People who can't park their fingers up their hole's thread..

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
5th gear carried out a test on quite a few fuel suppliers years ago, Asda came out bottom of the pile.

I acknowledge that your average person driving an average car probably won't notice the difference, but I would rather put a quality fuel in my car, it makes no sense to me to put the worst option available in my car just to save a few pence.

If it’s a high performance petrol I agree, you’ll see the benefit going for super over boggo supermarket 95 and agree for your average runabout, it’ll be fine.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Cheap for a reason. Have seen first hand a few times the damage supermarket fuel can cause and I always advise against using it.

A bit like fast food in my opinion 🤢

ShaunB

RMS Regular
Cheap for a reason. Have seen first hand a few times the damage supermarket fuel can cause and I always advise against using it.

A bit like fast food in my opinion 🤢
Bit generalised that.

I've used sainsburys super unleaded for years with zero issues on many different marques.
Three impreza STI's remapped by Andy Forrest to approximately 360bhp, ran faultlessly.
Several 400 odd and 600 odd bhp cars also ran on the same SUL fuel from sainsburys.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Ah the world acclaimed scientific research agency, 5th gear. Say no more.

They didn't actually carry out the tests, the program was just a means to publise the data.

For example sainsbury's fuel actually performed fine in the test, Tesco's didn't perform particularly well either. However Asda was the stand out poor performer, scoring very low in every single test.

It was certainly enough to steer me away from Asda fuel to simply save myself a few pence per litre of fuel.
Bit generalised that.

I've used sainsburys super unleaded for years with zero issues on many different marques.
Three impreza STI's remapped by Andy Forrest to approximately 360bhp, ran faultlessly.
Several 400 odd and 600 odd bhp cars also ran on the same SUL fuel from sainsburys.

Sainsbury actually came out alright in the test, it was Tesco and Asda who I would avoid based on the results. And taking into account that they are only a few pence per litre cheaper why bother using them.

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
They didn't actually carry out the tests, the program was just a means to publise the data.

For example sainsbury's fuel actually performed fine in the test, Tesco's didn't perform particularly well either. However Asda was the stand out poor performer, scoring very low in every single test.

It was certainly enough to steer me away from Asda fuel to simply save myself a few pence per litre of fuel.

Sainsbury actually came out alright in the test, it was Tesco and Asda who I would avoid based on the results. And taking into account that they are only a few pence per litre cheaper why bother using them.

Having worked with a few companies I know the fuels all from the same place BUT my Volvo sounds like the engine is going to leap out of the car on Tesco Fuel.

Similarity it runs like ***** on BP Ultimate after running a few tank fills through the car. Standard BP is fine. (By fine I mean ***** but standard ***** for a 1.6hdi engine)

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I’ve used Sainsbury’s petrol and diesel for years and never had any bother. I’d never use Tesco or Asda as there’s something in my head that Sainsbury’s stuff is decent. I’m sure someone mentioned on here years ago that it’s the same as BP.

Last edited:

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Having worked with a few companies I know the fuels all from the same place BUT my Volvo sounds like the engine is going to leap out of the car on Tesco Fuel.

Similarity it runs like ***** on BP Ultimate after running a few tank fills through the car. Standard BP is fine. (By fine I mean ***** but standard ***** for a 1.6hdi engine)

My car runs grand on sainsburys super and BP ultimate, I do genuinely notice a difference the odd time I've put 95 Ron in it.

Can't say how it runs on Asda or tesco fuel as I've never used it, and never will.

ShaunB

RMS Regular
Been a long time ago since I had Andy Forrest remap the STI's, but he was very critical about BP ultimate

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Think of this thread like speaking to some ancient taxi driver who starts off the journey gurning about people who can't park their fingers up their hole and moves on the the price and quality of fuel, electric cars and eventually segways into Brexit, immigration and how Trump was a standup guy who was screwed by the establishment. If your journey is long enough, you'll get a few conspiracy theories and God knows what else.

FN2DAVE

RMS Regular
Drives
Seat Leon
Wee pincer movement at McDonald's Dundonald
20210111_112549.jpg

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
What’s the story behind that?

At a guess I'd imagine it's normal resting place/garage is to the right directly behind it, handbrake forgotten and it rolled into the neighbours garden 🤷‍♂️

Doesn't look like mental damage, and it is a rally car, but that'll hurt 😔

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I am assuming there was a vehicle in front of the lorry who went to go and didnt but the driver of the lorry assumed they were moving on, had to dart right to avoid collision