Once common cars that you don't see anymore

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Were those old soviet vehicles not basically engineered to be flogged over terrible roads in terrible conditions with the absolute barest maintenance without breaking or if they did break be fixable with twine a hammer and a screw driver.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
A Rusky version of the Defender built for about £300. Had a 1.7 litre petrol engine that felt like it had been lifted out of a ride on lawnmower and driving it was about as comfortable as falling down a flight of concrete steps. The one I drove was maybe 2 or 3 years old at the time, rusting and completely worthless. It reminded me of a kit car someone knocked together in their shed using bits of old Cortinas. Kinda cool and old school but at the same time very possible it was going to stop moving or just fall to pieces at any moment.

It was bought for lifting boats out of the water and for shunting trailers around and tbh it did that fairly well.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
There's one in a back garden of a house that backs onto the Holywood bypass, first house after the rugby ground, its been there as long as I can remember, ealry 2000s!

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
The Cossacks were very good offroad but really thirsty on petrol for the size of them. They still have a bit of a cult following.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Not exactly common esp on NIs roads but you certainly don't see them everyday..

IMG_20210325_111857~2.jpg

IMG_20210325_111828~2.jpg

Spotted in Portaferry this morning.

vtec1

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus st
This advert is basically what happened in real life unfortunately. I was speaking to a vehicle inspector from the DVA who attended a crash outside Lisburn years ago where a white Corsa B SRi hit a hump in the road, the cut rear springs fell out under full extension and when she landed both rear wheels locked solid against the arches causing an inevitable crash killing 4 young fellas on board. The driver survived.
View attachment 314417
Was this the one in the ballyhill road. 4 from lisburn?
Edit see it's been answered

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The Dutch love all that old Detroit steel, nice rust free imports at the local classic car traders there. Not cheap!

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Last edited:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Talbot Solara

Metro, looks be be an N.I car, TIJ reg

had a wee metro almost identical to that.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Looks like an original NI car too, TiJ reg. Wonder are those metric tyres still available?

Mine was on a XI plate. The tyres aren’t available and the ones on mine were 30 year old remoulds so needless to say a set of mini lites went on with 12in tyres lol. The metrics were in surprisingly good shape and went with the car.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Mine was on a XI plate. The tyres aren’t available and the ones on mine were 30 year old remoulds so needless to say a set of mini lites went on with 12in tyres lol. The metrics were in surprisingly good shape and went with the car.
Yeah was going to say the Rover Mini minilites should be plentiful, mustn't have been that long ago that you had one then!

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
sold it last July. It had about 14k on it
Quality! When you'd mentioned a Metro before had assumed it was a back in the day car. Good to know that a few have survived! My older bothers and sister had a few between them in the 90s.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Quality! When you'd mentioned a Metro before had assumed it was a back in the day car. Good to know that a few have survived! My older bothers and sister had a few between them in the 90s.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Class just had a read through, did you buy a HXI plate for it after it was PLZ or how did you get it?
Driving them was an acquired taste, I remember being very disappointed with the MG he had when I took it a spin (sadly scrapped due to lack of space in 2002, and was a really solid one) just didn't like the driving position at all.
Still love to see them :cool:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Class just had a read through, did you buy a HXI plate for it after it was PLZ or how did you get it?
Driving them was an acquired taste, I remember being very disappointed with the MG he had when I took it a spin (sadly scrapped due to lack of space in 2002, and was a really solid one) just didn't like the driving position at all.
Still love to see them :cool:

I wrote to DVLA saying that the PLZ plate wasn’t original and if there was any chance they could find out what the original plate was and apply it. Amazingly a few weeks later a letter arrived with a new V5.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
I wrote to DVLA saying that the PLZ plate wasn’t original and if there was any chance they could find out what the original plate was and apply it. Amazingly a few weeks later a letter arrived with a new V5.
That's crazy, they don't normally do that, unless if had a GB or ROI plate then came back here. Bro has an 86 car that had the original plate removed as it was 2 digit and re reg'd in 2004ish. Think we checked and original plate isn't on a car. Be cool if that worked for his!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
That's crazy, they don't normally do that, unless if had a GB or ROI plate then came back here. Bro has an 86 car that had the original plate removed as it was 2 digit and re reg'd in 2004ish. Think we checked and original plate isn't on a car. Be cool if that worked for his!

I asked nicely, stuck a bit of history in the letter and a few photos. Hand written. There’s a way to ask for these things lol