Oil Catch Can Options

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Any recommendations for an oil catch can for a Mk2 VW Golf GTI 16v? Don't want to spend huge amounts or have a show car - just want it to work and look tidy in the engine bay.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
I'm actually in the same boat for her 16v Jetta. I've been told everything from cheap and cheerful is all you need to you need an all singing all dancing one with baffles etc and duno what way to go

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Irwin
Drives
Various Golf
I'm actually in the same boat for her 16v Jetta. I've been told everything from cheap and cheerful is all you need to you need an all singing all dancing one with baffles etc and duno what way to go
Yeah, thinking that the middle ground is the way to go; they are not rocket science in how they work so should not have to spend a fortune for an analogue solution!
I might have one in the shed, 2 bottles of angry orchard would lift if it suited your needs. I will have a look later and fire a picture up.
Thanks - appreciate that and will take you up on offer.

adzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Glanza V
Cheap ebay one in mine for years, with no issues

A5666FD3-771C-46FF-B3A2-BA19EFC7C254.png

Gambit

RMS Regular
@Mark Irwin is it blowing heavy? I was told not to run a 16v higher than halfway on the dipstick.

Mine just vents to atmosphere and blocked the inlet on the airbox for it. You have the wee airshroud also on the inlet that T's of the breather pipe also

DJMCA

RMS Regular
As above, cheap and chearful does the job. Although im led to believe that for MOT they dont like it breathing to atmosphere, needs to be closed circuit or recirculating 🤷‍♂️

Ive a fancy baileys on on the show car and an ebay special on the daily, both do the same job tbh

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Irwin
Drives
Various Golf
@Mark Irwin is it blowing heavy? I was told not to run a 16v higher than halfway on the dipstick.

Mine just vents to atmosphere and blocked the inlet on the airbox for it. You have the wee airshroud also on the inlet that T's of the breather pipe also
Usual gunk in the airbox and remember Eddie telling me that they all did that - thought it would be tidier to have something catching it Craig!

Gambit

RMS Regular
Usual gunk in the airbox and remember Eddie telling me that they all did that - thought it would be tidier to have something catching it Craig!

You could probably get one of the small catch cans and mount it behind your airbox - with yours being the early 16v there is a bit more room in that area

300ml two port of ebay is all you'll need then just vent one with a wee k&n. Itll never fill it. Worth cleaning out breather pipe also as there is a metal gauze/mess halfway down it thatll be soaked in oil residue if you've never cleaned it out before.

Mine doesnt blow that much which is why it doesnt bother me, it just tucked behind airbox

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Irwin
Drives
Various Golf
No panic, give me a shout when you get sorted and I can head down that way.