Paying deposit of car in England on credit card

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Anybody any experience on this?

Few M3’s in England have caught my eye so going to ring dealers for walk rounds etc.

Planning on securing the car with a deposit on my credit card to give me a bit of protection then bank transfer the rest once I fly over.

I know a lot of dealers are funny about credit cards would this be an acceptable method or would they most likely tell me to do one?

MarkM

RMS Regular
Anybody any experience on this?

Few M3’s in England have caught my eye so going to ring dealers for walk rounds etc.

Planning on securing the car with a deposit on my credit card to give me a bit of protection then bank transfer the rest once I fly over.

I know a lot of dealers are funny about credit cards would this be an acceptable method or would they most likely tell me to do one?

Depends on the dealer I suppose but with credit cards come fees.
When I bought the A45 from RSDirect, they wanted a £500 PayPal deposit then wanted debit card payment for the balance, not a transfer

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
The dealership I bought my Boxster from had no issue with me paying the deposit, or the remaining balance on my CC. I wouldn’t have paid any other way to be honest considering I hadn’t seen the car in the metal until I drove over to collect it.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Have done it once in the past and had no issues.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Paid a CC deposit once before but I wouldn't be paying a penny more until I see/drive the car. That's what I did last time and dealer was happy enough.

The way I look at it, if they are difficult about deposits etc just walk away. The last car I bought from England they agreed to refund my deposit and flights if the car was not as described.

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
Drives
m135i, m40i
Did that a few weeks ago, and was glad I did. Spec listed in ad didn’t match car when i checked it out prior to travel. Thankfully the dealer stood over it being their mistake and refunded. Pity I had already a flight booked for someone to lift it.

KevM

RMS Regular
they agreed to refund my deposit and flights if the car was not as described.

That needs to be made very clear & agreed before paying a penny.

A lot of customers have quite a misconception about what a deposit can mean. I get often asked 'can I pay a deposit to hold that car until I get over to see it'. That'd be a polite no from me. I'll only take a deposit off someone who is committing to buy.
But as above, if a customer is ok with buying blind, you really need to be able to stand over your description and offer a get-out for them if things aren't right.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Any deposit I would place on an unseen car would only be to hold the car, certainly wouldn’t be agreeing to buy until I see it as everyone’s opinion of “immaculate” varies widely especially by the person selling the car.
If a dealer wasn’t happy with that approach then they can sell it to someone else. And certainly use a credit card, fees are minimal in the great scheme of things but offer to pay the fees to take away any excuses.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
That needs to be made very clear & agreed before paying a penny.

A lot of customers have quite a misconception about what a deposit can mean. I get often asked 'can I pay a deposit to hold that car until I get over to see it'. That'd be a polite no from me. I'll only take a deposit off someone who is committing to buy.
But as above, if a customer is ok with buying blind, you really need to be able to stand over your description and offer a get-out for them if things aren't right.

Any honest dealer should be happy to take a money back deposit to hold a car for a distant traveller if their description etc of teh car are honest and genuine. If they insist on a non refundable deposit in those cases, when the customer is already going to be out a lot of money to view it in person, walk away. The dealer cannot be trusted as they are clearly unsure of what they're offering in the first place or have something to hide.

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
Distance selling regulations means they’re obliged to refund you the deposit or for you to change you mind up to 14 days even if you drive the car away. Probably a better safeguard than S75 CC protection in this instance.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineF30
Drives
BMW M3
Cheers all!

Roughly how much should I be paying as well on the deposit?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Distance selling regulations means they’re obliged to refund you the deposit or for you to change you mind up to 14 days even if you drive the car away. Probably a better safeguard than S75 CC protection in this instance.

But would the distance selling cover if you actually travelled there to pick it up...so didn't buy it remotely as such ?

Or does it cover the fact you've purchased, but live miles away ?
Cheers all!

Roughly how much should I be paying as well on the deposit?

As little as possible ?

Whilst many say car selling is hot right now, I've been watching a few in England and even a couple locally....and they do not seem to be selling. Unless I look at odd stuff. Some have been sitting for a couple of months that I've been looking

How long as it been advertised for ?

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I've paid deposits of between £500-£1000 for stuff I have been collecting on the mainland (values between £17k-£25k). The dealers I have dealt with were normally happy enough as long as it was enough to indicate you were serious.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Max £500 should be plenty. All you are asking is they hold it for a few days until you get to see it so really doesn’t need to be a big deposit. At end of the day if anyone else enquires before you get to see all they need to do is call that person if you don’t end up wanting to buy it.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
As little as possible over £100. Ideally £101 but he’ll probably ask for more.

KIbby96

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra
Was once asked for 5k of a 15k purchase........eh work it big lad. We agreed on £500
Thats some negotiating there hahaha.

Im in the middle of getting wuotes for a house re-wire, fancy taking over youll save me plenty hahaha

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Thats some negotiating there hahaha.

Im in the middle of getting wuotes for a house re-wire, fancy taking over youll save me plenty hahaha
Wasn't going to be paying some dude in England 5k for something I'd never seen before. If he hadn't of balled ball then I would have walked away.

KIbby96

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra
Wasn't going to be paying some dude in England 5k for something I'd never seen before. If he hadn't of balled ball then I would have walked away.
Oh i fully agree, but the brass neck of him to ask for 5k is laughable