got mine from Ebay using Click and Collect from Argos as I believe they bring lorries over on boats and don't actually fly their stuff over from mainland.