PHEV Home Charge Point Recomendations

bull20

RMS Regular
Drives
163PS Focus
It's been a little while since I have posted on the forum, after getting a company car that I had to hold onto for 4/5 years I felt it best to steer clear of the new car threads and member's car thread temptations 8-|

I have ordered a new PHEV and am planning on getting a home charging point installed.

The car will charge at a rate of 3.3kW and I believe the battery is 9kWh, but for the sake of future proofing I was planning on getting a ~7kW charger.

Does anyone have any recommendations on suppliers/installers? I have had a few checks and the only companies I have come across are based in GB - although they will install in NI I guess its probably subcontracted?

Cheers

hannakournikova

RMS Regular

bull20

RMS Regular
OP
bull20
Drives
163PS Focus

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
The Zoe we had went back 6 months ago and they never took the charging unit with them, I assume we own it now ^o)

C3875452-5EDD-4E07-ACF3-411A4E2B4F6A.jpeg

Last edited:

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I’d have thought they would sell them on again or something, don’t really know what to do with...just leave it there I suppose lol

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I can’t mind who installed mine but it’s a tidy job. I got a grant too, cost me about £200 off the top of my head.

I have a Rolec Wallpod 32A

Sportwag

RMS Regular
Bavarian gave me a list of 3 installers - PowerNI (who advised me that they were no longer doing it), someone else seemingly based in the ROI who was only interested in flogging me the charger box and Baird Electrical in Cullybackey. Baird Electrical handled the grant paperwork and I paid £250 for the EO Charger. They will do an EO charger without a permanent lead for less but I am glad I went for the cable attached as it so easy to park and plug in each time.

As for public charging points, don't get me started... idiot planners, faulty charge points not repaired in months, drivers who use it as their designated all day parking spot, general congestion and poor infrastructure. You cannot rely on public charging... guy who rolled up in a Renault Zoe yesterday with less than 20% battery and a long wait ahead!

NI hasn't the infrastructure but at least I have a petrol engine when the battery runs out!

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
As for public charging points, don't get me started... idiot planners, faulty charge points not repaired in months, drivers who use it as their designated all day parking spot, general congestion and poor infrastructure. You cannot rely on public charging... guy who rolled up in a Renault Zoe yesterday with less than 20% battery and a long wait ahead!

NI hasn't the infrastructure but at least I have a petrol engine when the battery runs out!

This ^^^^^^

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Thanks mate, what charger output did you opt for?

EO 7kW Universal Charger as suggested by the fitter.

Works spot on, I have an 8mt lead from Merc, normal charge from the box on the main lead takes about 90 mins or there abouts, only give me 16 miles though, but have the petrol to back it.

Normal 3 pin plug into mains takes around 4 hours.

As has been said above, the NI infrastructure is terrible.

bull20

RMS Regular
OP
bull20
Drives
163PS Focus
There is a charge point near the gym I go to and another near our house, so hopefully that combined with the home charge point means I won't be too stuck!
Like you say, with the petrol engine for back up I shouldn't be stuck...

I did 100 miles around Belfast in the demo in 1 day and got 40mpg average after starting the day with 90% charge in the battery and no additional charging, at that the PPM rate we get should cover the fuel cost!

Car was ordered at the end of October and won't be here until early April!

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
There is a charge point near the gym I go to and another near our house, so hopefully that combined with the home charge point means I won't be too stuck!
Like you say, with the petrol engine for back up I shouldn't be stuck...

I did 100 miles around Belfast in the demo in 1 day and got 40mpg average after starting the day with 90% charge in the battery and no additional charging, at that the PPM rate we get should cover the fuel cost!

Car was ordered at the end of October and won't be here until early April!

What did you order?

bull20

RMS Regular
OP
bull20
Drives
163PS Focus
LOVELY, new 5 series looks great! I drove the 330e before ordering the Merc, If there had have been an estate I would've went for it.

The Merc was a close 2nd for me, but I just loved the 5 as soon as I got in it. Not as rapid as the Merc but decent!
Upgraded to the m-sport plus pack

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
The Merc was a close 2nd for me, but I just loved the 5 as soon as I got in it. Not as rapid as the Merc but decent!
Upgraded to the m-sport plus pack

I would call the Merc many things.... rapid wouldn't be one of them lol! Its a nice place to be though.

Hope the wait time doesn't drag too long for you, don't forget to get a thread up when it comes. Should be nice in the + pack!

bull20

RMS Regular
OP
bull20
Drives
163PS Focus
I would call the Merc many things.... rapid wouldn't be one of them lol! Its a nice place to be though.

Hope the wait time doesn't drag too long for you, don't forget to get a thread up when it comes. Should be nice in the + pack!

Really? I thought it was sub 6 seconds to 60, which isn't bad for a cruiser.
The wait is killing me! It may warrant a thread 8-| the diesel focus did not...

I called those folks you recommended above and they are going to get their sales guy to give me a ring (y)cheers!

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Bavarian gave me a list of 3 installers - PowerNI (who advised me that they were no longer doing it), someone else seemingly based in the ROI who was only interested in flogging me the charger box and Baird Electrical in Cullybackey. Baird Electrical handled the grant paperwork and I paid £250 for the EO Charger. They will do an EO charger without a permanent lead for less but I am glad I went for the cable attached as it so easy to park and plug in each time.

Agree 100% with everything you say. It put me off going electric again. That and the ridiculous price of a new lease for a Zoe. I would consider a hybrid in the future but would need to come with a warranty.

Sportwag

RMS Regular
I waited the same for my 530e MSport which (in my opinion) is the best PHEV there is atm - the estate would have been better but they won't build one. The only disappointment is the boot which is shallow but it wouldn't have put me off.

Until the range is 200+ miles, electric cars won't become mainstream in NI.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
With the announcement of petrol & diesel cars apparently being scrapped in 2040 a lot of folk are getting excited and jumping on the band wagon of hybrid & electric which is pushing out lead times on these cars new

It’s all too quickly highlighting some fundmental flaws in the idea of everyone going electric.

Hopefully they learn quickly and improve the infrastructure.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Really? I thought it was sub 6 seconds to 60, which isn't bad for a cruiser.
The wait is killing me! It may warrant a thread 8-| the diesel focus did not...

I called those folks you recommended above and they are going to get their sales guy to give me a ring (y)cheers!

Never feels that quick tbh, it really does not like being ragged to any degree. Think it’s hard to compare coming from an F31 330d

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
EO 7kW Universal Charger as suggested by the fitter.

Works spot on, I have an 8mt lead from Merc, normal charge from the box on the main lead takes about 90 mins or there abouts, only give me 16 miles though, but have the petrol to back it.

Normal 3 pin plug into mains takes around 4 hours.

As has been said above, the NI infrastructure is terrible.

16 miles?