P38 Range Rover M57 conversion, who could do it?

glynnnova

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 GTST, S2000
I have a P38 Diesel Range Rover (manual), currently with a ruined engine. The mechanic thought it was the injector pump but turned out to be a lot more serious.

So my question is, who in Northern Ireland could do a M57 conversion from start to finish?

I’d have liked to give it a go myself but have zero space at the house and zero mechanical talent.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Sounds Expensive.. the conversion cost could probably put you into a fresher Running Range Rover.

Is it a common Conversion? Does the P38 Bmw M51 Block have any similarities to the M57?

Bellhousing bolt Pattern? Engine Mounting similarities?

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Wiseman in England would likely do it, or offer kits. But even they posted recently that for the near future they aren't selling any kits, only doing in house conversions.

Unless it's a 100% comprehensive and quality kit, anyone taking such a job on without any experience would be mad doing as a regular job, unless the customer has very deep pockets.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
You’re on the right path with a manual M51 P38 as that’s the gearbox you’ll want.

Easiest way to start is by buying a complete E39 530D which are anything from £400 on the up. Mechanically it’s a fairly simple and straightforward swap, but the wiring is the hard bit, as with most conversions. You’ll be needing the key, EWS, dash loom etc from the donor E39 which is why it’s best to buy a complete running vehicle that you can test before tearing down.