Once common cars that you don't see anymore

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
As title - what have you spotted recently in daily use that you thought to yourself "haven't seen one of those in a while!"

Few recent spots for me were MK1 Laguna, Renault 5, campus, Datsun Cherry, Audi 100 estate and this... A standard SRI Cavalier on the original hubcaps. Tremendous.

Apologies for the crap pictures!

IMG_20190911_175352060.jpg
IMG_20190911_175353731_HDR.jpg

So... Let's see those pics :grinning:

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
I followed a Rover 820i fastback at the weekend. I remember my father testing a green one and picking me up from school in it, I felt like a prince, esp as his usual weapon was a diesel maestro. He never did buy it.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
There's a class Mk1 Laguna sits outside old Toys R Us at Sprucefield with what looks like Superturismos and an exhaust.

Hadn't seen one in ages and thought I'd actually drive that daily if I had one. Comfy seats in them an all!

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Seen a very clean (from afar it has to be said) mk2 Astra gte (?) In the port a few weekends ago.

Not many 306s, saxos, 106s when they used to be around every corner

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Pug 406’s

Used to see them all the time and hardly ever see them now

Also vectras - used to see them all the time and rarely do I spot one nowadays

Bryan

RMS Regular
Citroen Xantia - can't remember the last time I saw one of those. Mk1/Mk2 Renault Clios have all but disappeared (with the exception of the hot hatch versions).

Which begs the question - where do they all go? Do they all make their way to Clearways/T-met at some point?

bill

Banned
The car scheme killed a load of over 10 year old cars sad theres a video on youtube with cars on a old air field just rotting away mk 1 golf gti sad.
old cars

Bryan

RMS Regular
Can't believe how many cars are still there. I thought it had all been cleared out. In the video I saw an american F450 4 door crew cab, couple of Jeep Wranglers and Mercedes G-wagon I'd love to get my hands on.

Crying out to be JP29...

1568278570300.png

1568278670519.png

vezna

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Saw a B3 Audi 80 recently. Looked sort of cool having not saw that shape in so long.

Reactions: Ben

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
They were never that common but I was using the 155 daily in Derby for 4 years up until last year. Used to get loads of people commenting on it at petrol stations or when you parked it up at work or the shops. Loved running it.
I've seen that Laguna at sprucefield too, class. A good mate still runs his 155 here to commute to gilford when it's too wet or cold for the bike.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Can't believe how many cars are still there. I thought it had all been cleared out. In the video I saw an american F450 4 door crew cab, couple of Jeep Wranglers and Mercedes G-wagon I'd love to get my hands on.

Crying out to be JP29...

View attachment 250256

View attachment 250258

It just goes to show that the government do not give one **** about the environment (not that we really needed reminding) aside from the taxes they can cream off.
Think of the energy/ CO2 emissions required to make the cars that replace those in your picture. I'm pretty sure that despite their poor emissions we would still be "environmentally quids in" if that lot were still maintained and on the road. All to prop up a dying UK car industry.

simy

RMS Regular
Regularly see a white Merc 300 estate on my commute, such a simple clean car, very cool.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I saw a Toyota Picnic recently. Used to be common, although very forgettable to be fair.