Petrol generator

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
anyone know why a petrol generator isn’t putting power to the outlets ?
Was bought new a couple of years back but was only used for about 30minutes
Started today but no power from it 8o|
It’s a SDMO Alize with Honda engine If it helps

gizmo98

RMS Regular
OP
G
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Yeh it’s running perfectly
There’s a switch to switch to either 110 or 240
But no power to either outlet
Been told they can do this if they are sitting a long time,probably a couple of years since it was going
Seen videos online to “reflash” it but they look dodgy as feck and don’t want to blow anything on it,was an expensive wee bugger when I bought it

Uncle Buck

RMS Regular
Drives
Ford Focus
Flashing the voltage regulator can be dodgy. We do it in work with the big generators occasionally. It's 2 wires from the starter to the DC connection on the regulator then start the set up for a few seconds then off again. Disconnect and normally it's hey presto! and it works again. But if unsure, better to take it to someone who knows the workings of that particular one

gizmo98

RMS Regular
OP
G
Drives
Vrs Octavia
THanks
I’ll fire it in and get it looked at somewhere

Michael44

RMS Regular
Drives
Lancia
anyone know why a petrol generator isn’t putting power to the outlets ?
Was bought new a couple of years back but was only used for about 30minutes
Started today but no power from it 8o|
It’s a SDMO Alize with Honda engine If it helps
I had one doing the same a few years back. It was the excitation capacitor which I didn't cost much on Ebay

Bryan

RMS Regular
I have the opposite problem.... my little 2 stroke 950watt generator wouldn't start at all even with a drill on the end of the crankshaft (how I usually get it going). Time to chuck it in the bin and it's only ever been used once too.

Gambit

RMS Regular
I have the opposite problem.... my little 2 stroke 950watt generator wouldn't start at all even with a drill on the end of the crankshaft (how I usually get it going). Time to chuck it in the bin and it's only ever been used once too.

dont chuck it in the bin, give it to me, ill give it to my da to play with - give him something to do during the day rather than sitting about watching tv in his retirement!

genman

G
Flashing the voltage regulator can be dodgy. We do it in work with the big generators occasionally. It's 2 wires from the starter to the DC connection on the regulator then start the set up for a few seconds then off again. Disconnect and normally it's hey presto! and it works again. But if unsure, better to take it to someone who knows the workings of that particular one
Old school shunt flashing...luckily only have to do that once a year or so in my job....usually if the set hasn't been used for 6 months or more

Uncle Buck

RMS Regular
Drives
Ford Focus
Old school shunt flashing...luckily only have to do that once a year or so in my job....usually if the set hasn't been used for 6 months or more
It's a rarity here but we have to do it during the test process from the suppliers, so I don't know what that says about the part! It's the poor sods out in the real world possibly relying on the genset doing what it's supposed do every time it's fired up regardless of how long it's been sat idle

gizmo98

RMS Regular
OP
G
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Bump up
Only got back to looking at it now 😂
New capacitor and still no power 😢

gizmo98

RMS Regular
OP
G
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Any little push-in trips? I’m sure my Honda genny has two of these, one on each outlet.

Aye there’s two on it there’s no power going to
Them or any of the plugs though

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Have you tried 'exciting' with a drill? Hold the switch in and spin the chuck by hand but be careful. If it doesn't work then spin the chuck the other way. This biker babe here uses a grinder.

Statler

RMS Regular
Drives
Slowly ;-)
Capacitors are a nuisance and a godsend. Our tumble dryer eats them like popcorn....
Good you're running again!