Paint job at home

mightymetro

RMS Regular
Drives
F31 320D, 91 MX5
Am about to start work on some welding on my MX5, what was supposed to be a sill and arch repair is now looking like something much more comprehensive after I went poking with a screwdriver. All things being equal its going to be a full respray (likely panel at a time) so I'm thinking I might change colour while I'm at it. The paint on the car wasn't great and it's had a poor respray in the past by the last owner. My objective isn't concours condition, just a fun weekend car that doesn't look like a heap,so it's looking like a lockdown project

I've sprayed bikes etc and helped my dad and brother spray classic minis in cellulose. I'm not as well up on painting other than celly or touch ups with rattle cans which I assume are acrylic or water based. I know little of acrylics other than 2K needs breathing apparatus and isn't a home job. I have good covered space and a decent compressor, spray guns etc.

If I'm going to tackle the job at home as a lockdown project, is the consensus that the best available way to do it is with 1k acrylic and 1k clear, the main limitation that it sounds like 1k clear will always be softer than 2k and takes an age to cure? Or would celly and polish still give a comparable finish (knowing that cellulose will always be soft and need more work to retain a finish)? I've read of others putting acrylic clear (not sure if it's 1k or 2k) over celly colour with decent results, but my own experience of any mixing of the 2 has never been good with bad reactions and blooming.

Id be confident getting it up to a passable standard with celly and know that it's more forgiving, acrylic would be a leap into the unknown both in terms of what's safe and how hard it is to get a result...id just like to hear any experience from others re how they've produced decent results at home without a paint booth, any recommended paint / clear combinations etc.

Any advice appreciated!

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
I have chanced single panels with 2k clear and a good 3m half mask and got the feck out of the garage as soon as possible. Left the garage door open and the rear single door open for a draft. Sacrificed a few bits of dust for a bit more safety. Wouldn't attempt a big spray job with it.

I have got an air fed adaptor for my half mask buy never sprayed again to get using it. Maybe worth looking into, wasn't overly expensive from memory. Feeds the mask fresh air from a seperate compressor. Needs good filtration between compressor and mask though.

If you could get a good fan system working to take the overspray away would help as well.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Do not mess around with 2k without the proper gear. I'm no expert but you will need 2k primer if you want to use a 2k clear. 1k primer can shift around and the harder 2k clear won't allow for movement and might crack.

2k epoxy primer for any bare metal.

mightymetro

RMS Regular
OP
mightymetro
Drives
F31 320D, 91 MX5
Do not mess around with 2k without the proper gear. I'm no expert but you will need 2k primer if you want to use a 2k clear. 1k primer can shift around and the harder 2k clear won't allow for movement and might crack.

2k epoxy primer for any bare metal.

Aye tbh I've no notion of going 2K - really just trying to work out what non-2k acrylic is like to work with.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
You cannot paint a car one panel at a time ! ( well you could...but it would be a bit silly )

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
Aye tbh I've no notion of going 2K - really just trying to work out what non-2k acrylic is like to work with.

I would imagine non 2k acrylic would be a complete bollox for the home spray painter.

I’m sure @pedenjohn could advise.

I would be going 2k myself and do what I could to minimise exposure.

I believe there’s a gerson half mask rated for isocyanate based paint, used it America....I don’t think they considered safe in the U.K. oddly. I used one recently for applying 2k stone chip.

amcm1

RMS Regular
Wouldn't recommend anyone to be using 2k paint at home unless they are properly clued up on how to use it safely and have the PPE for it, unfortunately its the only paint ive had any luck with. I had asked 2 paint places before for cellulose originally and one of them pretty much laughed in my face and said nobody uses that anymore, but you should still be able to get it and be easier to get better results from with a bit of work. I dont think a half respirator is enough for using with 2k paint as ive been told the fumes can still get in through your eyes and into your blood stream. There is non-iso 2k available but not sure where would sell it and have heard it can be harder to work with.

mightymetro

RMS Regular
OP
mightymetro
Drives
F31 320D, 91 MX5
did you do this @mightymetro , how'd it turn out ?

Only seeing this now. Haven't got near it, new baby 6 weeks ago fairly put paid to it...before that the bodywork was much more involved than feared so I've not had the motivation to tackle it, it needs a few days to get metal in and I can only donate a few hours at a time.

We did minis a couple of years ago with celly a panel at a time and they're passable (one is award winning), so given I don't think 2k is a goer I think I'll be going with what I know. Celly and lots of wet and dry and maybe a ceramic coating to give some top durability, am aiming for usable rather than a show car, am certainly not shelling out £1k+ for a paintshop respray on a car with book value of 1500 quid either way. I'll get it done eventually... (2022 maybe!)

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Only seeing this now. Haven't got near it, new baby 6 weeks ago fairly put paid to it...before that the bodywork was much more involved than feared so I've not had the motivation to tackle it, it needs a few days to get metal in and I can only donate a few hours at a time.

We did minis a couple of years ago with celly a panel at a time and they're passable (one is award winning), so given I don't think 2k is a goer I think I'll be going with what I know. Celly and lots of wet and dry and maybe a ceramic coating to give some top durability, am aiming for usable rather than a show car, am certainly not shelling out £1k+ for a paintshop respray on a car with book value of 1500 quid either way. I'll get it done eventually... (2022 maybe!)

Raptor it ?

mightymetro

RMS Regular
OP
mightymetro
Drives
F31 320D, 91 MX5
Raptor it ?
Is that the matt stuff? Think I'd still like to get something that'll buff to a gloss. Pretty much set on a bmw graphite / mineral grey and I'll brush in the engine bay in black or something.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Is that the matt stuff? Think I'd still like to get something that'll buff to a gloss. Pretty much set on a bmw graphite / mineral grey and I'll brush in the engine bay in black or something.
Raptor is truck bedliner. Great for undersides etc, though I prefer gravitex personally.

It will look textured on the exterior even if thinned a fair bit, so tends to look pretty awful on the exterior of a car or even on more utilitarian vehicles, in my opinion of course.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2

...right , its 2022 now @mightymetro , how did it turn out? :joy:

Dave123

Hi.

I've a old car that is still going very well but the paint is flaking off bonnet and roof badly - probably due to stone chips. As it is an old car I'm not looking to spend big money on it, but would like to get rid of the very bad look of it - its getting very rough looking.

How much would I be looking to get a mid size car sprayed? Just looking a cheap tidy up - car isn't worth much tbh. I had enquired about wraps, but got no reply so they either thought I was joking or weren't interested.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
If you are wanting to paint a bonnet and a roof a half decent body shop would be about £500 for that.

Some roofs will require glass out etc

Dave123

@big_pete - if I could get away with bonnet and roof that would be great. although I've been told that matching the colour will be a PITA. A cheap coverup would suffice. Its not a car worthy of a lot of effort. It just looks very throughother and a bit of an embarrassment.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Unless it’s an old red or yellow or a pearlescent colour shouldn’t be an issue for a competent bodyshop