Octavia door won't open

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Bryan

RMS Regular
This is a bit of a strange one. The passenger rear door on my Octavia has stopped opening all of a sudden today. I think the central locking motor has packed in preventing the door from opening however the child lock is also on to prevent my son from opening it so it will not open from the interior door handle either.

Anyone have any ideas??

Mark_D

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 90 XS
It's a common problem, try locking and unlocking the car lots of times, pushing against the door at the same time. The lock disengages the handles and some times they stick. A bit of gentle banging may help.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
There is a little micro switch that shats itself. Can be repaired once you take it apart. Opened mine the other week with a crowbar. No joke.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
I had a better look at it today - was able to remove the interior door panel after removing the seat base. Once that was off though this is what I was left with. All the rivets had to be drilled out to remove that panel and the window motor had to come off as well!

After all that I was able to get the door open. The bowden cable had disconnected itself from the handle. I don't have a long torx screwdriver though so I was unable to get the handle off to see if it is actually broken or what.

The locking motor seems to be working fine though.

Attachments

• Octavia Door Panel.jpg
    Octavia Door Panel.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 7,202

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Those cables have a plastic part with a serrated edge on them that fits into the handle section IIRC. They are just an interference fit, so it may have just popped out?

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
My drivers door started playing up the other day with the remote central locking. Always locking, but not always unlocking. When I did a bit of research I realised that my headlight buzzer and drivers puddle light also weren't working, which is connected to the same door mechanism.

I thought about soldering it, but ended up ordering a full mechanism pattern part from ebay for £40. It just arrived today, so I still have to get it fitted.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Good luck... if it's anything like the back doors it'll be a right pain in the ass!!

Ge0rge

Banned
Just got an 08 skoda and the drivers door will not open, I've only had it a day and I'm fed up already climbing in and out the passenger side. I'm guessing this is a common fault though I only got it so don't know the full story, it's too late the night to get at so it would be nice to go out in the morning armed with some knowledge of previous experience before I let rip with the grinder to the inside of the door.

Ge0rge

Banned
Was gonna tackle this today, anyone any tips/advice about getting the door card off inside the drivers door without opening it? Or is it a case of just ripping it to bits and gettin a new door card?

Ge0rge

Banned
Tried that link cheers, il leave it for today then just rip it off tomorrow one way or the other tomorrow when I have more time.

Ge0rge

Banned
Right well I used these to ever so gently pry the door card apart.......

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Then.....

image.jpeg

And finally got to the lock, I just pushed up the Wee bit of plastic I'm pointing too while pulling at the door cable and it opened, also the door seems to be working fine now locks and unlocks and opens with the handle.

image.jpeg

And now left with this

image.jpeg

So now has anyone any idea what might be up with the window I really need it up to get the car cleaned, none of the switches on the drivers side work (Windows and mirrors) work but the electric window on the passenger side works fine from passenger side switch but not the drivers side, I've tried the rubber boot between door and body and the wires seem fine, I've checked all fuses at the side of the dash and they seem fine....

Ge0rge

Banned
Also the carpet is wet in places like passenge side dont know if that's maybe related going by some Google results ?

Ge0rge

Banned
I'm not sure, I'm gonna check later, you thinkin maybe the switch is faulty? I was thinkin maybe the wiring was damaged somewhere but can't see any visible damage

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
switch would be my first port of call, but you would need to make sure theres power going into the switch.

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
do they not tail off the one switch though? if the switch is mullered testing for power into it will let you identify that.

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
Have you pulled the multiplug off the window regulator? They have a habit of corroding causing all sorts of issues...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.