Ordered a new car but dealer trying to overcharge for options/extras on car

Harper821

RMS Member
Drives
Audi
Hi everyone,ordered a car the other week and I’ve noticed the dealer is trying to stick the arm in.For example,they are charging an extra £10 for paint,extra £25 for the better sound system,£60 extra on the led headlights and so on.
I’ve asked and they tried to fob me off with ya excuses like price go up all the time,brexit and so on.
I checked online configured one and I asked them to clarify it.i contacted the manufacturer and they said if I don’t get the answer they will pursue it cause it’s false advertising.
What’s my rights?it was all done over the phone.i haven’t signed anything.
Thanks

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
An extra £10 for paint? I’d say that’s reasonable. Lol. Must be a really good sound system if they are charging £25.

Harper821

RMS Member
OP
H
Drives
Audi
An extra £10 for paint? I’d say that’s reasonable. Lol. Must be a really good sound system if they are charging £25.
Lol that’s on top of the £400 for paint,£600 for the sound system and so on

Harper821

RMS Member
OP
H
Drives
Audi
Surely you agreed a price before committing to the purchase?
I didn’t it was done over the phone.I challenged them and they tried to fob me off.i haven’t signed anything just verbal.but they took a deposit.

bill

Banned
when the deal is done its done once the change the deal you can tell them you want to cancel and want your deposit back.
Its part of the goods act.

Harper821

RMS Member
OP
H
Drives
Audi
when the deal is done its done once the change the deal you can tell them you want to cancel and want your deposit back.
Its part of the goods act.
Ah ok cool thanks.

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
Drives
m135i, m40i
If you arent happy with the dealer now, walk away and find another. Once you have some teething faults you want to be able to trust the dealer to sort them. If that trust is gone already, cancel.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
I didn’t it was done over the phone.I challenged them and they tried to fob me off.i haven’t signed anything just verbal.but they took a deposit.
How could you have done a deal without a price though? Surely no one in their right mind would expect a deposit on something without having a deal and final price locked down?

scubbay

RMS Regular
Drives
10 second Imprez
If you never called at their premises before paying the deposit you are not obliged to take the deal and are entitled to your full deposit returned. Distance selling jibba jabba (not the technical term)

Harper821

RMS Member
OP
H
Drives
Audi
How could you have done a deal without a price though? Surely no one in their right mind would expect a deposit on something without having a deal and final price locked down?
I done a configuration online and I sent it to them.They contacted me,agreed over the phone then next min they emailed me the order form and naturally I challenged them.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Well if it was unpainted, it'd look a bit daft and rust pretty quick.
Ford's do that anyway!

Tell them to stick the order, the UK HQ of whatever brand you are going for should step in so be sure to contact them if the dealer is being a pleb, if the sales assistant isn't giving you satisfaction go to the manager, then the dealer manager then the UK Main Office

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
did the configuraiton have a final price that they agreed upon and then you paid the deposit?

p

Harper821

RMS Member
OP
H
Drives
Audi
Ford's do that anyway!

Tell them to stick the order, the UK HQ of whatever brand you are going for should step in so be sure to contact them if the dealer is being a pleb, if the sales assistant isn't giving you satisfaction go to the manager, then the dealer manager then the UK Main Office
Got sorted contacted the manufacturer and explained the situation and they checked it all out.They where trying to over charge me.

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
Are you still going ahead with the order? Sounds like a crap way to start the new car experience. Hope you get sorted 👍

Harper821

RMS Member
OP
H
Drives
Audi
Are you still going ahead with the order? Sounds like a crap way to start the new car experience. Hope you get sorted 👍
Thanks,yeah I am.they are going to sort me out.they panicked specially when the manufacturer contacted them.

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
So you've ordered a new car based on the specification you chose and the price you seen online?
If the dealer has tried to charge more than the advertised price, you have the right to cancel the order and request a refund of your deposit.

Although to be honest, if it's a brand new car I don't see why you would arrange this over the phone and leave a deposit - I'd personally have waited until I could go in to the dealers, view the paperwork and order forms, confirm price then pay a deposit.
As its brand new and a factory order, its unlike a used car that someone can buy from underneath you so there really would be no rush to pay a deposit.

Harper821

RMS Member
OP
H
Drives
Audi
So you've ordered a new car based on the specification you chose and the price you seen online?
If the dealer has tried to charge more than the advertised price, you have the right to cancel the order and request a refund of your deposit.

Although to be honest, if it's a brand new car I don't see why you would arrange this over the phone and leave a deposit - I'd personally have waited until I could go in to the dealers, view the paperwork and order forms, confirm price then pay a deposit.
As its brand new and a factory order, its unlike a used car that someone can buy from underneath you so there really would be no rush to pay a deposit.
Yeah I completely understand wat your saying.originally got a demonstrator for a lend and I ended up liking it.They offered me a car in stock but it didn’t appeal to me.Naturally there’s was a lot of haggling cause they wanted me to take the car that was in stock.but I was adamant I can get one online with the spec I want.so they phoned me and we got something agreed