Peugeot 508 Punches Above it's Weight

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
See the blog feature on this - Peugeot's 508 is the largest of its passenger car range and quite possibly one of the most eye- catching models the brand has ever produced.This latest model, released just a year ago, is almost unrecognisable in comparison to its predecessor, which was on sale for the previous seven years. Read the Full Article Here

IMG_6183-702x336.jpg

Read the Entire Article Here

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
My mate has a green estate version of this and it is absolutely awesome looking.

martinopy

RMS Regular
Drives
Granturismo
My wife got one on a cheap lease last year to replace her A4, really nice car and she prefers it to the Audi.

ItsAdamC

RMS Regular
Drives
Scrappers
I've worked as a mechanic in a peugeot dealer for the last 6 years or so and the improvements in the quality of the cars even in that time is insane. They've went massively upmarket in the past 3 years or so with the new 508s and 208s etc. Seen a hell of a lot more BMWs and audis etc traded in recently too

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
We got a 3008 a few months ago as a hire car and I would have it over the Tiguan any day of the week. Cracking wee SUV it was. Remember getting one years ago and it was absolutely awful, big change.

Always like Peugeot but would be a bit wary about the residuals tbh.

ItsAdamC

RMS Regular
Drives
Scrappers
We got a 3008 a few months ago as a hire car and I would have it over the Tiguan any day of the week. Cracking wee SUV it was. Remember getting one years ago and it was absolutely awful, big change.

The 3008s are a lovely car especially in GT trim with the 180bhp HDI engine and all the toys you could ever want. I was surprised when they came out just how well the 1.2 turbo engine pulls in a car of that size!

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I can't say anything bad about Peugeot's, have had one in some shape or form since the 90's, 405's, 306's etc and have never given any hassle. Currently have a Partner van with 200k miles on it, and apart from servicing and brakes, it's never needed anything else.

The 508's are a lovely looking car, but like @Coog, I'd be scared of resale again.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The 3008s are a lovely car especially in GT trim with the 180bhp HDI engine and all the toys you could ever want. I was surprised when they came out just how well the 1.2 turbo engine pulls in a car of that size!

Yes this was a GT and pretty sure was the 1.2 turbo petrol. In sport mode it was quite good fun especially with the small wheel.

Very well kitted too. Loved the massaging seats.

Screenshot_20200606_211842.jpg

Reactions: Ben

JamieG95

RMS Photographer
Drives
M3

Peugeot have been really tight on residuals over the last few years, in terms of percentages they’re performing better than some of the VW/BMW’s.

According to Auto Express the 3008 SUV is actually one of the slowest depreciating cars for sale in the UK with a 55% residual value. (After 3 Years/ 60k) So all good news for Peugeot. The 508 is heading in the same direction too! :cool:

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
I've worked as a mechanic in a peugeot dealer for the last 6 years or so and the improvements in the quality of the cars even in that time is insane. They've went massively upmarket in the past 3 years or so with the new 508s and 208s etc. Seen a hell of a lot more BMWs and audis etc traded in recently too
Not sure if it was you or not, but someone said before they worked in a franchise that sold Peugeot and Toyota and there was far less problems with the peugeots.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
When I bought the passat I seriously thought about a 2.2 hdi auto 508. There was a one for sale locally but I never even looked at it. I was terrified of horrible repair bills.

ItsAdamC

RMS Regular
Drives
Scrappers
Not sure if it was you or not, but someone said before they worked in a franchise that sold Peugeot and Toyota and there was far less problems with the peugeots.

Wasn't myself mate we are just Peugeot but I could well believe it. Most of my work is just normal wear and tear stuff. The worst engines we have had were actually the ones that BMW helped design (the 1.4,1.6 and 1.6Ts that were shared with Mini)

Last edited:

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I went got a test drive with a mate (pre COVID) in a e-208 GT and would have one in a heartbeat

The only thing stopping me is our second car is a 2010 Corsa 1.2 and it just keeps going giving us no bother at all am I can’t justify buying something to replace it until it dies really

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I spotted one of these a good few months back on the M2 and only when I caught up to it, did I find out it was a Peugeot. They really have upped their design language.

The only thing that doesn't sit well with me is Peugeots reluctance to move up to '9' (e.g. 209, 309, 409) - I assume it's to do with there already being a 309 in the 90s, but there have already been 208s, 508s etc - and why they just don't start from 1 again.

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane

My wife got one on a cheap lease last year to replace her A4, really nice car and she prefers it to the Audi.

Can't say you'd rather have a Peugeot over a VAG on RMS. I made this point about suggesting a 308 GTI as an alternative to the usual Golf etc and it didn't go down well.

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
Residuals are great for Peugeot's it seems 😂.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200610-214308.jpg
    Screenshot_20200610-214308.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 150

steeldevil

RMS Regular
Drives
Lexus IS300h
Going for a test drive in one of these at the weekend, hybrid version.

Interest is piqued, will be comparing it to the IS300h.

ItsAdamC

RMS Regular
Drives
Scrappers
What's up with the backwards rev counter? Can that be changed ?

Theres a few different options for your digital dash that can be changed as and when you wish like the digital dash in the VAG stuff

steeldevil

RMS Regular
Drives
Lexus IS300h
20200823_233652.jpg
20200823_233636.jpg

So I test drove this hybrid 508 GT at the weekend. Few Pros and Cons for anyone considering something like this: -

Pros

Fastback style is smart and stands out from all the SUVs and German equivalents.
Great quality interior, modern and comfortable.
Tech is right up to date, GT was full to the gills with features.
Plugin hybrid does about 160mpg real driving which is fantastic.

Cons

Road noise was considerable, may have been just the tires.
Seating position for anyone over 6ft is not comfortable, steering wheel at it's highest setting was rubbing my knees both sides.
Hybrid Engine/gearbox combo, albeit punchy felt a bit underwhelming - every time I accelerated it dropped a gear quite violently and felt quite strained.

I couldn't help but compare the car to my current Lexus IS300h and found the Lexus to win on most points except the tech and mpg. Overall I think it's a decent car but I would wait a couple of years for the residuals to drop before reviewing them again.

Reactions: Ben