PHEV Home Charge Point Recomendations

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Economy 7 style heaters need a comeback for all these home produced electricity setups.

Where electric cannot be sold for profit or stored....it should be pumped into heating the home, not just water for the immersion etc. But as most homes here are heated by oil or gas, there is little way to make use of any excess.

Unless a separate electric water heater could be used and them that pumped around the heating circuits. Although it'd probably need a hell of an excess ! But even if it could provide some heat, it would still be a cost saver, and E7 storage heaters although ugly...are in many ways an ideal solution.

I recall working in the Ordnance survey building at Stranmillis. They had the biggest electric water heating system I'd ever seen ! Not sure exactly what it was used for as they were removing it when I was there, but by **** it was massive with 4 huge electric heating elements in a water tank near the size of a 40ft container.

They had some fun cutting that ****er up to get it out of the building through a normal doorway lol

I have an Immersun unit which takes surplus generated electric and diverts it to my immersion heat (heater 1 setting). It is easy enough to connect a storage heater to it (heater 2 setting) but in my experience there isn’t anywhere near enough electricity spare to run a second heater. Yes in the summer it would work but you don’t really need heating.
Now I know someone for whom this works out ok for him BUT he has 26 panels so an extra 10 panels more than a normal domestic setup. He has his heater in his conservatory.

If you have an electric car then you won’t really have any spare.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Yearly:
F37A8998-6A2A-4D47-9FC6-907403634AED.jpeg

May:
4A454169-2C84-4607-A4BF-3344BFC4C705.jpeg

January:
A7F0F7C2-D4D1-4568-B822-990714B99287.jpeg

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Baird electrical did mine (7kw tethered) but did not offer me the option of a zappi which would have been useful as I have solar panels. Did not have a clue about this stuff as it was my first plug in vehicle - next charger will be a zappi. Have 23 solar panels and use economy 7 electric; night time use is approx. 80 per cent of what we use in the day but actual bill has only gone up by about 40 quid per month so still a lot cheaper than petrol. Excess electric heating immersion heater and this saves a load of oil during the year.