Painting brake discs

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Ok , so I know theres threads on painting calipers but need advice on painting discs. I have done calipers and discs in the past but never kept the cars long enough to see how it lasts.
I've 2 brand new front discs that I dont want to rust. I've 2 rears that are rusty as heck.
I dont think high temp paint would stop rust (from previous experience on a home made log burner). And also if I could avoid aerosol it's a bonus as it'll be done in the garage so dont want gassed out.
Would normal black or silver Hammerite brushed on be fine with heat from disc ?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Used POR15 on the Porsche when I stuck new discs on in March and they're still good. Had to actually wait until they started to rust a bit before applying it.

richie_mck

RMS Regular
I put a wire brush attachment on the drill and take the bell back down to bare metal then put paint straight on. I did the bm ones with autoglym silver wheel paint last may and they’re still good as new. I cover the Cali per and rotate the disc, the first time it’s out the brakes will sweep away the paint and protect everything else, no need to worry about masking

440C54BE-715D-46FA-B5BC-9F6557D358BC.jpeg

neil-c

RMS Regular
A bit of a thread highjack but I'm looking for an etch primer to use on an enamel stove pipe? I coated the pipe with high temp paint from stovax to match the colour of the stove but it's all peeled off. Are there any etch primers that can cope with high temp and that would also work on enamel?

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
So how many of you paint the whole disc, braking surface and everything.

Something I'd never do and think it's quite frankly retarded. Only ask as I see one of the top detailers in the country 'refreshing' discs by spray painting to whole thing. Claims pads take it off the braking surface. Eh......maybe so but what a way to *** up a set of brake pads.

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
i certainly wouldn't mask up the face of the disc but it does get a bit of overspray first brake and its gone, i do the caliper at the same time,never ruined a set of pads yet, in relation to @CharlySkunkWeed question about the new discs i remember doing the daughters wee polo a few years back bought the from tps give them a couple of coats of hammerite and they were rusting within a year,

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Don't mask either. Just wipe the disc off with a drop of thinners.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Most important part is getting the disc as clean as possible before applying paint.
As @richie_mck said, a wire brush attachment on the drill/grinder works best. I painted mine with Hammerite Silver and turned out fine.

Might need done again sometime but it’s not a big job.