Parasitic battery drain on range rover

Ge0rge

Banned
I seem to have a drain on my battery, if I jump start it and drive all day it's fine but left over night it drains, I tried removing the fuse for the blower but still the same I then tried the 2 for the radio and still the same...

Remote locking isn't working so I think possibly the car is not properly going to sleep as they say, when I unlock with the key I hear loads of clicking for a few seconds which seems to be coming from the headunit it's strange.

My battery is also charging at over 15v when jump started even after a long run its still 15.4 or something which seems way too high....

Any ideas, bad battery, bad alenator or just a parasitic drain of some sort ?

It's a 3.0 diesel vogue 2002 or 20003

@Alan_B @Nicky

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Georgie boy. I already answered this. It can't be diagnosed remotely you cheapskate..... get yer wallet out and visit an auto spark!

As long as the battery is charging under 16v, it shouldn't be a problem, though it doesn't seem normal to me. From the way you described the phenomenon, It sounds like the battery won't hold charge. If you want, I can test the battery on Saturday afternoon.

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
@Ge0rge to be honest it could be bloody anything in these. Even headlight wipers not returning to home position can drain the battery.

For me it was the fan speed regulator. Also make sure you have a good heavy duty in spec battery. A lot of people rate varta ones. As mine is only driven once a week or so and it's not the best battery in the world I do get random errors such as air susp inactive etc.

Alternator failing will give you a battery light same as any other car. Changing that is a bit of a faff but simple enough.

Get a members thread going please so I'm not the only idiot that has one of these.

Last edited:

Ge0rge

Banned
OP
Ge0rge
Can you put a multi-meter across each of the fuses to see which fuse is still using current when the car is switched off?
Yeah that's the plan tomorrow I'm gonna fully charge the battery in the house tonight

Ge0rge

Banned
OP
Ge0rge
Georgie boy. I already answered this. It can't be diagnosed remotely you cheapskate..... get yer wallet out and visit an auto spark!

As long as the battery is charging under 16v, it shouldn't be a problem, though it doesn't seem normal to me. From the way you described the phenomenon, It sounds like the battery won't hold charge. If you want, I can test the battery on Saturday afternoon.
I already rang the guy I normally use can't get a hold of him if I can't get him then yeah be good if you could pop around on sat (y) or il come to yours

Ge0rge

Banned
OP
Ge0rge
Can you put a multi-meter across each of the fuses to see which fuse is still using current when the car is switched off?
in the meantime til del comes to the rescue can that be done tomorrow morning when the battery is probably gonna be about 8 to 10 volts or should i wait til i fully charge it? didnt get time to take it out this evening.

Marc

RMS Moderator
in the meantime til del comes to the rescue can that be done tomorrow morning when the battery is probably gonna be about 8 to 10 volts or should i wait til i fully charge it? didnt get time to take it out this evening.
You should still probably be able to see a current draw even with a low battery

Ge0rge

Banned
OP
Ge0rge
I went out and got it last night and put it on around 2am and just checked there now, even though the battery is saying it's at 12.4v the charger hasn't switched off automatically like it usually does to say it's fully charged which is strange.....

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Could someone sense check this for me please? Cheap multimeter and I’m not sure if this the appropriate measurement setting I’m using.

Flicked sidelights on and tried again and it registered 3.8 using the below settings.

04DAFFCF-A72B-4E9E-A93B-5A85A0B30514.jpeg

293C5B02-A4C6-4F4A-B94A-A5199B62FBCD.jpeg

Batteries are weak after 3/4 days. They look old but no idea how old and given there’s two I’d rather be sure it’s them before buying replacements.

Im thinking no drain but just want to be sure.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Aye that’s grand. VW upper tolerance is 80 milliamps if I remember correctly but generally when the cars go to sleep it’s 50 and below.

Joe 90

RMS Regular
If I was you I'd start with the batteries. Fully charge them and check voltage is correct. Then disconnect batteries from car and check a few days later to see if they are holding the charge.
15v charging is too high. If a battery is constantly being charged at that voltage it'll be cooked.
A bad battery will probably start after driving all day but will crap itself after sitting a while so it doesn't guarantee your car has a drain. As I said start with the batteries not connected to car an eliminate one thing at a time.