Only 6 months car insurance required. Pay monthly and cancel?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Pretty much as above, we are emigrating to Canada come August and both cars will be going before then. The insurance is up on one. I've 10+ years ncb so not fussed on paying half a years insurance to earn another. Can I pay monthly for the policy and just bin it in August? Or would that affect my credit rating etc?
Cheers

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
There'll be a cancellation fee. As long as you pay the cancellation fee then I don't see how credit ratings or anything will be hit

Enjoy Canada you lucky swine. What a place!

Ge0rge

Banned
Pretty much as above, we are emigrating to Canada come August and both cars will be going before then. The insurance is up on one. I've 10+ years ncb so not fussed on paying half a years insurance to earn another. Can I pay monthly for the policy and just bin it in August? Or would that affect my credit rating etc?
Cheers
if your only going for a few years i think a big gap in credit can effect you just as bad?

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
OP
H
Yeh 2 years and you lose it. I've had that happen on me before. We'll almost certainly be back between 1 to 2 years unfortunately. Cheers for the advice guys I'll have to have a look and make sure the cancellation fees aren't too crazy.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
You have nothing to worry about. You can cancel your policy at anytime. As some have said there may be a cancellation fee or they'll deduct it from anything they owe you. I left for 10 years, came back and my credit score was 999. I had no problems getting anything credit-related except a mortgage, it wasn't my credit score it was no UK employment history for 10 years prior, just took 6 months of steady employment. Also, not sure how old you are but car insurance was still fairly cheap with me with zero no claims and a wife driving on a foreign license. You'll be fine. Keep your credit accounts alive and well here with occasional use - just make sure there are no sneaky credit card bills or anything you let slip while you're away.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.