Partial plate

Bryan

RMS Regular
Can anyone find out what the rest of a registration plate is from a partial registration? I'm buying an old JCB and it currently has no log book but does have a partial number plate. It's an English suffix S reg but it is missing the first three letters. How would I go about finding out what the rest of it is?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
There are sites online worth a try like VIN View /// AnalogX, but problem could be that it's what, 1977 approx? Pre 1981 is only chassis number, not a VIN number so the searches might not work.
Be worth trying DVLA especially with it being English reg although in my experience (as of last week) they might only want to process a reg query if you have a specific reason to do so, like actually getting it taxed.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
If the above doesn't work, could you not create a program to interrogate the DVLA database and pull all reg's with multiples of the first 3 digits into a database / spreadsheet for some manual searching? Sounds like something Automation Anywhere or similar could do.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
There are sites online worth a try like VIN View /// AnalogX, but problem could be that it's what, 1977 approx? Pre 1981 is only chassis number, not a VIN number so the searches might not work.
Be worth trying DVLA especially with it being English reg although in my experience (as of last week) they might only want to process a reg query if you have a specific reason to do so, like actually getting it taxed.

Cheers I haven't got it yet so I don't even know what the chassis number is yet. I would like to get a log book for it and keep it above board.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
I've now got the machine and there are two serial numbers on the plate - JCB Serial number and Tractor serial number. Does anyone happen to know which one it will be registered under? Also can anyone search using either of these numbers to try and find the reg?

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
I don't have one anymore but seem to remember the number stamped on the chassis rail too. Guessing it's a 3C or 3D model.
Have a read through this, it looks helpful.
JCB 3C Mk3 Chassis Number Location - The Classic Machinery Network

That's extremely helpful - thank you. I emailed the DVLA an hour ago as well and already got a reply. They basically said I just need to apply for a duplicate V5 in the normal fashion but enclose a covering letter explaining that I only know the last part of the registration.

Fingers crossed :grinning: