Paint Protection Film

Jonty87

RMS Regular
So I have a mk5 golf R32 with low miles. However the front of the car is tired looking and it’s going on a few weeks to ag automotive for some fresh paint! To keep it fresh I have debated about getting PPF installed. Has anyone ever had PPF installed?is it worth the money?who installed it?could you install PPF yourself possibly?
I’ve been quoted £900 for a full front end PPF protection (bonnet, bumper, lights, wings and wing mirrors)

thanks

Martyn

RMS Regular
So I have a mk5 golf R32 with low miles. However the front of the car is tired looking and it’s going on a few weeks to ag automotive for some fresh paint! To keep it fresh I have debated about getting PPF installed. Has anyone ever had PPF installed?is it worth the money?who installed it?could you install PPF yourself possibly?
I’ve been quoted £900 for a full front end PPF protection (bonnet, bumper, lights, wings and wing mirrors)

thanks

Who has given you the quote - it sounds similar to what I was quoted for Xpel film.

davyk31

RMS Regular
I had it on my Macan from new and would do it again for sure. Amazing job and kept the front of the car totally perfect. Also made it easy and safe to wash off flies in the summer. Fitted by Andrew at Smartskin. I did bumper, part bonnet, lights, mirrors, side sills and bottoms of doors and all for a good bit less than the figure you mention above. Sold the car recently and as I say it was totally immaculate even after 4 years. You can get the edges lifting a little in places and need to be a bit cautious not to blast a power washer hard on the edges but that’s nothing to be worried about and well worth it for the protection it gives.

Martyn

RMS Regular
Maybe we could list suppliers who can fit ppf?

That could allow rms members to phone around for a quote

Andrew smartskin
Autoskins NI
Complete car care lisburn
Any others?

davyk31

RMS Regular
Think Andrew is maybe part of Complete Car Care Lisburn now but not sure. Hawkeye Ballymoney talked of starting it but not sure it’s happened yet. Would be good to have someone North of the country.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
You can get the edges lifting a little in places and need to be a bit cautious not to blast a power washer hard on the edges but that’s nothing to be worried about
That is why you get what you pay for. Edges should not be visible if they have cut the templates correctly and you certainly shouldn't have edges lifting after that length of time.

Good quality film is guaranteed for 10 years in some cases so it's worth shopping around.

davyk31

RMS Regular
I’m not sure that it’s right to say edges are never visible as that’s impossible. And most of the stuff comes custom kits for a certain car. On the front of a car there will be numerous separate pieces to fit around all the detail and those edges can never be hidden. It was on these small pieces I noticed very occasional edge lift but really wasn’t significant in any way. As far as i am concerned my installer did an excellent job and it lasted extremely well with the film looking as good as new 4 years later.

J55NI

RMS Regular
For a proper job your looking circa £1.5k for the front alone dependent on vehicle shape.

Didn't reliase it was so expensive. If that's the going rate for a decent job you would be better getting leaving it and getting it sprayed if it gets stone chipped..

Martyn

RMS Regular
Didn't reliase it was so expensive. If that's the going rate for a decent job you would be better getting leaving it and getting it sprayed if it gets stone chipped..

Not when the likes of Porsche nearly always budget for a trade in paint job of £5k+.

The last boxter I traded in had a full respray with 23k on the clock and looked brand new when it was put back on the market.

It really depends on the car and the eventual buyers expectations.

davyk31

RMS Regular
As above Porsche Belfast told me they allow £2600 for each Macan they trade in to paint the front end and side sills where stone damage occurs. So if the PPF is less than that, which it will be, then you are quids in and also have the benefit of a stone chip free car during your ownership.

J55NI

RMS Regular
Not when the likes of Porsche nearly always budget for a trade in paint job of £5k+.

The last boxter I traded in had a full respray with 23k on the clock and looked brand new when it was put back on the market.

It really depends on the car and the eventual buyers expectations.

Has bodyshops raised the price a lot recently? £1500 would cover getting the front end repainted if any damage did occur surely?

Martyn

RMS Regular
Has bodyshops raised the price a lot recently? £1500 would cover getting the front end repainted if any damage did occur surely?

Ahhh... but you see you need to pay the “Porsche premium tax!” If the work isn’t done by an approved Porsche body shop then the work has to be redone.

Porsche world is a completely different rabbit hole that you “choose” to go down, The 992 now has the option of ppf form the factory for £1347.

Anyway back to PPF suppliers and prices in NI - great topic!

J55NI

RMS Regular
Ahhh... but you see you need to pay the “Porsche premium tax!” If the work isn’t done by an approved Porsche body shop then the work has to be redone.

Porsche world is a completely different rabbit hole that you “choose” to go down, The 992 now has the option of ppf form the factory for £1347.

Anyway back to PPF suppliers and prices in NI - great topic!
Interesting to be fair. I will try complete car care in Lisburn myself when i get sorted with a new car.

ShaunB

RMS Regular
From personal experience I wouldn't bother with Autoskins NI.
They wanted an estimated £1500 to do the front of my E63.
Bumper/Wings/Bonnet/Mirrors & the wee bit at the front of the roof just before the pan roof.
Told me I'd be able to see joins.

I never bothered to pursue PPF any further after that.

pablo

RMS Moderator
if PPF is stopping mid panel then youll always see the line

OT but can you buy the film itself in like 1m width roll? Is it expensive?

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
They wanted an estimated £1500 to do the front of my E63.
Bumper/Wings/Bonnet/Mirrors & the wee bit at the front of the roof just before the pan roof.
Told me I'd be able to see joins.

I never bothered to pursue PPF any further after that.

I had them (based on a recommendation) PPF some of the gloss black exterior trim on my car, I wasn't impressed with their work and will probably remove it myself at some stage.