Peugeot 407 SE 1.6 HDI

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

IanRyan

RMS Regular
Drives
207 GT
Evening Folks,

As some of you may have seen on my #MissBetsy thread I recently purchased a Peugeot 407 as a result of some running issues with the 207. Anyway, onto the 407...

Spec:

1.6 HDI
97000 Miles
Full Peugeot Service History
2 Former Keepers

All in all the car is fairly clean with some cosmetic issues. For the price I got it I am not complaining.

Pictures from the advert

Clean Engine Bay

I had to replace the rubber seal for the intake side of the turbo, common issue on the HDI engines.

Replaced the key case & gear knob gaiter as the old one was pretty tatty

Number plate came of the other day due to the holder being cracker at the bottom. So I got it cleaned, just need to pick up some foam pads.

Next up was a set of wind deflectors, as always make the car look much better.

Finally I debadge the rear, as you can see a bit of paint came off with the '0' so I will either stick on the '0' or get a touch up pen.

A part from that I will get it serviced along with new brakes & glow plugs.

Thanks for reading!

IanRyan

RMS Regular
OP
IanRyan
Drives
207 GT
i thought the 0 was the boot opening button on these?

The button is inside the '0' however I have it turned off so it can only be opened by the fob. May smooth it off and put the button inside the car simple enough job as the wires run into the boot anyway!

IanRyan

RMS Regular
OP
IanRyan
Drives
207 GT
What are these like on fuel? Are they not a bit gutless?

I'm averaging 50.3 MPG roughly £10 till 100 miles. Bearing in mind I live up in Stoneyford so I am driving up white mountain about 2 times a day in 4th lol.

I do find myself up and down the gears more times than enough, knowing these engines & gearboxes its going to need a clutch & flywheel in about 20k or so, so it will be getting a remap after. You can get about 150bhp out of them providing the turbo is good.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Used to do 3 or 4 turbos a day for those DV6 engines, both 90bhp and 110bhp, when I was at GP...

Can not recommend enough that you remove the sump at the next oil change and replace the oil pickup pipe, and if you're any way mechanically minded, remove the banjo bolt that goes into the block for the turbo oil feed pipe and remove the gauze from the centre of it too. Garrett themselves recommend that on those engines, and only offer a 3,000 mile warranty on those turbos, meaning any turbos that failed due to oil contamination or whatever after that mileage inside the Peugeot warranty period, were up to Peugeot to pay for. They really are a terrible engine as far as contamination goes due to the emissions system on them (EGR, DPF, long life servicing on 4 litres of oil, active glow plugs which engage even when the engine is warm etc etc).

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
image.jpeg

IanRyan

RMS Regular
OP
IanRyan
Drives
207 GT
Used to do 3 or 4 turbos a day for those DV6 engines, both 90bhp and 110bhp, when I was at GP...

Can not recommend enough that you remove the sump at the next oil change and replace the oil pickup pipe, and if you're any way mechanically minded, remove the banjo bolt that goes into the block for the turbo oil feed pipe and remove the gauze from the centre of it too. Garrett themselves recommend that on those engines, and only offer a 3,000 mile warranty on those turbos, meaning any turbos that failed due to oil contamination or whatever after that mileage inside the Peugeot warranty period, were up to Peugeot to pay for. They really are a terrible engine as far as contamination goes due to the emissions system on them (EGR, DPF, long life servicing on 4 litres of oil, active glow plugs which engage even when the engine is warm etc etc).

Thanks for the info. I planned on replacing the turbo oil feed with a better after market alternative as I have seen more times than enough the gauze or the ferrules causing issues...

The oil pickup pipe was something I definitely wanted to have a look at as a family members 90bhp model is just after having it replaced and it is only 5 year old with less than 40k on the clock.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
The problem I found is that the sump bung is recessed flush into the sump pan. When you drain the oil, there's still almost half a litre of oil and sludge lying in the sump that doesn't come out. It's that crap, spent oil that does the damage when the new oil is added and it's mixed in and circulates around the engine and turbo.

I've repaired that many of them, I have the turbo off them in 10-15mins. Hardest bit is removing the heat shield from the cat... It's the removing on the sump, rocker cover, quite often the intercooler etc for a thorough cleaning and decontamination process that makes them a bigger job.

New pickup pipe, oil feed pipe and banjo bolts with no gauze filters along with 5-6k mile oil changes should see her last you well though. Also, for the sake of £3 or so, replace the thick copper washers that sit either side of the oil feed pipe too. They're not great when reused.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
The problem I found is that the sump bung is recessed flush into the sump pan. When you drain the oil, there's still almost half a litre of oil and sludge lying in the sump that doesn't come out. It's that crap, spent oil that does the damage when the new oil is added and it's mixed in and circulates around the engine and turbo.

I've repaired that many of them, I have the turbo off them in 10-15mins. Hardest bit is removing the heat shield from the cat... It's the removing on the sump, rocker cover, quite often the intercooler etc for a thorough cleaning and decontamination process that makes them a bigger job.

New pickup pipe, oil feed pipe and banjo bolts with no gauze filters along with 5-6k mile oil changes should see her last you well though. Also, for the sake of £3 or so, replace the thick copper washers that sit either side of the oil feed pipe too. They're not great when reused.

How do you get rid of the last 500ml of oil in the bottom? I was looking at 207s with this engine recently as Ive gotten used to the economy of the 206 but wanted something newer.

IanRyan

RMS Regular
OP
IanRyan
Drives
207 GT
How do you get rid of the last 500ml of oil in the bottom? I was looking at 207s with this engine recently as Ive gotten used to the economy of the 206 but wanted something newer.

Drop the sump out to get the last off the oil out. I'd say you will have fairly trouble free driving with them providing the engine has been well looked after

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Drop the sump out to get the last off the oil out. I'd say you will have fairly trouble free driving with them providing the engine has been well looked after

The one I have my eye on is 2012 with 18k miles so shouldnt be too badly abused. Will try and get a run in one next weekend

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf

As Ian said, drop the sump is the only option. The only thing that might cause an issue for dropping the sump is the exhaust. Some models with that engine can have the sump removed without dropping the front pipe off, whereas others can't.

Also, ensure they have good quality glow plugs in them too as they are crucial to these engines, and are used very often, even when the engine is at running temp.

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
I've got a 1.6 407 with almost the very same mileage on it. Owned it for almost 7 years. The red turbo seal/washer gave up on mine last week. Mind you... looking at your pics.. your turbo is alot cleaner than mine. I've a degree of soot/carbon around that lubrication pipe.

Interesting to read about the sump removal - must get that done next oil change.

Only recurring issue I've had with mine is that it eats the lower ball joints. They are a stupid design that catches water and rusts them from the inside out. I see it as part of the routine maintenance. Asides from that... I really can't complain. Its plugged on for years at over 50mpg and is by far the most comfortable car to sit in that i've owned. My other half has back trouble, and for that reason, I'm keeing mine till it dies! I'll be looking for a low mileage 2.0HDI 407 when that time comes.

IanRyan

RMS Regular
OP
IanRyan
Drives
207 GT
I've got a 1.6 407 with almost the very same mileage on it. Owned it for almost 7 years. The red turbo seal/washer gave up on mine last week. Mind you... looking at your pics.. your turbo is alot cleaner than mine. I've a degree of soot/carbon around that lubrication pipe.

Interesting to read about the sump removal - must get that done next oil change.

Only recurring issue I've had with mine is that it eats the lower ball joints. They are a stupid design that catches water and rusts them from the inside out. I see it as part of the routine maintenance. Asides from that... I really can't complain. Its plugged on for years at over 50mpg and is by far the most comfortable car to sit in that i've owned. My other half has back trouble, and for that reason, I'm keeing mine till it dies! I'll be looking for a low mileage 2.0HDI 407 when that time comes.

I've replaced the seal on my turbo aswell. Seems to be very common. Once we get better weather I'll be getting the car in the air and having a good look around the suspension as I have heard about the ball joints before.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.